Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What some think is a "Proper" 40s look...

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
Wowza!

:eek:fftopic: We live just up the Coast from you near Pismo - you'll have to tell me what's fun to do around these parts dressed like that -

Honestly, there's not much to do around these parts, kind of a no-man's land between LA and San Francisco as far as vintage friendly things to do. I like dancing at the Madonna Inn on Mondays, but nobody dresses vintage there. Whenever the Campus five or Stompy Jones play at the Carrillo Ballroom in Santa Barbara there is always an OK crowd of vintage attired folks.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
resortes805, great drapes pal, love the photos of the authentic Californian Zoot!

Also, the '43 Catalog page was really cool, it was interesting to see Zoot styled pants on models on one side of the page and the other side of the page had the 22+ inch cuffed bottoms. I love the shirt and tie combos too!

Your right about the Zoot Suit being vilified... as you know, in LA they outlawed the wearing of such "drapes" after the '42 riots. And I think that is still in effect today... wasn't repealed because the fashions changed. lol Would be funny to call the cops on a mug who's wearing one of those cheep costume models on a 60+ year old law... justice will prevail! lol

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
resortes805 said:
Yeah man! Here's basically a "real" version of the costume suit that started this thread.
fullcrop-2.jpg
slackscrop-1.jpg

fullcrop2.jpg

Oh yeah, that's THE look man! Killer diller to the max!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
This is a great thread. Very informative.

resortes805 said:
Some context for this image:
descriptions.jpg

So, let's see what we have here.
L is zoot suit style trousers while N is of a similar style though not so extreme (no cuffs, not as high-waisted). Interesting that N is less expensive than L even though, it would seem, L uses more material and perhaps takes more time to manufacture (perhaps the reason is that N is a wool/cotton/rayon mix while L is just cotton/rayon mix).

F is collegiate style trousers (not Oxford bags, correct?) while H is regular full-cut straight-legged trousers.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
Would be funny to call the cops on a mug who's wearing one of those cheep costume models on a 60+ year old law... justice will prevail! lol

Yeah man, what some people try to pass off as a zoot suit is atrocious!

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
thunderw21 said:
This is a great thread. Very informative.

F is collegiate style trousers (not Oxford bags, correct?) while H is regular full-cut straight-legged trousers.

You got it man. Thanks for posting the scans from this catalog awhile back, it's awesome!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
resortes805 said:
You got it man. Thanks for posting the scans from this catalog awhile back, it's awesome!

No problem, I'm glad you pulled it up. It along with you and the Baron have helped me understand the minute differences between trouser styles.

Edward

Bartender
Great looking zoot.... I do like the look and I've been tempted to have one made for me, but alas I think it would be a poor investment as I don't imagine it's something I would actually wear with any regularity. My Joker costume trousers were run up from a zoot pattern, and they're incredibly comfy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany