Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a sponge bag?

tuppence

Practically Family
That was funny.
I'm a big sponge Bob fan

A sponge bag is a bit like a big make-up bag
You take it on holidays and will contain things like
toothbrush/paste, deodorant, soap etc.
Probably back in the day people liked to take their sponge as well, hence the name

Neany73

New in Town
I quite often use sponge bag instead of toiletry bag as it's what my gran always said. Dobb kit is new to me though!

swinggal

One Too Many
Sponge bags were still called that when I was a kid. They were used for toiletries that may get wet after use. Makeup wasn't kept in a sponge bag at all. Juts things like toothbrushes, soap box, shampoo bottle, brush, comb etc.

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
from what I recall a sponge bag is like a smallish drawstring bag that you put your basic toiletries in so you can carry it to the bathroom.
I remember mine as a child when we used to go on holidays caravanning - running to the shower block at night with it clutched to my chest.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's another word - caravanning - what we call camping.

Yes, in most old houses and hotels and rooming houses in England (therefore in Agatha Cristie books) there was one shared bathroom per floor.

So you would need a bag to carry all your bathing supplies in, including your sponge! I think they used to be a drawstring bag made of waterproofed fabric.

Carlisle Blues

I never leave home without mine :)

41WGu5eNl2L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
KittyT said:
(like many other items), you can find them under both the correct and incorrect names.
I feel the spirit of your comment and I agree; Were it not for the interweb, I wouldn't know jack.

Carlisle Blues

DOPP KIT - "A Dopp kit once was standard issue upon a boy's entrance into manhood. It's still the best way to keep a man's grooming tools conveniently organized. First designed by Charles Doppelt in 1919 to withstand the rigors of traveling." From The Vermont Country Store "Voice of the Mountains" catalog, Winter 2005. Page 81.

A rose is a rose. In other words it does not matter what it's called it serves the same function.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot