Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is it about horsehide?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I just read the article... sorry for the off-topic, but is it really illegal to eat horse meat in the US?
didn't know about it. too bad, horse steak is delicious...
Anyone know WHY it is illegal to eat horse meat in the USA? Is there some kind of 'Mad horse disease' like we had with cows?
Or is it just sentimental sh*te?
John

les_garten

One of the Regulars
Anyone know WHY it is illegal to eat horse meat in the USA? Is there some kind of 'Mad horse disease' like we had with cows?
John

Dude, you can't eat Flicka or Flipper, everyone knows that!

We make movies, that's why, soon we'll all be Tofu eaters, the land of the Tofu eaters!

We make some Horse Movies(Westerns), no more eatin' Horsies!
Japan eats Dolphin and absolutely hates them as Vermin, we got Flipper!
Go to Africa and see if those folks Love Chimps, Chimps are killers. We got Cheetah and Bonzo!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
John

Not sentimentality. Phenylbutazone (used as an analgesic in horses) is reported to cause aplastic anaemia in humans.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
There was a bucher who sold really good horse meat where I lived in the sixties. I bought steaks a few times and they were really good. A bit like a cross between beef and venison.

It's just misplaced sentimentality. I like horses but they are slaughtered for pet food in thousands. There is an oversupply and in hard times they cost a lot to look after properly too. A lot of people who want to move on the kids outgrown pony don't like to enquire too deeply as to what the dealer they sell it to is going to do with it; and if it's cheap and the dealer promises it'll go to a good home it will more than likely end up as pet food.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
The point is that horses have found their way into the UK food chain recently through unscrupulous suppliers.
There have been several scandals recently where 'processed beef' has contained significant amounts (and most recently 100%) horsemeat.
These horses are not raised for food - their origin (and their medical history) is entirely unknown.
So...if you were unlucky enough to have bought/consumed some of these products you'd better give a flip (or something stronger) about their arthritis...

les_garten

One of the Regulars
The point is that horses have found their way into the UK food chain recently through unscrupulous suppliers.
There have been several scandals recently where 'processed beef' has contained significant amounts (and most recently 100%) horsemeat.
These horses are not raised for food - their origin (and their medical history) is entirely unknown.
So...if you were unlucky enough to have bought/consumed some of these products you'd better give a flip (or something stronger) about their arthritis...

Clutching at Straws.

It all would come down to prevalence.

And the original question was why Horse Consumption was dropped in the US. It had nothing to do with Horseies hanging out chomping on Advil...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Beyond the health implications, it's turned into a question of trust. If I sold you something, told you it's one thing, and then later on you find out not only was it something else (possibly inferior) but that there were potential health implications in too, I'd be furious - barring the health bit, does this not sound a little familiar?
Of course, there are those who say that if you pay the lowest price possible for a food product, then you shouldn't surprised when something like this turns up. Conversely, trade descriptions legislation would dictate that if I sell you something I describe as beef lasagne, but that up to 100 per cent of the meat contained in it once sported a mane and tail, well, you're going to have a lot of explaining to do, aren't you...

So, let me get things straight. Aero sold steerhide as horsehide. Now, someone is selling horse meat as steer meat? Man, I going to get some chicken nuggets...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
In WWII my mother ate (and her father sold) horse meat and whale meat. They were lucky being butchers in those times of rationing.
There were some nice burgers dong the rounds in the 1980s too, think Shergar! Quality meat I reckon;) I did try a horse burger in France some years back, it was a speciality in that area[Alsace]. The burger bar even had a great light up plastic horses head outside.
As for Chimps! An African guy at my works once had a taste for 'Bush meat', he told me it's ok but hard to get over here in the UK. I think he meant illegal haha.
Flipper? Do dolphin steaks fit on the plate like swordfish slices or too big?
When you are hungry you would eat anything I reckon, just ask the Donners and the Reeds back in 1846, Horses, cattle, Indian scouts(the Native Americans, not the motorcycles) and even granny.
JohnnyTeeeee

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
As to the original, original question:
I'm a bit perplexed that horsehide has developed the mystique that it has around here. I used to think that some folks were drawn to horsehide because of the grain of the product, but the whole Aero situation has shown that the two hide types are practically indistinguishable from one another when the final product is examined. For those that have owned both quality steerhide and horsehide and have developed a preference for horsehide, I'd be interested to know what is it about the horsehide that you prefer? Did you develop this preference over time?

I'm every bit as curious now after receiving and living with my FQHH jacket as I was before when I created this thread. I'll have to go back and re-read through the early part of this thread to find some of the more relevant answers. In the end, it seems our answers are as different from one another as we are as individuals.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925