Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hatter company

S. Beagles

Familiar Face
I have more Stetsons in my collection than any other brand, Dobbs and Knox equally second, but my favorite hat of all is an old Cavanagh. Just something about that hat I really like. Its the one I'm wearing on my avatar.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I really love the older Stetsons. Sadly, I don't have one from before the 40's. I have mostly Dobbs. Easier to find, I think.

flute

blixa00

One of the Regulars
I started out wearing Western style hats as a youngster (well I still wear 'em...) so I have always been partial to older Resistols...the vintage Disney hats have caught my eye as well!

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
I loved the old Herbert Johnson Grosvenors. I still own four, each lovely and all purchased prior to 1985, which is about when it seems that Herbert Johnson went down the loo.

Buzz

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Knox

Although to be fair I don't have a representative from Mallory, Cavanagh, Disney or Resistol...yet. But my Knox's (two Premiers and a Twenty) are easily nicer than the Stetson, Dobbs, Adam, or Champ hats that I own. I think the styling and workmanship are superior on the examples I have, but again to be fair they were in better shape than most of the other hats I have when I purchased them.

anon`

One Too Many
cooncatbob said:
I'd have to say Vintage Silhouettes.
The FL's own Art Fawcett makes as good a hot as can be found at any price.
I own 3.
Art ain't been up to this long enough for his stuff to be vintage, yet. (But I'd vote for them anyway!) ;)

If we limit this to stuff that was around seventy years or so ago, then I'd have to say Crofut & Knapp. Not that I've ever owned, or worn, or even handled one of these before, but with adverts like they had... man they must've been great hats! =P

(Of hats that I've had personal experience with, I think my favourite vintage piece is a Schoble, with a Mallory coming in second.)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
fluteplayer07 said:
I really love the older Stetsons. Sadly, I don't have one from before the 40's. I have mostly Dobbs. Easier to find, I think.

flute

I'm with you on that, but the ones from the '40s are equally awesome, just different.

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Hmmm. Tough one. I have several different makes. I think the best felt is to be found on a Resistol San Antonio I have. But, I don't yet have a Stetson 7x OR. I do have a 4x OR and the Resistol is nicer.

However, I don't have enough samples in enough brands to know for sure. I have one Cavanagh with Cav Edge that's also pretty nice, but I don't wear it because it's a stingy and I look silly in it. Same for my only Knox. The largest selection is from Stetson, but only the beat up old 4x OR comes close to that Resistol.

That one, BTW is very close to the two custom made hats I have for felt quality.

Later!

Stan

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Unlike a lot of you, I haven't been into the vintage stuff for very long. But of the ones I have, the two that seem to fit me best and/or have the nicest felt are the two Resistols. Neither one says "San Antonio" inside, so I'll just have to call them Open Road clones. The older (and somewhat battered) gray silverbelly one, now that I've stretched it a tad, fits my skull as if it were made for it. And the younger one, in tan, is soft and lightweight.

fmw

One Too Many
I only have two "vintage" hats - an Akubra and a Resistol. The Resistol is the better hat of the two. If you guys would stop driving up the prices of Stetson vintage hats maybe................;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner