Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your cleaning procedure for a “new” secondhand jacket?

Schambach

Practically Family
I'd wash in a bath tub or bucket. It's kind of cool to see the color of the water too :eek:

You could do washing machine, but like others mentioned, delicate cycle, preferably non agitator. you want to let it soak though. that's why I like the bucket. I can do a proper wash, then lighter wash just letting it soak. Then by the color of the water, I know how close I am.

As for drying, I'd put in spin cycle to get out as much water as possible. And not that I had any bad experiences, but I've always dried on coat hanger zipped up. Mentally at least, it felt like it was going to dry in proper shape and not get out of wack. And if you're happy with the fit, definitely not in the sun or dryer. A room temperature room is fine, away from heater, etc.

Once it's fully dry, you can hang out in the sun for a day or two, maybe turning inside out if the liner is the issue. Wind and sun really do make a difference. And then you can condition while it's hanging out there too.

Just when I'd talked myself into throwing it in the washer! That's a very good point though, about using the color of the water as indicator of how dirty it is, and how much more washing/soaking it might require. Were you using a dish soap? Dawn or something like it?

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Just when I'd talked myself into throwing it in the washer! That's a very good point though, about using the color of the water as indicator of how dirty it is, and how much more washing/soaking it might require. Were you using a dish soap? Dawn or something like it?
Yep, Dawn. Just like a half teaspoon or so in a 5 gallon bucket. And if liner is the main issue, once wet, I'd apply a little extra on your hand and then rub down to a lather.

For jackets needing a wash in the tub, I use the following (clean smell and it’s supposed to kill mold, etc.):
4ABF6AEE-B702-4DEF-BE0A-B93595E4D332.jpeg

For odors: Jacket goes in a box with an ozone machine. Then outside getting sun and air for as long as it takes. Best solution I’ve found. Repeat if required.

For thirsty leather care: Dr. Jackson’s conditioner or Obenaufs Leather oil. Once quenched of thirst (may be a couple/few applications), I may add a light layer of Pecards dressing as a protective layer. All of my really old jackets get this treatment. Softens them up and they look young again.

For light cracks/light flaking, say within the cuff: Assuming it isn’t too far gone and I really want the jacket— A light layer or two of a leather binder then maybe Pecards black dressing or any of the countless black dye/leather paint I own. Stops it cold. Not leather glue, though I have that for other projects.

Leather binder?
Do you have a link?

Here you go. I also took a pic of the Flexifil, which is more of a paste. I use that for deeper cuts. I’ve been hit with rocks while riding that have sliced or gashed my jackets.

DB8DE1AE-397E-4558-8ACD-97F7CC48F664.jpeg
815378B4-151C-4BA6-9286-2CE42999D8F2.jpeg

I rarely have had to use the products. Once or twice each. But nice to have and know they work. Then dab dye or paint over.

Yamahana

One Too Many
Here you go. I also took a pic of the Flexifil, which is more of a paste. I use that for deeper cuts. I’ve been hit with rocks while riding that have sliced or gashed my jackets.

View attachment 363280 View attachment 363281

I rarely have had to use the products. Once or twice each. But nice to have and know they work. Then dab dye or paint over.
Do you or anyone else happen to have any experience with Klucel G as a leather binder for rot or flaking leather? I’ve thought of trying some on a jacket collar that needs some help.
D340B238-AC94-4659-A487-8052ED0A3761.png

Klucel G Leather Stabilizer - Preservation Solutions (preservation-solutions.com)

Last edited:
I have not heard of Klucel, but it looks like the flexifil. More of a paste?

The binder is a liquid that soaks into light cracking or flaking leather. Though if it’s rot you are out of gas.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
It totally depends.

if it's from a thrift store, you might want to let it air out for awhile.

But...Maybe a musty leather garment?

I've tried wiping with Vinegar and dabbed with some saddle soap, and hung it out to dry. Repeat if necessary.

if it's dried out and fragile I try my best to quench the thirsty leather with some oil. If it's tough leather I can work in some mink oil, three coats and dry between each.

if it's too fragile, I use neatsfoot oil that will soak up with less working it in.

you can use whatever works best in every situation, but there's some really stubborn smells to get out of clothes sometimes like smoke or perfumes...in that case, it could take a long time.

But most of the time I try not to do any cleaning or anything, unless absolutely necessary.

Schambach

Practically Family
So, I’ve given the jacket a good wipe down with lexol, let it sit for a few hours, and then turned inside out for a nice cold bath in the tub, with a tiny bit of dawn, then two quick soaks with just cold water. First bath/soak water was murky, the second less so, and the third not at all. It’s going to spend the night on a towel in my laundry room. Hopefully dry by Friday for conditioning?

Last edited:

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
So, I’ve given the jacket a good wipe down with pecards, let it sit for a few hours, and then turned inside out for a nice cold bath in the tub, with a tiny bit of dawn, then two quick soaks with just cold water. First bath/soak water was murky, the second less so, and the third not at all. It’s going to spend the night on a towel in my laundry room. Hopefully dry by Friday for conditioning?
you didn't need to give it pecards before the wash, but that's ok. Personally, I would put it on a hangar so air circulates better. But I think it'll be fine on the towel. Maybe rotate once or twice a day. If the jacket isn't too fragile, I'd put it on spin cycle to get out the extra water first or in the least, hang it up for a few hours to let some drip off.

Once it's completely dry, put on conditioner. you don't want to trap in water i.e. seal over it with a wax or oil. If the liner is fresh now, you can skip this step, but if you can hang in the shade inside out, maybe some filtered sun, that'll help too. But obviously jacket completely dry first so no shrinkage.

Schambach

Practically Family
you didn't need to give it pecards before the wash, but that's ok. Personally, I would put it on a hangar so air circulates better. But I think it'll be fine on the towel. Maybe rotate once or twice a day. If the jacket isn't too fragile, I'd put it on spin cycle to get out the extra water first or in the least, hang it up for a few hours to let some drip off.

Once it's completely dry, put on conditioner. you don't want to trap in water i.e. seal over it with a wax or oil. If the liner is fresh now, you can skip this step, but if you can hang in the shade inside out, maybe some filtered sun, that'll help too. But obviously jacket completely dry first so no shrinkage.

Sorry, meant lexol, not pecards. Also probably unnecessary, but definitely seemed to brighten it up a little.

Will hang up today, maybe put a fan on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner