Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of fedora would this be called.

Wayfarer

New in Town
I am a newbie and trying to learn.

It is black but I lightened the contrast to see the detail.

Could it be bashed into a pinched front with either a diamond or teardrop crease?

hat.jpg

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Welcome to the Fedora Lounge, Wayfarer

When people refer to a hat as a "fedora" this is usually what they have it mind. Many other hats are mistakenly referred to as fedoras, but this picture is of a true fedora. Judging by the size of the brim, it looks like a "stingy" brim; a hat with a brim of two inches or less.

Fedoras are also sometimes described by the type of bash-how the top of the hat is shaped. This example would be referred to as a center dent, or center dent with a pinch (it's hard to tell on my computer if the hat is pinched on the front). A good source of hat creases can be found here.

Welcome to the Lounge!

Dinerman said:
It also seems to have a braided band?

Looks like it to me. That makes it what we call a Tyrolean. These are associated with the German beermeisters but it was just a hat that was popular there. Yours doesn't appear to have the "brush" attached tot he ribbon. :D
It could be rebashed any way you like it. They are usually pretty soft and take a new bash easily.
It is also what we call a stingy brim but most Tyroleans I have seen are.

Regards,

J

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
JP, I disagree with you on the Tyrolean. The braid you are correct about. Thats an indication, but the crown shape on this one is too vertical ( not tapered enough). Alot of mfgrs used the braid as a distinguishing treatment

Welcome to the Lounge Wayfarer

Art Fawcett said:
JP, I disagree with you on the Tyrolean. The braid you are correct about. Thats an indication, but the crown shape on this one is too vertical ( not tapered enough). Alot of mfgrs used the braid as a distinguishing treatment.

How about calling it the Green Acres look then? ;) Eddie Albert's character always used to wear one. :p ;)

Regards,

J

BigSho

Vendor
Its a bailey hat with a borsalino label in it i believe. The pin hiding by the feather is the same one that they used. It would the equivalent to a bailey gentry.

Jeremy
Hats Plus Ltd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner