Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a "grail" jacket worth?

Edward

Bartender
I can't imagine ever having one perfect leather jacket any more than one perfect pair of shoes for all occasions, or one perfect suit... I'm sure I can get it down to just about a dozen, though, if I really try..... ;)

Those jackets aren't uncommon, in all sizes, and so should be realisable at a much lower price point (a few hundred rather than a few thousand). But then, you were in Ralph Lauren, hardly a cut price joint.

I don't think I was clear in my OP, this jacket is an original horsehide 20s or 30s American jacket... NoT a RRL copy.
All that distressing is real, and it felt soooo nice. Just a tad too short in the back and slightly snug in the chest or I would have needed an intervention....
Oh yeah, the price is what snapped me out of the haze.
:)

but then....the Real McCoys jackets I tried on nearby were all around $2500...
Crazy, huh?

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I'm with Edward, unless you are one of the Ramones there's no single jacket that is going to serve in every situation. My aim is to have three, maybe four, which is a lot by regular standards but not a lot for folks like us with the jacket bug. The ideal collection as I see it is short jackets in black and brown and a longer jacket in black with maybe another longer one in brown or cordovan. You could add an Aeromarine, A1, A2 or (leather) type 3 or something similar for summer but I have two really nice summer wear jackets already so I don't worry about that.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
If you look at that question logically... you need at least 8 Grail Coats/Jackets. Ahem (Ahem Ah Say):

2 for Fall, one brown one black. Leather lightly lined with wool or alpaca. For me 50's HB and/or Indy.
2 for Winter, probably one shearling lined and one good woolie. I'd go B6 or D1, and a real peacoat or Duffle, mebbe Irvin.
2 for Spring, same line up as the fall, cept you might swap out Hercules, Windward of LHB.
2 for Summer, A2's, A1's with plain cotton drill. Here's where you bring in your "beater" you don't mind sweatin' through and hitting the ground in.

Welp that's my "theory" and ah'm stickin' to it!

Worf

I have my grail jacket but in a smaller size so it is my "Guide to the Grail".
Anybody want to trade a Hercules FQHH Half Belt size 44R for the one I have size 40R???

GTDean, that wouldn't be the beauty that Mr. Forrest let go of a few months back- would it?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Those jackets aren't uncommon, in all sizes, and so should be realisable at a much lower price point (a few hundred rather than a few thousand). But then, you were in Ralph Lauren, hardly a cut price joint.

My thoughts exactly. I can't imagine a grail jacket - you need a selection to suit mood, look, occasion and weather. May be what I need is a grail wardrobe: a hand-crafted one, reinforced to take the weight of FFQH, fitted with just the right gauge of multi-use hangers, linen coat covers, cedar-lined drawers big enough to store shearling jackers, multiple shoe trees, etc etc. :D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
My thoughts exactly. I can't imagine a grail jacket - you need a selection to suit mood, look, occasion and weather. May be what I need is a grail wardrobe: a hand-crafted one, reinforced to take the weight of FFQH, fitted with just the right gauge of multi-use hangers, linen coat covers, cedar-lined drawers big enough to store shearling jackers, multiple shoe trees, etc etc. :D

You're quite "mad" but I like the way you're thinkin'!

Worf

Which is exactly why my wife calls me gay lol

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I can see where you're coming from - it's an awfy nice jacket, so why not two in different colours/fits - so if you can spare the cash, go for it! Hell, you've got a whole year and a half to scrape the rest of the money and rationalise the buyer's remorse before it lands on your doorstep. ;) Personally, I have a cordovan bootlegger/sunburst combo still sitting at the back of my mind - only once the credit card drops down to a manageable level though - but then again there's always the April Show...:eeek:

pauleway

Practically Family
I got me a little spare dosh surprise from work yesterday. Do I need more jeans, boots, or a jacket? Just got two Deck Jackets this week, so I'm close to popping for another Ventura in badassi cow. Help? ;)

I know you were contemplating a 2-tone jacket a while back. Think about a 2-tone Ventura. You don't have to over-do the 2-tone, just subtle contrast. I have an Aero 2- toner and love it!

pauleway

Practically Family
I can't imagine ever having one perfect leather jacket any more than one perfect pair of shoes for all occasions, or one perfect suit... I'm sure I can get it down to just about a dozen, though, if I really try..... ;)

My idea of a "Grail" jacket is not having just one jacket that fits all occasions, but a jacket that fits, looks, and feels exactly how you want it to, and is even better than what you expected when you ordered it. The one you feel really good in everytime you're wearing it. Thats why, if you're lucky, you can have more than just one!;)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Just what is a Grail jacket? At one time I always wanted an original wartime A2, I got one that I wore everywhere during the 80s, not so much during the 90s and hardly ever these days. Then my Grail became a Horsey Highwayman and I got two of those. Over the years I have 'Always wanted' all sorts and at the time that was it I would never need another leather jacket. And so we come to the present day. I traded my original Aero[Battersea] A2 for a brand new Teamster and that is it. But is it? Only time will tell.

I know you were contemplating a 2-tone jacket a while back. Think about a 2-tone Ventura. You don't have to over-do the 2-tone, just subtle contrast. I have an Aero 2- toner and love it!

Ha!~ I've been chatting with JC about just that too. Possibly two tones of Badassi cows. When he was on board with the idea I knew it wasn't too off the mark. So that indeed may be it. It would be so different that I would not care of its the same base model. Thanks for reaffirming that idea pauleway!

pauleway

Practically Family
Just what is a Grail jacket? At one time I always wanted an original wartime A2, I got one that I wore everywhere during the 80s, not so much during the 90s and hardly ever these days. Then my Grail became a Horsey Highwayman and I got two of those. Over the years I have 'Always wanted' all sorts and at the time that was it I would never need another leather jacket. And so we come to the present day. I traded my original Aero[Battersea] A2 for a brand new Teamster and that is it. But is it? Only time will tell.

I think it was J.D Souther who told Don Henley, "Time passes, things Change"!!

pauleway

Practically Family
Ha!~ I've been chatting with JC about just that too. Possibly two tones of Badassi cows. When he was on board with the idea I knew it wasn't too off the mark. So that indeed may be it. It would be so different that I would not care of its the same base model. Thanks for reaffirming that idea pauleway!

Glad to help. a.k.a. - "The Pusher"!!:cool:

Last edited:
Glad to help. a.k.a. - "The Pusher"!!:cool:

To be fair, I did dump six jackets now since I got the Ventura. It's that good. So, I have the Ventura, the Aero 50s HBD, and an Aero Bronco A-2 as far as the top-shelf leather bits. So one more good grail-esque jacket is not too bad, right? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart