Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society movie on Netflix, based on the incredible book. And the movie was just as good as the book. Wonderfully romantic. I loved it!

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
The Littlest Rebel, starring Shirley Temple.
Panama Hattie with Red Skelton and Ann Sothren, and a host of others. Based on the play by Herbert Fields and Buddy DeSylva. Songs by Cole Porter. Keep your ears turned up for the wisecracks and the high speed dialogue: if you laugh at one line, you might miss the next two lines.

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" (2018)

The book is better, but it's still an enjoyable movie. And how many book-movie combos does that apply to?

The good in the movie is the beautiful cinematography, the strong acting, the wonderful period details and a generally warm-and-friendly feel. The not so good is a story a bit butchered from the book.

Before seeing it, I wondered how they were going to translate a nuanced story about several characters with quirky personalities that covered a reasonably complex time period while merging two distinct narrative arcs. The answer - maybe unavoidably - is that they cut back on most of the characters, reduced one narrative arc and played with some details of the other.

If you are a reader - please read the book first as you will enjoy its richer character details and more intricate-and-subtle story telling. After that, the movie makes for a fun, pretty and quick trip to Guernsey in the 1940s. (I could happily live in any one of the modest houses in the movie, as well as, the Post Office.)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
It's Doris Day on TCM's Summer Under the Stars! Finished Pillow Talk on TCM and now watching That Touch of Mink (on DVD - it's not on TCM right now, but it's still Doris Day!).

It's Doris Day on TCM's Summer Under the Stars! Finished Pillow Talk on TCM and now watching That Touch of Mink (on DVD - it's not on TCM right now, but it's still Doris Day!).

Like a lot of those movies, TTOM falls apart a bit toward the end, but Cary Grant is so good in it that it doesn't really matter.

I recorded "Tunnel of Love" yesterday as I've never seen it and am hoping it's a good Doris Day one from that era. Have you seen it?

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I watched "Ready Player One" last night. Really fun movie. I loved the soundtrack and the visuals were top notch. It had the great Spielberg feel right from the start and it was bursting with 80s and 90s refs.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Like a lot of those movies, TTOM falls apart a bit toward the end, but Cary Grant is so good in it that it doesn't really matter.

I recorded "Tunnel of Love" yesterday as I've never seen it and am hoping it's a good Doris Day one from that era. Have you seen it?
I had it on in the background while I was cleaning, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to it so I can't tell you for sure!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Black Klansman" - Better than Spike Lee's last few offerings. I credit that to it not being his own production. "BASED" on a true story means I've no idea how much of it was true but I know that the central premise, a black police officer infiltrating the Klan DID happen. Solid performances all round. Kinda slow at the start but once it got going it got going. Only one car chase and only one explosion... that was a breath of fresh air. Large, enthusiastic audience at the local Art House which applauded loudly at the end. It's interesting how they weave a certain person's catch phrases into the dialogue at times where it seams absolutely hilarious. Lee ends the film with footage from Charlottesville last year. A bit "on the nose" but considering the relevance to a story set in the '70's you really can't blame him. All in all I give it a solid "B".

Worf

PS- In the film a Jewish officer does the actual infiltrating of the organization.. there's a conversation between him and the Black officer that's both telling and sad.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Last night I watched my second favourite film, Big Night, with Stanley Tucci, Tony Shalhoub and Minnie Driver, among many other greats. I watched it in the company of a bottle of red wine...

BN1.jpg
BN2.jpg
BN3.jpg
SG1.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society movie on Netflix, based on the incredible book. And the movie was just as good as the book. Wonderfully romantic. I loved it!

Loved the book-as I recall the author's niece or granddaughter finished writing the novel after some medical issues arose.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Watched Scott Coopers 'Hostiles' the other night. Gritty Western set in 1898. Slow burner for the most part with occasional and abrupt outbursts of violence. Great performance from Christian Bale and Rosamunde Pike. Too little character exploration and development of the Native Americans. Probably because the film is already quite long as it is. Scenery and cinematography is beautiful. Despite its minor flaws I would absolutely recommend watching it, it's a refreshing alternative to most usual formula-ish and generic entertainment trash Hollywood throws at us.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're screening the 50th Anniversary Restored Version of "Yellow Submarine," which is just as disturbing as it was when I saw it on the bottom half of a double bill in a drive-in theatre fifty years ago. It's interesting, though, to see once again what a bunch of middle-aged producers for King Features Syndicate thought "psychedalia" was all about. The Boys never missed a trick.

"Virginia City" on mute in the background as I work. Three observations from "watching" the movie muted. One, there are a lot of stars in this one. Two, there is a lot - a lot - of action in this one. And, three, damn if Errol Flynn isn't a ridiculously handsome man - I can't image Mariam Hopkins enjoyed being the second prettiest actor in the movie.

We're screening the 50th Anniversary Restored Version of "Yellow Submarine," which is just as disturbing as it was when I saw it on the bottom half of a double bill in a drive-in theatre fifty years ago. It's interesting, though, to see once again what a bunch of middle-aged producers for King Features Syndicate thought "psychedalia" was all about. The Boys never missed a trick.
Initially The Beatles themselves wanted nothing to do with the movie, and only agreed to it's production as an easy way for them to complete their movie contract by providing pre-recorded and four hastily-produced new songs for it (for anyone who doesn't know, voice actors provided the voices throughout the movie). It was only after they had seen the near-finished movie, and liked it well enough, that they agreed to do the short live-action bit tacked on at the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21