Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your vermouth brand of choice?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
No, have you? It's not widely available outside of the Noilly Prat cellars in Marseillan, apparently.
Ethan Bentley said:
Has anyone tried this??

NOILLYAMBRE_1.jpg

BTW, the recent NP bottle redesign (around two inches taller) has forced a change of location in my fridge; from the favored easy to access door shelf to the less than convenient main shelf area. :rage:

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
No, have you? It's not widely available outside of the Noilly Prat cellars in Marseillan, apparently.

BTW, the recent NP bottle redesign (around two inches taller) has forced a change of location in my fridge; from the favored easy to access door shelf to the less than convenient main shelf area. :rage:

Ah that is a annoying. I have a bottle (got it in London) but I've not opened it, my one is in the old bottle though. I've also got a bottle of Amber Cinzano.

rumblefish

One Too Many
I've just discovered Carpano Punt E Mes vermouth last year. It's similar to Carpano Antico. The difference I find in taste is the Punt E Mes lacks the strong vanilla beginning and finishes much more bitter and orangey. I've been having it with one cube and sometimes a twist. It also makes a superb negroni.

docneg

One of the Regulars
Oops, sorry! I didn't realize this had been discussed on the first page of this thread.

This is the sort of thing that makes me drink...

jmrtnko

Familiar Face
Vermouth tastes like expired milk and has a low alcohol content.....why bother?

You need to try a fresh bottle of good stuff. Vermouth has too low of an alcohol content to be shelf stable. It goes bad and turns to vinegar within a month of being opened (even when refrigerated), giving you the soured milk flavor.

Carpano Antica or Perucchi sweets are great for sipping on their own and add a great, deep flavor to cocktails. I have less of a preference on drys, but usually reach for Dolin.

eveready

Banned
You need to try a fresh bottle of good stuff. Vermouth has too low of an alcohol content to be shelf stable. It goes bad and turns to vinegar within a month of being opened (even when refrigerated), giving you the soured milk flavor.

Carpano Antica or Perucchi sweets are great for sipping on their own and add a great, deep flavor to cocktails. I have less of a preference on drys, but usually reach for Dolin.
I'm not much of a martini drinker (gin is the only spirit that can make me vomit).... but I like vodka. When I make the occasional vodka martini, I'll pour a little dry vermouth in the glass, but promptly spill it out before I stir the drink. I don't drink Manhattans. I would never spoil good whiskey with sweet vermouth.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Vermouth can be wonderful, when one has the palate to appreciate it, it can also enhance many types of cocktails, I use it regularly and love it.
As has been pointed out, one has to keep a fresh bottle on hand to get the most out of it, and that goes for other spirits that can go bad after time.

A Vodka-tini with a trace amount of Vermouth is like riding a tricycle, it's safe and will get you along the sidewalk with the pedestrians.

eveready

Banned
Ah....no. There is nothing wonderful about vermouth. I'd rather drink good straight vodka or whiskey. Why pour some swill into it? Cheap sour wine is not worth my time........I guess one can develop a palate for Night Train too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland