Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What on Earth could've caused this brace problem?

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
This was really, truly bizarre. Perhaps you can help?

The other night, I put on a pair of trousers I've worn many times before but almost always with a belt. Never had any length issues. This time I attached braces.

One leg was noticeably longer than the other by maybe 1.5". So I thought perhaps the length wasn't as precise between the legs as I'd thought and I proceeded to adjust the clasp on the longer side to even it out.

Fast forward fifteen minutes. I'm tearing my hair out. I now have the long leg-side clasp almost up to my shoulder, and the short leg-side clasp almost down to the waistband. The legs are still uneven (in the same way). When I lift up my waistcoat, the waistband is now slouching at maybe a 30 deg. angle toward the shorter side, that's how severely I'd tweaked the braces to compensate. "These pant legs must be way off," I thought to myself. The brace buckles were almost a foot and a half off from each other!

After I took off the trousers I measured the inseams- nearly identical. I visually inspected the legs- nearly identical (maybe 0.25" off?) I inspected the brace buttons- all level, all symmetrically distanced around my center line. I inspected the pants themselves- appeared level. I inspected the braces- seemed fine. The rear hooks were a bit off vertically from one another, but I don't even know if they were like that when I attached them and in any case it wasn't much.

So on the one hand I have tolerances of maybe 0.25" in the "system", on the other, I had pant legs that could not be made level despite a ~30 deg. correcting slope and something like 18" of vertical distance between one clasp and the other.

What??!?!?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk