Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Vanson Competition Weight?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Is it 3oz or heavier? I like the jackets but I don't need a heavy one. I know Vanson do a 2.5 oz Firenze leather too but these are harder to get .

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Is it 3oz or heavier? I like the jackets but I don't need a heavy one. I know Vanson do a 2.5 oz Firenze leather too but these are harder to get .
hi.its defo more than 3oz..i have a cobra.an enfield and best of the lot for hot days is a cobra with properf front.the comp weight is easily as heavy as the steerhide that aero used on my h/hide highwayman..the properf would be great for oz..wish i had mine wen i was last in geelong.peter

roadking04

Practically Family
I have a competion weight hardcore highwayman. It is 3.5 oz. Thier competion weight is VERY stiff and takes a very long time to break in. My jacket weighs about 8 pounds.

Peacoat

Bartender
I have the competition weight. It is a heavy and stiff leather. It took me a season or two to break it in, and that was doing extra sessions in the house during the summer, and wearing it to work, doing chores, etc. My size 44 weighs in at 7 lbs. The same as my Aero Highwayman and my Johnson Leathers in the heavy steer. Although the Johnson is a tougher beast than either the Aero or the Vanson. I have had it for 9 months, and while a long way from being broken in, it is just now getting comfortable to wear.

Today, while my Vanson still stands on its own about 1/2 way, it is broken in and comfortable to wear. It is a serious motorcycle jacket.

If you are looking for an easy to wear jacket that weighs in at about 4.5 lbs. (my size 44), I would go with Johnson Leathers in the 3.5 oz. cowhide. Mine was comfortable to wear out of the box, and has broken in with good graining throughout. Although many riders, including police officers, use this weight for riding, I like something heavier. I bought this jacket as a street jacket, and have been very happy with it. For their off the rack jackets, your midsection needs to be about 6" smaller (or less) around than your chest, because their jackets are built on a V model. They make fitting easy by sending a test jacket in the size you think you will wear, and you go from there, either a size or two up or down, or the custom route. I got a size larger because the Johnson leathers are a fitted jacket. I wanted to be able to breathe and wear a vest or sweater under the street jacket.

So, my recommendation is to leave the Vanson competition weight to the riders who want good "go down" protection in a leather jacket, and think more along the lines of the Johnson Leathers in a 3.5 oz., or lighter, cowhide. I think you will be well satisfied.

I did just that in 1991. Saved MY hide too. Jacket had only scuffs on the arms. Those were made in the USA jackets. Not sure what the weight was then, but she was heavy, thick, and a work of art. When I ride, it's about surviving - if I can look good too, great. If it's mostly for walking around and bars, get a lighter hide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou