Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What IS this?

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
I found this mingled in a box with some old keys that either belonged to my Great-Grandfather or Grandfather (both were born in Iowa). Doing a little research, there was a David Bogard, clothier who lived in Muscatine from the 1860's - 1940's, so the time frame is right.

This is approx. 2" x 5/8". Not sure what metal it is. Makes a neat retro pendant for me, but I would love to know what its original purpose was. Maybe one of you could help me with that.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2396/2396438913_6c95b79baa.jpg?v=0

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Those look a lot like key return tags, if they're not.... maybe it was a way for a merchant cleaner to get their clients clothing back when they had laundered it for him? You register your name and address with modern keytag groups, like today's WarAmps keytags, maybe it was the same with the tags you have?

However, no matter what it is, it appears that your Great Grandpa didn't return David Bogard's metal tags at some point!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
A former co-worker of mine had something very similar that belonged to his grandfather, except it was issued by a clothier in Wilmington, Delaware. What his actually was is a very early example of a credit card (his grandfather called it a charge plate). I can't say with any certainty that this is also the same type of thing, but it is quite similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran