Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Art Moderne?

poshgirlvintage

New in Town
Hi again.

I have this silk tie (below) that has a print on the silk on the back "Art Moderne" along with a silk tag and a Robinson's tag/label.

Is this a style or a brand of clothing?

I have allot of special men's clothing but don't list it for sale because I know so little about men's vintage. Is there a site that one can learn about what is collectible in men's ties?

Thanks for the help!!!

Brigitte
tag.jpg

2.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Art Moderne

It the movement immediately after Art Deco and overlapping with same and then absorbing the Steamline style in the USA.

Lumelux

New in Town
As a collector of Moderne/Art Moderne/Art Deco/Machine Age, I can safely say that they are all one and the same. Typically from 1927 to about 1935 when the term Streamlined was used more often. Deco and Machine Age are more recent terms but at the time Moderne and Modernistic were used in advertisements for Furniture and everyday items. Hope this helps.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
In furniture and jewellery, Art Deco had more detail, especially those parallel lines or stripes. Moderne was a simpler style, trying to look "machine age". Moderne furniture had more large rectangular flat surfaces, and blonde or light colored woods were more common.
Here is an online vendor who has magnificent stuff, with dates. Peruse it for a while and you'll start seeing the distinctions between the styles.
http://www.decodame.com/index.html
Aside from stylistic differences, stuff from before 1935 or 37 seems to be called Deco, and stuff from the 40's or early 50's gets called Moderne.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR