Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is it about the Campdraft?

kaosharper1

One Too Many
kabuto said:
I have two Campdrafts, and I love them. When I said, "It's cheap," I was responding to the original question, the title of this thread:

"What is it about the Campdraft [that appeals to so many]?"

"It's cheap [(i.e., inexpensive) for a "real hat", so you can wear it hard and if necessary replace it when you wear it out]."

I wouldn't wear my Johnnyphi's in a hard rain, but I would the Campdraft. So it liberates me to wear a fairly nice hat in rough conditions. I don't go hatless because I'm afraid of ruing a hat, but on the other hand I don't have to wear a POS cloth or wool hat.

Yes, and its low cost only because of a favorable exchange rate. The hats are great and tough. I never worry about wearing my Akubras in hard weather. Of course, now that I live in southern california, that's not much of an issue, but its still the truth.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
Among the responses from Ron at HatsDirect (found on that thread) is the assertion that the Akubra Campdraft is exactly the same hat that Akubra made as the Open Road before their relationship with HATCO (Stetson) was broken in the 90's. Therefore it is entirely possible that the Campdraft is more true to a vintage OR than the current HATCO model.

Here is the "photographic evidence" I promised a while back. These photos are from eBay -- the hat came from a Seller in Australia who claimed to have purchased it sometime in the 80's. Although not pictured, the sweat apparently contains the phrase "Made in Australia." So, this would appear to be an Open Road made in Australia under license from Stetson. I think it's pretty clear that this lid is a match to the Akubra Campdraft -- the ribbon treatment is very "Akubra."

4502_1.jpg

4ae4_1.jpg

4e22_1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

deadhead

New in Town
Fitting a Campdraft

(I reposted this from a short email trail in the Classified section. It's more appropriate here, or perhaps even some place else...)

I acquired a 59cm Campdraft. It arrived on Christmas Eve. It's simply to big for my noggin, even though a 59cm Fed IV fits me just fine. I measured the 59 Fed IV at 58.5cm. The Campdraft taped out at an even 59cm. It's only 0.5cm, but I think there's more to it. Being a novice, take what I say with a grain of salt. These are just my unedumicated observations.

The Campdraft seems to have a more rounded crown--a nearly round noggin cavity. The Fed IV seemed to have a slightly oval shape when new--can't swear to that now. Even though we're just talking 0.5 centimeter, I can slip both my thumbs under the brim simultaneously at my temples with the Campdraft. Couldn't do that with the Fed IV. The Fed IV is comfortable without any padding (although a dollar bill on each side might not hurt anything), and if I pull it down in back, it stays on my head in the wind. The Campdraft fits pretty well front and back. In fact, it may even be ever so slightly tighter front and back than the Fed IV, which would make sense if I'm right about it being more round to begin with. I've been told I'm a long oval anyway. Is it simply possible that the way the Campdraft is blocked is not optimum for the shape of my skull? I'd be willing to try shrinking it, if I thought I had a reasonable chance of success. I've got a small clothes steamer, if that would help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

deadhead

RBH

Bartender
jimmy the lid said:
Here is the "photographic evidence" I promised a while back. These photos are from eBay -- the hat came from a Seller in Australia who claimed to have purchased it sometime in the 80's. Although not pictured, the sweat apparently contains the phrase "Made in Australia." So, this would appear to be an Open Road made in Australia under license from Stetson. I think it's pretty clear that this lid is a match to the Akubra Campdraft -- the ribbon treatment is very "Akubra."

4502_1.jpg

4ae4_1.jpg

4e22_1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL
Thanks Jim... this hat looks more Open Road that the Open Road!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
deadhead said:
Is it simply possible that the way the Campdraft is blocked is not optimum for the shape of my skull? I'd be willing to try shrinking it, if I thought I had a reasonable chance of success. I've got a small clothes steamer, if that would help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

deadhead -- my best advice is to do absolutely nothing to the Campdraft for a little while. Wear it -- even though it is a tad large for your noggin. My R.M./Campdraft was exactly this way when I first bought it. But after wearing it for a bit, the lid shrunk down just the right amount, and fits beautifully. Give this a try before taking any steps to try to shrink the lid using other means.

Cheers,
JtL

carter

I'll Lock Up
Agreed

RBH said:
Thanks Jim... this hat looks more Open Road that the Open Road!
I'm glad Jim posted these photos. They support Ron's statement that Akubra simply changed the name, when their relationship with Stetson ended, and continued to make the OR as a Campdraft.
This may be as close to a vintage/old style OR as someone can buy in a modern production hat. We can hope that the Campdraft becomes a staple of the Akubra line and more color options become available.

RBH

Bartender
carter said:
I'm glad Jim posted these photos. They support Ron's statement that Akubra simply changed the name, when their relationship with Stetson ended, and continued to make the OR as a Campdraft.
This may be as close to a vintage/old style OR as someone can buy in a modern production hat. We can hope that the Campdraft becomes a staple of the Akubra line and more color options become available.
I also think the way the Campdraft is creased in most photos i.e on sellers sites[the porkpie looking crease] was another way to get away from the more 'Open Road' look, being the hat is open crowned you could do any of the shape creases.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Rusty! Here is the description of "campdrafting"...

"Where and when campdrafting started in Australia seems unclear.* The more research I do the less clear it becomes.* It appears that the time was between 1880 and 1890.* One thing we know for sure is this great horse sport was made in Australia.* Horses, drovers and stockmen played a huge part in the opening up of this young country and the inevitable competition over who had the best horse and who was the best rider would have been the reason for a more serious and formal contest to evolve.

The very basic idea of campdrafting is when one mounted rider moves into a small yard, called a camp, and selects one beast from a small mob of cattle.* He or she then proceeds to move the beast towards the camp opening - which is blocked by either men on horses or two gates with men holding them shut.* The mounted rider blocks and turns his beast several times across the face of the camp (the single beast tries his hardest to get past the rider and back into the mob).* When the rider feels he has shown the Judge enough of his horse's ability to hold the beast clear of the mob, he calls for the gates to be opened so he can take his beast out into a much larger area to complete a course.* The course consists of two pegs (usually small trees) set apart, one on the left and one on the right, directly out from the front of the camp.* Some distance out from the two pegs are two more - but this time they are set much closer together and represent the gate.* The judge declares at the beginning of the contest if the course is left hand or right hand.* If a right hand course is set it means you must complete a circle around the peg on the right hand side first, changeover in the middle and complete a circle around the left peg, then drive the beast out behind the gate - and push it through the gap.* This represents a full course.

In early times there were no yards and no pegs.* As the sport evolved and more and more horsemen and women participated more rules were needed to clarify different situations.* Each competitor is allowed the same time in which to attempt to complete his/her run.* The scoring is out of 100 points.* The camp section carries a maximum of 26 points, the course, a maximum of 4 points and a further 70 points can be allocated for horsework.* The competitor with the highest score wins the contest."

Cheers,
JtL

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
deadhead said:
(I reposted this from a short email trail in the Classified section. It's more appropriate here, or perhaps even some place else...)

I acquired a 59cm Campdraft. It arrived on Christmas Eve. It's simply to big for my noggin, even though a 59cm Fed IV fits me just fine. I measured the 59 Fed IV at 58.5cm. The Campdraft taped out at an even 59cm. It's only 0.5cm, but I think there's more to it. Being a novice, take what I say with a grain of salt. These are just my unedumicated observations.

The Campdraft seems to have a more rounded crown--a nearly round noggin cavity. The Fed IV seemed to have a slightly oval shape when new--can't swear to that now. Even though we're just talking 0.5 centimeter, I can slip both my thumbs under the brim simultaneously at my temples with the Campdraft. Couldn't do that with the Fed IV. The Fed IV is comfortable without any padding (although a dollar bill on each side might not hurt anything), and if I pull it down in back, it stays on my head in the wind. The Campdraft fits pretty well front and back. In fact, it may even be ever so slightly tighter front and back than the Fed IV, which would make sense if I'm right about it being more round to begin with. I've been told I'm a long oval anyway. Is it simply possible that the way the Campdraft is blocked is not optimum for the shape of my skull? I'd be willing to try shrinking it, if I thought I had a reasonable chance of success. I've got a small clothes steamer, if that would help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

deadhead

I have both the Campdraft and Fed IV in size 59 also. The Campdraft was the bigger of the two. I did use a little steam to bash and used carefully and sparsely around the crown. I'm not sure I'd suggest that in your case though. What really made it conform to my head was wearing it. I also wore it in the rain. It feels like it was designed for the shape of my head now. The Fed IV, which I haven't worn as much is just a little large still, but I know it will also conform to my head the more I wear it.

Someone posted here that they put some of the sizing tape behind the sweatband and wore it like that for awhile. Eventually they had to remove the tape as the sweatband shrunk and conformed. I would try that, especially since the Fed was such a good fit for you from the start.

Chuck Bobuck said:
I have both the Campdraft and Fed IV in size 59 also. The Campdraft was the bigger of the two. I did use a little steam to bash and used carefully and sparsely around the crown. I'm not sure I'd suggest that in your case though. What really made it conform to my head was wearing it. I also wore it in the rain. It feels like it was designed for the shape of my head now. The Fed IV, which I haven't worn as much is just a little large still, but I know it will also conform to my head the more I wear it.

Someone posted here that they put some of the sizing tape behind the sweatband and wore it like that for awhile. Eventually they had to remove the tape as the sweatband shrunk and conformed. I would try that, especially since the Fed was such a good fit for you from the start.

On HatsDirect's website they openly admit that the Fed IV's run ~1/2 size small, I think that's true regardless on what size you get, my 58 campdraft is larger than the 58 Fed IV, but a little foam padding snugged it enought to be comfortable. I'm actually looking for a way to stretch out my Fed IV a little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk