Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What leather conditioner do you use?

Mike K.

One Too Many
SnoSeal is another commonly used waterproofing for leather, and it is also a beeswax formulation. They too claim that it will not clog the pores of leather.

My thought is that any material (goretex, leather, canvas, etc.) strikes a balance been breathable/porosity and waterproof. The more waterproofing you add, the more you clog the pores (or fabric weave), and the less breathable it becomes. Conversely, the more porous the material, the less waterproof.

As long as you follow the manufacturer's instructions, you should be okay with just about any leather conditioner out there (they are all lipids). The mistake people make is overdoing it. A little periodic conditioning is good. A very heavy application of anything will adversely affect the leather.

Peacoat

Bartender
1gnition said:
Is it true that it is not recommended using them on leather because they clog pores?
I have a Skidmore's Leather Cream which is based on beeswax which I want to apply on my Schott Perfecto 118.

Sometimes it is better to apply nothing than to apply conditioner when the jacket doesn't need it. If your Schott is old and beginning to dry out, you might want to give it a dose of a good conditioner, such as Pecard. Otherwise, probably best to apply nothing.

These leather jackets can go years and years with no conditioner, unless they are in the weather and frequently get rained on. Then a quality conditioner would be the right thing to do.

There are several lengthy threads in the past discussing the various conditioners. Everyone has a favorite, and they all probably do a good job. Beeswax is a common ingredient for leather conditioners.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Snoseal's fantastic for boots, use a hairdryer to apply. If it's painted leather, and the surface is cracked etc remove it first with a solution you can purchase from a shoe store, after that use can use straight Vaseline to condition the leather. anything thats good for the skin is good for leather. Linseed oil for tool belt, sun tan lotion, Hawaiian tropics nice for fine leather. Even vegetable oil can be used. Don't spend a fortune on gimmicks that will just dry out your leather, and cost you too much money.

Remember, if it's not dyed leather, you have to condition the paint as well. A petroleum product is best.

1gnition

New in Town
The manufacturer doesn't recommend to use anything on this leather. This is the problem. They say that because the leather is naked, the oils in it can surface and keep it conditioned. But if you look at 10 years old Schotts you can see that some of them are dry and crack. So the common sense is to use a conditioner once in a while. They say that if you insist you can use saddle soap and mink oil sparingly. But I've read recently that saddle soap is not good for leathers, so I won't use it.

I already have the Skidmore's at home and I read very good experiences with it, but none of them with a Schott jacket, so I wonder of someone tried it on a Schott.

HAMMER

New in Town
Red Wing All Natural Leather Dressing

This is the best one I've used, beeswax based with pine tar, absolutely no petroleum in it. Also cures eczema, added bonus. More pure than most skin creams.

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Eastman's Liquid Leather Advice

Has anyone used Eastman's Liquid Leather on their jacket? Would this product leave a matt finish or encourage a "shine"?

I have read that Pecards is excellent, but it seems to add a "shine" to the hide afterwards, which I am seeking to avoid.

Thanks.

Last edited:

fenaxton44

New in Town
Hi nowornever, i have used Eastman's Liquid Leather on my A2 and ANJ4 jackets with out any problems can't seem to remember it being shiney after application, give Eastmans a ring see what they say. good luck.
Dave

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Thanks to those who replied with information.

It is very good to know that the Eastman's product is unlikely to alter the surface apperance of my jacket.
I will have to follow up with Eastman's & obtain some Liquid Leather... Thanks again.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Hi NowOrNever

I have used the Liquid Leather cleaner and conditioner to restore a rather sad Type C flying helmet and a pair of new gloves which were a little dry.

Both cleaner and conditioner are produced by Gliptone Leathercare.

The helmet color had turned to a distressed sort of milk chocolate color.

I first applied the pump spray cleaner, which is ph neutral, using cheese cloth to avoid any lint residue. I used a cotton swab around areas where I did not want the cleaner to touch. Much soiling came off onto the cheese cloth as I lightly dabbed. The faded leather darkened closer to the original dark chocolate color. I changed my cheese cloth very frequently.

I allowed the cleaner to dry for two days.

I then used cheese cloth, cotton swabs, and a number 4 broad bristle brush (To gently get into the seam stitching) to apply the Liquid Leather conditioner. Again, I did this very gently, rubbing in a circular motion changing the cheese cloth often. I applied 3 total coats waiting at least 24 hours in between. By the third application the color had darkened to the original color.

Liquid leather is not glossy after drying. I used an old white tee shirt to lightly buff the leather to a light shine as seen on mint condition helmets. I was very gratified with the results.

Always test any applicator like a cloth or brush to be sure the material does not deteriorate. Yes, very unlikely - but you never know!

The new gloves did not require cleaning, however they had been stored and shipped in a plastic zip bag. The plastic of course does not allow the leather to "breath". I gently applied the Liquid Leather conditioner using cheese cloth. The color of the leather did not change and it was more supple to the touch. There was a very small amount of color on the cheese cloth.

Remember to test anything on a small area out of sight first.

I have used Pecards Antique on shoes.

John

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
John thanks, for taking the time to provide such a detailed breakdown of the cleaning process you used. It sounds as though you were very careful in your methods. It is reassuring to have further confirmation that Liquid Leather is a good product to use. Especially when the many complexities of leather care have to be considered. The advice on testing a small area first, and any applictor is very sound.

I was unaware that Gliptone Leathercare, are the suppliers of the Liquid Leather products, so that is going to be well worth knowing... I will have to read up further.

Before I started reading the Fedora Lounge posts, I had no knowledge concerning leather.
It seems there is always something new to learn or consider! I have hopefully learnt enough not to inadvertently do any harm to my A-2 jacket now.

I am glad to read that you are pleased with the restoration of the helemt.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Domani

New in Town
Armor-all for leather?

I ran into a college buddy recently and I recalled how we both had Navy issue G-1's back then, some thirty years ago. He remarked that his was still in great shape, and his leather conditioner of choice was...Armor-All. Not the leather gel for car seats, but the car detailing spray.

What say all of you goatskin wearers regarding this? (!)

MissMittens

One Too Many
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It might make it shine for a couple of years, but it causes cracks in leather long-term and is a big "no-no". I wouldn't use anything on a leather that didn't have natural leather oils in, or oils naturally found in animal skin, like mink oil

Philalethes

A-List Customer
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It might make it shine for a couple of years, but it causes cracks in leather long-term and is a big "no-no". I wouldn't use anything on a leather that didn't have natural leather oils in, or oils naturally found in animal skin, like mink oil

May I take it that Armor All isn't even suitable for car seats?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Armor all is terrible for leather. It is designed to replenish the plasticiser in vinyl and some plastic products - the stuff that gradually 'evaporates' from plastics through time and UV light. When plasticiser goes it make plastics crack and fade. Armor all destroyes leather but some cheap jackets with a plastic dye type coating on top of the leather may appear better looking with Armor all because it will make it shine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn