Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks man. I intend to wear this one down to the ground.

The JL remake arrived too but my time with it was interrupted. Version 2.0 fits a zillion times better, I got a few shots in but only just now had time to go through them.

View attachment 348386 View attachment 348387 View attachment 348388

Yes i do feel very lucky with the fit.

My only other CXL piece is my JL Ryder vest so the full jacket is a very different experience. I quite like the feel and look in my brief time with it.

I only zipped it once, and was very careful! Here’s to many more successful zippings!

Congratualations! The jacket looks fantastic, it is very elegant a the fit is just perfect!

Berto

One of the Regulars
B1F0F2A6-830F-4F6C-8A95-D29B001DF67C.jpeg

DA03AA39-1F31-42AE-9CEA-5F64A8B7ABBB.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I'd love to hear if anyone has any idea who the maker may have been, or any other info / thoughts on it. Thanks so much!!

I can't tell you who made it, but I can tell you my thoughts.

I want it!

Yes, probably Horsehide, very nice horsehide. The most unusual construction will give the best indication of the maker. It is American made with the Talon zipper on the right. I am not familiar with the design and have not seen it on any catalog jacket from this era, 1930s. It does typify the creativeness and competition of makers in the "Golden Years" of the 30s. WWII ended much of the creativity in the trade. You don't see jackets styled like this after the War.

I see California made, but I can't prove it. I could post pictures of similar jackets from Companies like, Ralphs-Pugh, Block, Simmons, Levi, California Sportswear. All are documented making similarly interesting jackets. I turn my head to the West when I see a jacket with this level of Style.

Lack of a label or known maker does not diminish the interest in this jacket. It stands on it's own.

If you wanted to start a jacket collection you have a good start.

Thanks for sharing!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Did we ever resolve if BK actually has the jackets on-hand? At one point someone thought he just scanned the photos from The book. Would love to know if the archives are from real jackets or not.

BK contacted me when they were starting this project. They borrowed jackets, patterned them, took pictures and sent you back a prototype. At least, that is what they told me. I did not follow through.

They may have purchased some of the jackets, but there was no offer to buy mine. They just wanted the pattern.

BK contacted me when they were starting this project. They borrowed jackets, patterned them, took pictures and sent you back a prototype. At least, that is what they told me. I did not follow through.

They may have purchased some of the jackets, but there was no offer to buy mine. They just wanted the pattern.
It does seem that, in this jacket’s case, the photo from the book and the photo on the BK site are identical:
BK site:
97B5164F-DB29-4701-B58B-1B70E70890C0.jpeg
book:
E71A1F34-336E-4565-9E6B-F2BEB0A44BD6.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
It does seem that, in this jacket’s case, the photo from the book and the photo on the BK site are identical:
BK site:
View attachment 348497
book:
View attachment 348498

I just looked at the BK achieves. I recognize many of those pictures as not being taken by Bill Kelso. A member here said he loaned them an original for reproduction. I do not know how they can make those complicated jackets from pictures, but I guess they do?

I give them credit for the great Archive! Shows how many great jackets have been produced through the years.

This is the jacket they ask about. Didn't look to see if they found one.

Their request just came at a bad time for me, that is way I did not follow through.

DSC02201.jpg
DSC02209.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Just wanted to post an update of my new LW Appalachian, been wearing it for a week and am a big fan of it.

Congratulations to you and Lost Worlds for brining the Vertical Zip back! Mine is horsehide, but more like 4 pounds! I like mine very much and look forward to continued wear.

Here is mine in comparison. (the Belt is off)

MAH03916.MP4_20210720_183126.366.jpg

Z7n4DSo.jpg

MAH03916.MP4_20210720_183054.773.jpg

5741Si7.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations to you and Lost Worlds for brining the Vertical Zip back! Mine is horsehide, but more like 4 pounds! I like mine very much and look forward to continued wear.

Here is mine in comparison. (the Belt is off)

View attachment 348503

Z7n4DSo.jpg

View attachment 348504

5741Si7.jpg

Thanks.
I'm really glad Stuart accepted to take on the challenge, i think they really nailed it.
You where wondering how BK could do jackets from pictures only, LW did it for this one.
I sent them ebay pics of three different jackets and that's all they had to go by.
Your looks great!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks man. I intend to wear this one down to the ground.

The JL remake arrived too but my time with it was interrupted. Version 2.0 fits a zillion times better, I got a few shots in but only just now had time to go through them.

View attachment 348386 View attachment 348387 View attachment 348388

Yes i do feel very lucky with the fit.

My only other CXL piece is my JL Ryder vest so the full jacket is a very different experience. I quite like the feel and look in my brief time with it.

I only zipped it once, and was very careful! Here’s to many more successful zippings!
Christmas in July! Two for two. The remake definitely was worth the wait.

alish

One of the Regulars

I want it!

Yes, probably Horsehide, very nice horsehide. The most unusual construction will give the best indication of the maker. It is American made with the Talon zipper on the right. I am not familiar with the design and have not seen it on any catalog jacket from this era, 1930s. It does typify the creativeness and competition of makers in the "Golden Years" of the 30s. WWII ended much of the creativity in the trade. You don't see jackets styled like this after the War.

I see California made, but I can't prove it. I could post pictures of similar jackets from Companies like, Ralphs-Pugh, Block, Simmons, Levi, California Sportswear. All are documented making similarly interesting jackets. I turn my head to the West when I see a jacket with this level of Style.

Lack of a label or known maker does not diminish the interest in this jacket. It stands on it's own.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on my jacket! By any chance does Tanaka give any info about the jacket that BK is doing a repro of with the raglan sleeves (maker or other info beyond the decade 1930s)? It and mine are so similar that it seems possible they were either different iterations from the same maker, or more likely that they were made by competitors working in a similar locale (e.g. California) where the first version was then "improved" on by the other. I'm guessing mine would have been the first version as the BK one has a more complicated back and arms (more pieces); but I guess it easily could have gone the other way (in a quest for simplification...).

Thanks again!!

alish

One of the Regulars
I just looked at the BK achieves. I recognize many of those pictures as not being taken by Bill Kelso. A member here said he loaned them an original for reproduction. I do not know how they can make those complicated jackets from pictures, but I guess they do?

I give them credit for the great Archive! Shows how many great jackets have been produced through the years.

This is the jacket they ask about. Didn't look to see if they found one.

Their request just came at a bad time for me, that is way I did not follow through.

View attachment 348501 View attachment 348502

Wow!! What a spectacular jacket!! Thanks for sharing!!!

alish

One of the Regulars

I want it!

Thanks for sharing!

I know you've got quite the jacket collection so that means A LOT coming from you!! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ