Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Size are You Poll

What hat size are you?

• Total voters

duggap

Banned
Sizes back then

That was interesting what Canadave posted. Apparantly people have gotten biggen in general but the heads have not. The average soldier in the Civil War was around 5' 4"s tall. Robert E. Lee wore a size four shoe. A man six foot was called a giant back then.

Duggap

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I suppose it makes sense that the population would get taller over time, if you think about it. Tall people seem to self-select towards each other for marriage and procreation. That is, women generally seem to prefer that the men they marry not be shorter than themselves. I'm a case in point--my fiancee is 5'10", and I'm 6'0". Her sister and brother in law are 6'1" and 6'4", respectively. The odds of our having children who are shorter than average are pretty slim, I'd say. Any daughters we may have will in turn probably choose to marry taller men, continuing the trend and gradually increasing the proportion of tall people in the population.

I'm not sure if this phenomenon (if it does in fact exist) would have any bearing on head size or not.

Orgetorix said:
I suppose it makes sense that the population would get taller over time, if you think about it. Tall people seem to self-select towards each other for marriage and procreation. That is, women generally seem to prefer that the men they marry not be shorter than themselves. I'm a case in point--my fiancee is 5'10", and I'm 6'0". Her sister and brother in law are 6'1" and 6'4", respectively. The odds of our having children who are shorter than average are pretty slim, I'd say. Any daughters we may have will in turn probably choose to marry taller men, continuing the trend and gradually increasing the proportion of tall people in the population.

I'm not sure if this phenomenon (if it does in fact exist) would have any bearing on head size or not.

I doubt it has anything to do with head size because head size versus height may not be so easy to correlate. Height is much easier to measure at a glance as well.
My wife is a 7 1/4 while I am a 7 5/8. I doubt I selected her for her head size. :p It will be interesting to see what my son's head size ends up being---considering that he is already at the 97% in head size already. :D

Regards,

J

big kahuna

Familiar Face
:eek: 8 1/8.......

When looking over all of the party-favor sized hats (i.e. regular sized hats) at shops, I usually ask if they have any "mens hats" for men....:D

canucklehead

New in Town
7 1/8 here, bordering on a 7 1/4, depending on whether or not I've gotten my ears lowered recently. For some reason, it says I can't vote in the poll. Probably need more posts.

-Mike

44forrest

New in Town
A mans height palys a role in his being selected by women for marraige? Right............, you keep on thinking this way. As Randy Newman reveals in the song "The World Isn't Fair" The best lookers go for Lexus driving frogy little men. It's the thickness of the wallet not the stature of the man that selects a woman's breeding stock. They go for physical statue after they get married and behind frogy's back.

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
Just thought I'd say that I greatly enjoy that I am at work right now, opened up this thread that said "what size are you" and felt like I wasnt about to look at something awful at work--Only place around that I can say that about...I love this place.

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
hmmm...i like being in the minority as far as the head size goes. less of a fight for it on ebay....but now that i think about....less of a selection...:eusa_doh: ....oh bother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot