Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a Trolley Cord?

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
If this is the same thing as a wind cord, then its purpose is to prevent the hat from blowing away if it is blown off your head. You deploy the elastic cord and button the button somewhere on your coat or clothing.

I was once told that the button on the back of oxford shirt collars provided a convenient place to button your windcord.

None of this information should be considered infallible, just hearsay!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Aha

That maes perfect sense. I saw two VERY nice hats at the antique mall tonight. Both had cords, both, sadly much too small. There were also several WWII crushers, helmets, and a nifty felt covered helmet I had never seen before.

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
As I haunt eBay I notice the plethora of smaller size vintage hats. I guess excess nutrition in our affluent society has bred a race with larger noggins :)

I have to have at least a 7 5/8 for my oversize melon. I haven't really looked hard, but my few forays into antique stores have not produced interesting hats.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well...

That is what the hat I saw at the antique mall looked like. Is that a beret? I am mistaken about it being the same then.
The one I saw was rounded like that. I thought "beret." Then I picked it up, quite heavy, and the top was rounded and hard. Under the (wool, I think) was a helmet. On the front was an insignia I did not recognize. The sweat was leather. No brim at all. But the cloth covering was... loose, not tight to the helmet underneath.
I go to this mall every two week for a run-through after my haircut. Maybe I'll try and get a snap next time.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Tintinabulation

I'd say that is IT. The fabric was a little tighter. As in the smaller real photos. Fabric I saw, again, was military green/khaki.

This was offered by a seller of militaria. This helmet was simply identifed as "hat." I didn't note the price. It could not have been more than a 6&5/8 or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner