Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Kind of Jacket--Not the N-1

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Okay, I thought I'd seen it all but in the movie 'Dive Bomber", the opening scenes especially, and then throughout the movie, the pilots are wearing a jacket with USN stenciled on the back.

It is similar to the N-1 but doesn't appear to have the lining nor the wooly collar which would make this one in the movie a more "cool" weather jacket versus the N-1 being more for cold weather deck work. It looks very much like the Army's "tanker jacket"

Does anybody have any idea what jacket this is? It is the khaki green color with the knit cuffs, collar and waistband. It has USN stenciled on the back and not on the breast like the N-1. It has the button and loop collar enclosure.

It will be a pre-war design as "Dive Bomber" was made in 1941. I've looked at the Buzz Rickson page and even they don't have it.

I'm just as curious as a cat on this one. It looks like a great jacket to have but one I just can't seem to identify...and I'm pretty spun up on WWII USN apparel.

If I'm missing something let me know and any help is greatly appreciated.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Khaki Green not N-1 jacket in "Dive Bombers"

I stumbled upon your old question and wonder if you ever got to the roots of it.

Anyways, I *thought* you meant the navy deck jacket that is almost like a tanker.
Well, curiosity got me to download it and I went and had a little look and heres some screenshots,
cap3.jpg

cap4.jpg

cap5.jpg

cap6.jpg

*BINGO* found it! 37-J1 flight jacket.

cap8.jpg

Also you see a couple of the early G-1 type

cap1.jpg

cap9.jpg

But more of sheepskin flightsuits with big collars... I'm not versed in what the models are...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn