Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Watched E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial last night. I love that movie, always have. I also love the incredible useage of lighting in this movie. A lot of useage of exterior and natural lighting in this movie. It's great!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Captain America: Civil War. LOVED it! Cap's values and morality that he learned growing up and in the '40s are still guiding him in today's world and it's something I LOVE about his character.

Mwa ha ha ha ha ha! Hey man I thought a "Zombie Car" was right up yer alley???? Seriously.... whadja expect from a '70's car movie... Brilliance?

Worf
No, I knew it wasn't going to be good, but I really didn't expect it to be as bad as it was. I'd guess the lion's share of the budget went to George Barris for building the cars. :rolleyes:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Fast And The Furious (1954) John Ireland, Dorothy Malone. Not a very good plot, but what do you expect, it cost Roger Corman $50,000 to make! If you are a true motor head, this is a must see film. They filmed it mostly on location in Pebble Beach during the race. Lots of great 50s sports cars, the star was a 1954 Jaguar XK120 roadster. It even has Dorothy driving an Allard K3!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Captain America: Civil War. Very, very entertaining, but don't believe the hype that it's The Best Superhero Film Yet. It has pacing and story problems, and I don't think its "real world problem" aspect works as well here as it did in CA: The Winter Solider. With that minor complaint, it does a fantastic job of servicing its huge cast: it is really more of an Avengers film than a Captain America film. It brings the wit and fun you expect from Marvel, and elegantly introduces the Black Panther and new Spider-Man. There's plenty of great action... but it's even more impressive in how well it handles the motivations and dialog across its many characters.

Considering its significant plot similarities to the recent Batman V Superman (which I didn't outright hate, but found very disappointing) - heroes fighting each other over fears of godlike beings operating without government oversight (with a villain in the shadows pulling the strings to increase the conflict) - it is VASTLY more successful. If you've seen both films, you should DEFINITELY read this article:

http://theplaylist.net/11-things-ca...an-learnt-captain-america-civil-war-20160509/

"Learning to Drive" Immediately had me thinking about Lizzie's comments about how many movies are made about wealthy, white, middle-aged, NYC women who have some kind of relationship problem.

This one was one cliche after another - professor husband of decades cheats on wife with student and leaves wife / wife learns about independence (through the metaphor of learning to drive) and learns about a financially less-successful socio-economic group by taking driving lessons from a thoughtful and wise Indian man who, too, leverages his relationship with this women to be a better husband to his new arranged-marriage bride.

The only thing that marginally saves this by-the-numbers / market-tested / takes-no-risks script are strong performances by Ben Kingsley and Patricia Clarkson.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Captain America: Civil War. Very, very entertaining, but don't believe the hype that it's The Best Superhero Film Yet. It has pacing and story problems, and I don't think its "real world problem" aspect works as well here as it did in CA: The Winter Solider. With that minor complaint, it does a fantastic job of servicing its huge cast: it is really more of an Avengers film than a Captain America film. It brings the wit and fun you expect from Marvel, and elegantly introduces the Black Panther and new Spider-Man. There's plenty of great action... but it's even more impressive in how well it handles the motivations and dialog across its many characters.

Considering its significant plot similarities to the recent Batman V Superman (which I didn't outright hate, but found very disappointing) - heroes fighting each other over fears of godlike beings operating without government oversight (with a villain in the shadows pulling the strings to increase the conflict) - it is VASTLY more successful. If you've seen both films, you should DEFINITELY read this article:

http://theplaylist.net/11-things-ca...an-learnt-captain-america-civil-war-20160509/

I loved it, too. Can't wait to see it again!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Maybe this should be on the Agent Carter thread, but how can 30-something Sharon Carter be 90-something Peggy's niece? Great-grandniece would be more like it. (And whose child is she supposed to be, since per the TV series Peggy's only male sibling died back in WWII?!?)

While I'm happy that they finally revealed Agent 13 to be Sharon Carter - which all Cap readers knew was coming - this is a bit, um, sloppy.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Maybe this should be on the Agent Carter thread, but how can 30-something Sharon Carter be 90-something Peggy's niece? Great-grandniece would be more like it. (And whose child is she supposed to be, since per the TV series Peggy's only male sibling died back in WWII?!?)

While I'm happy that they finally revealed Agent 13 to be Sharon Carter - which all Cap readers knew was coming - this is a bit, um, sloppy.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Maybe her brother was married and his wife was expecting before he got killed? Still doesn't make the niece part right. Very sloppy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo