Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Edward said:
I've never seen Mrs Miniver, but I do recall some trivia.... I read that Greer Garson, who won the Oscar for her role in that film, still holds the record for the longest acceptance speech in Oscar history when accepting that award - two hours and fifteen minutes, according to the article I read(!).

Gosh how boring! Did noone kick her off the stage?! lol

Bugsy

One Too Many
It's Greer Garson tribute time on TCM. I just watched "Good bye, Mr. Chips", and "Random Harvest". They don't make them like that anymore. BTW, the reason for all the classic films is that I just got cable two days ago--I'm not going to get much else done around here for awhile.

funneman

Practically Family
Meteor (1979)

While channel surfing the other night, I stopped on this one initially because of Karl Malden's stingy brim. But once my thirteen year old daughter caught a whiff of the dialog she wouldn't let me change the channel.

Whiff being the operative word as this was one of the worst stinkers I have ever seen. We both stared at the screen with the kind of fascination people stare at a bad car accident with.

Martin Landau should have been ashamed of himself. He seems to be trying to overcompensate for the bad script by spitting out ever line he has. This had to be a major comedown for Henry Fonda.

And Brian Keith as a Russian never speaks a word of English. Lucky for him.

Thank goodness Vertigo was on later to help cleanse my pallet!

Josephine

One Too Many
The Husband and I introduced Big Miss (just turned 12) to Jaws tonight. She thought it was kind of scary, but after seeing Shark Week on Discovery a few times, wasn't too impressed with the portrayal of the shark. I tried to explain that "back in the day" we didn't know what we do now about sharks, and the movie had a low budget, but I don't think she quite got what I was saying.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Last night I watched "Urban Cowboy" for the who knows how many times.
But for some reason I enjoyed it like it was the first time I ever saw it!
Debra Winger was great in that movie!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've just finished projecting -- before a standing-room-only house -- a lovely print of Buster Keaton's "The General", to the live accompaniment of the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra, playing the film's recently-rediscovered original 1926 score.

There are times I think I have the best job in the world, and this was one of them.

Josephine

One Too Many
I started to watch The Opposite Sex (for the clothes) and Big Miss asked what it was. I told her about The Women and how this remake su-- wasn't as good, and I got 10 min into it when I decided she didn't need to be subjected to it and we watched the Women instead. I had to keep stopping the DVD and explaining who was who (it being in B&W and everyone having near the same haircuts, she had a hard time telling them apart), and she couldn't follow the rapid fire speaking all the time, but she liked it.

Lizzie - that sounds like an amazing fun time!

Rachael

A-List Customer
I watched Jaws last night with the boys. They hadn't seen it yet and started out with.. nothing is scary because we're teenage boys. It was a little heart warming to see them squirm.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Paragon is a *great* orchestra -- they basically do historical reenactment of a mid-twenties average-town theatre pit band, with costumes, props, and the whole routine. If they come to your town, *don't miss them* -- it's the closest we can get to the actual experience of seeing a silent picture as it would have been seen by most people in the twenties. They played here last summer with "The Mark of Zorro," and that version is now available on DVD.

The director, Rick Benjamin, is a very nice guy with an absolute passion for accuracy in what he does -- plus he looks very spiff as he mounts the podium in full white-tie evening clothes.

More about them here -- http://www.paragonragtime.com

LizzieMaine said:
I've just finished projecting -- before a standing-room-only house -- a lovely print of Buster Keaton's "The General", to the live accompaniment of the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra, playing the film's recently-rediscovered original 1926 score. There are times I think I have the best job in the world, and this was one of them.
The general is one of my favorite Keaton movies.

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
"the Aviator" :eusa_clap loved it!

"Swing Kids" :eusa_clap seen it a million times, still love it!

"Once Upon a Time in America" :eusa_clap seen that a couple million times and it never gets old.

"Ferris Buelers Day Off" love the 80's

"Prett in Pink" definately love the 80's

[huh] been stuck in bed a couple days, had to keep from going stir crazy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany