Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Pipe Tobacco Are You Smoking Today ?

Mac Barens HH ODF & a double shot of Rebel Yell.

IMG_1495.jpg

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
so many options and so many listed here. As for your personal preferences; what personally do you look for in a tobacco? why do particular blends appeal to you? How do you choose your Tobacco and what makes it good?

so many options and so many listed here. As for your personal preferences; what personally do you look for in a tobacco? why do particular blends appeal to you? How do you choose your Tobacco and what makes it good?
Hard to reply in just a few words. Maybe others can. I'll try & organize some of my thoughts.

WonkyBloke

One of the Regulars

For the most part, I steer clear of Latakia and Cavendish. I don't mind a little bit of them in a blend occasionally, but too much can very easily spoil a blend for me. Give me a "middle of the road" tobacco any day.

I quite like toppings if they're topped Virginia, or Virginia/Burley. Again, Cavendish aromatics are a very occasional smoke for me. If untopped, a good Virginia, Virginia Burley, or Virginia Perique will do me just fine.

As to form, I probably smoke an equal mix of flake and ready rubbed. After smoking either for any length of time, I tend to get yearnings to smoke the other for a while. Plugs and twists don't interest me.

Assuming you are an infrequent or new pipesmoker. So many blenders now days you will want to stay with a quality product. Stay with tins & away from bulk blends from a local tobacconist. Most of the time a cigar store that sells bulk blends has no idea what's in the blend. And it can be dried out. As you sample & find something you like learn what is in the blend & look for similar blends but always looking to improve on what you like. And once you learn what you like you will learn that different pipes will smoke it differently, not based on pipe shape but based on bore & depth of the bowl, mostly.

My favorites are English blends with Syrian Latakia (think campfires, woodsmoke), orientals with perique (spices & peppery) & some crossover blends but I'm not big on aeromatics. They rarely taste like they smell & tend to be artificial & sweet. They also tend to get their flavorings from toppings sprayed on at the time the tobacco is cut & not cased in the press. And I usually stay away from Red Virginias, too much like cigarettes.

If you're just starting out you will likely be smoking ribbon cut & wont have to deal with flakes, brownies, rope or coins. That will be easier to learn how to load your pipe for a proper draw, & store your tobacco after you open a tin.

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
For the most part, I steer clear of Latakia and Cavendish. I don't mind a little bit of them in a blend occasionally, but too much can very easily spoil a blend for me. Give me a "middle of the road" tobacco any day.

I quite like toppings if they're topped Virginia, or Virginia/Burley. Again, Cavendish aromatics are a very occasional smoke for me. If untopped, a good Virginia, Virginia Burley, or Virginia Perique will do me just fine.

As to form, I probably smoke an equal mix of flake and ready rubbed. After smoking either for any length of time, I tend to get yearnings to smoke the other for a while. Plugs and twists don't interest me.
thanks for your input here. I appreciate it! I rarely puff on my pipe but when I do its always go with the same as usual. I tend to not have much range so I want to broaden my spectrum a bit.

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
Assuming you are an infrequent or new pipesmoker. So many blenders now days you will want to stay with a quality product. Stay with tins & away from bulk blends from a local tobacconist. Most of the time a cigar store that sells bulk blends has no idea what's in the blend. And it can be dried out. As you sample & find something you like learn what is in the blend & look for similar blends but always looking to improve on what you like. And once you learn what you like you will learn that different pipes will smoke it differently, not based on pipe shape but based on bore & depth of the bowl, mostly.

My favorites are English blends with Syrian Latakia (think campfires, woodsmoke), orientals with perique (spices & peppery) & some crossover blends but I'm not big on aeromatics. They rarely taste like they smell & tend to be artificial & sweet. They also tend to get their flavorings from toppings sprayed on at the time the tobacco is cut & not cased in the press. And I usually stay away from Red Virginias, too much like cigarettes.

If you're just starting out you will likely be smoking ribbon cut & wont have to deal with flakes, brownies, rope or coins. That will be easier to learn how to load your pipe for a proper draw, & store your tobacco after you open a tin.

awesome! that is a BIG help right there! all great tips and guidance! yes, I'm a very infrequent pipe smoker and sometimes I'm just in the the mood but never really got around to digging deeper into the blends and figuring out what it is I really want to enjoy.
I certainly don't want anything thats too much like cigarettes. I'll start looking into your recommendation on the English blends with Syrian Latakia. I usually am in the mood in the cold winter months and this sounds nice and therapeutic to me! :D Thanks for the help!

awesome! that is a BIG help right there! all great tips and guidance! yes, I'm a very infrequent pipe smoker and sometimes I'm just in the the mood but never really got around to digging deeper into the blends and figuring out what it is I really want to enjoy.
I certainly don't want anything thats too much like cigarettes. I'll start looking into your recommendation on the English blends with Syrian Latakia. I usually am in the mood in the cold winter months and this sounds nice and therapeutic to me! :D Thanks for the help!
Anyone who started out as a kid smoking grapevines in the woods likes the taste of Latakia & woodsmoke.

We need @bowlerman @DaveProc @Mm25 @hatsRme & @Scooterz from the Hats section to weigh in. And I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko