Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Pipe Tobacco Are You Smoking Today ?

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
East India Trading Co. Officers Club
20220628_122352.jpg

earl

A-List Customer
Never smoke only 1 blend throughout the course of a day. Usually it's 2. Today it's 3: C&D's Bayou Morning and Oriental Silk and Sutliff Balkan Sobranie 759 match blend

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
Diagnosed with heart failure from cardio myopathy.
Smoking my last couple random tins and last couple dozen cigars and then calling it quits.
Peterson Connoisseurs Choice today in a Peterson Church Warden I picked up in Kinsale IE twenty odd years ago

20230409_131433.jpg

Last edited:
Tried the Vauen Lounge Blend No.1, today. Nothing special, I would say. The plum comes a little through, but altogether a kind of "dry" taste.

BUT it burned not very well, although I let it dry extensively, after I bought it, because it was very moist! Didn't help, the pipe burned out, permanently.

Finally got the popular MacBaren Mixture Scotish Blend and already did a smaller test! This taste is really good!, in my opinion.

And it's dry enough out of the pouch, wow!! :)

Finally got the popular MacBaren Mixture Scotish Blend and already did a smaller test! This taste is really good!, in my opinion.

And it's dry enough out of the pouch, wow!! :)

Some of the burn problems you are having most likely comes from the pipe tobacco cut you are getting. A lot of ribbon cut tobacco (ribbon is the most common cut) has a glycerine preservative to keep the tobacco fresh & from drying out after its cut. Nothing wrong with that but it needs to be “rubbed out” (between your thumb & index finger tips) by the pinch, to remove the glycerine (the glycerine is paraffin like). Don’t do any more than a pipe bowl full & it’s ok to let it dry further for a few minutes before loading the pipe. As you get more experienced & learn what types of pipe tobacco you like, you will find cuts like Ready Rub, Crumble Cake (a brownie you crumble off of), rope, & flake among others available in better tobacco’s. These cuts don’t have the glycerine preservative on the tobacco. Crumble Cake & flake are among my favorite cuts.

MacBaren is a good brand of tobacco & a lot of their tobacco is offered in flake. But when you try flake for the first few times you will have to learn how to load the pipe bowl all over again for efficient burn. Not as much of a new learning curve with Crumble Cake. Just take one step at a time; practice makes perfect.

Had again a nice 45 minutes-smoke with my favorite pipe. But the MacBaren didn't burn well, although dry enough. And the taste is okay to me, but won't become one of my favorites.

Nope! I just can't recommend the Vauen Lounge Blend No.1.

Burns really crappy and the taste is "dark", dry and far from jummy, for my taste. No idea, what this tobacco wants to tell me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk