Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to Wear with a Deerstalker

Chowderhouse

One of the Regulars
What to wear with a deerstalker? Why, an ulster coat with a cape. You wouldn't even need to wear a jacket underneath.

p-HG-InverCape4-600.jpg

Last edited:
In an ulster and cape you could be accused of "over egging the custard".... How about a Filson Mackinaw cruiser in forest green??
Richie

As a lifelong colonial residing in the veritable wilderness of the western shores of the American Continent, I can't say I've heard that expression before. But it pretty well sums it up.

Some people might, just maybe, be able to pull off the full-Sherlockian look, just as some people could get away with wearing a kilt, but I ain't one of those people. More power to those who can, I suppose.

I could actually see myself wearing a deerstalker cap, by the way, under certain limited circumstances. Could be just the thing for walking the mutts on a drizzly evening.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I can't really think of a time I wouldn't rather have a brimmed hat. However, to each his own.

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
Actually, I'm finding I'm really more of a cap person for practical reasons. I'd like a nice homburg for the winter, but barring that, I find myself wearing caps more than my fedora.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Actually, I'm finding I'm really more of a cap person for practical reasons. I'd like a nice homburg for the winter, but barring that, I find myself wearing caps more than my fedora.

For some reason, caps escaped me there. I wear my 8 panel caps often, and they are convenient. Still not sure when I would wear a deerstalker. Maybe when I was stalking deer?

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
OVOIal.jpg

So I got this deerstalker from the J Peterman on clearance a while back and now the season's finally around to wear it! Unfortunately my suits are decidedly snappier in their sensibilities than can reasonably support this hat.

So I was wondering - where should I look for a jacket to wear this with? I've got plenty of sweater vests and conservative shirts that will match, but none of the suits or odd jackets I own really make any sense. I was hoping you guys might be able to point me in the right direction - but I warn you, I'm not always familiar with the names of cuts and patterns, so pictures, references, and descriptions are greatly appreciated.

An Inverness Coat (Of which I have two, a very dark brown, and a grey herringbone.) is a very good option with the deerstalker. Whilst one can wear the Inverness with other formal more items, like a Bowler hat. The deerstalker might be best reserved for none white or black tie events. And yes, I do own a deerstalker and wear it unashamedly from time to time.

Invernesscoat_1901.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
Some thing heavy and in a large-grain herringbone is what I've been looking for, myself, so that inverness coat sounds the ticket...but of course, probably out of a budget at the moment.

Thanks all, for your suggestions! I'll have another trial outfit ready soon; I just need to wait for the components to return from the cleaner's.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Some thing heavy and in a large-grain herringbone is what I've been looking for, myself, so that inverness coat sounds the ticket...but of course, probably out of a budget at the moment.

Thanks all, for your suggestions! I'll have another trial outfit ready soon; I just need to wait for the components to return from the cleaner's.

I would offer one correction to my above statement one could wear an Inverness Coat with formal wear, providing of course one is wearing Scottish formal kit with it, which I also own. I thought I would clear that up so as not to cause unnecessary offense to our Scots gentlemen among us.

Invernesscoat_1901.jpg

richie1958

New in Town
The full hit ulster and cape look or similar, is always going to work with a deer stalker as well as fish with chips.... But unlike that English national dish, the look hasn't slipped seamlessly into the twenty first century. However, I don't believe that deer stalkers are sartorial dinosaurs... It's just a case of improvising and adapting. Stick with it Captain Lex! You've got more front than Selfridges! Which is a back handed English way of saying I admire your courageous sense of theatre
Richie

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
The full hit ulster and cape look or similar, is always going to work with a deer stalker as well as fish with chips.... But unlike that English national dish, the look hasn't slipped seamlessly into the twenty first century. However, I don't believe that deer stalkers are sartorial dinosaurs... It's just a case of improvising and adapting. Stick with it Captain Lex! You've got more front than Selfridges! Which is a back handed English way of saying I admire your courageous sense of theatre
Richie

Here Here Richie!

And if you were near at hand I would buy you a pint or a dram of the single malt Scotch of your choice, and welcome aboard also. Just wear what you like, with style, and with class. As Mr. Punch would say, "Thats the way to do it!"

[video=youtube;K6LmZ0A1s9U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6LmZ0A1s9U[/video]

Walt

One of the Regulars
There's a little bit about the deerstalker at http://www.fashionencyclopedia.com/fashion_costume_culture/European-Culture-19th-Century/Deerstalker-Cap.html that is interesting. Includes some info about what to wear with it.

You might also watch http://www.sierratradingpost.com for coats and jackets that are appropriate. Sometimes they have stuff from the UK that is reasonably priced.

I suppose the hip-hop types would have to wear the deerstalker rotated 90 degrees to approximate what they do with backwards ballcaps. That would be an amusing site!

Looks like those deerstalkers were clearanced out of stock. What did they go for?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Hal

Practically Family
Yes, none of these guys are wearing deerstalkers..
a9c21d92_Eskyr1_zps3f7d65a5.jpg
This type of hat is often called a deerstalker (at any rate on this side of the Atlantic), also a "fore-and-aft"; the one with ear-flaps is often called a Sherlock Holmes.

richie1958

New in Town
Where else but in dear old Blighty would a puppet show about a wife beater continue to captivate little children for three hundred and fifty years!! And he's not even English! He's Italian and was originally called Pulcinella! You can hear the little kids in the audience were loving the show! Strangely wonderful!
Richie

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Where else but in dear old Blighty would a puppet show about a wife beater continue to captivate little children for three hundred and fifty years!! And he's not even English! He's Italian and was originally called Pulcinella! You can hear the little kids in the audience were loving the show! Strangely wonderful!
Richie

Welcome Aboard richie1958,

And a doff of the hat to you, even if it happened to be a deerstalker at the time. You are quiet right about about Mr. Punch's lineage. However I think that he long ago, like Handel, has become a naturalized citizen. And he has become as British as the "The Teddy Bears Picnic." One wonders if they wore their deerstalkers on there pleasant outing?

[video=youtube;dZANKFxrcKU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZANKFxrcKU[/video]

Last edited:

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
Zxdyrl.jpg

I found an excellent sport jacket for this hat on a recent trip to Mt Vernon, IA. The houndstooth is in two scales - one that mixes readily with the headgear, and a finer grain that mixes better with patterns that exist on real clothing: viz, the herringbone sweatervest and windowpane button-down. The tie is a compromise between the two scales, but I cannot really take credit for that. I rate this 8.5/10

Out-of-doors, I've been wearing it with the classic trench, for lack of such a coat as the magnificent Herringone Tweed worn by Hastings in the BBC Poirot series:
the-tweed-overcoat.png

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
What a splendid glencheck tweed! Well done, that Captain, I'd rate it 9.5.

You are too kind, sir! And I'll make a note of the pattern, as well!

Thank you to everyone's input! I hope someday to expand my wardrobe to include just such items as you all have recommended, but I hope for now our collaborative efforts have produced a useful resource for anyone else mad enough to wear a deerstalker in urban America!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou