Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Away on temporary duty I watched a number of things, lastly Amelie, which I hadn't seen in a while.

Arrived home yesterday, six hour drive from Ottawa, and watched Home Alone with the girls, continuing the Christmas cavalcade!

Good review FF, but you didn't mention the appearance of Charters and Caldicott!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charters_and_Caldicott

Thought about mentioning them - and they were outstanding in it with some very funny lines - but trying to keep these posts from running on.

Really enjoyed the movie. Amazing how much like a Hitchcock movie it felt.

Love the poster from it:
yeWQyGUC9wbJ1ik9nmZdOGx1nxPY71_large.jpg

Yesterday was a rainy, wet and foggy Sunday in NYC, so, TCM to the rescue.

First up was the always-worth-checking-out 10am Noir Alley. I got there a bit late but still enjoyed yesterday morning's offering of "Crack Up" from 1946 staring Pat O'Brien, Claire Trevor and Herbert Marshall. By the time I tuned in, art-forgery-expert O'Brien was already being gaslighted to prevent him from exposing a racket that switched famous painting with forgeries that were, then, destroyed in fires or shipwrecks and claimed for insurance. As an aside, a question: what would be worth more, one-million dollars or Pat O'Brien's head filled with quarters?

"Crack Up" has all the necessary film noir elements - gritty black-and-white street scenes, some bad people who don't hide that they are bad people, some bad people who do hide that they are bad people, attractive but worn-a-bit-at-the-edges women who you aren't sure if they are good or bad people, angelic looking women who aren't angels and good guys lost, confused or otherwise dispirited but still putting up some sort of a fight against evil. Throw in some solid detective work, plenty of shadowy night scenes, several people getting bonked on the head and a bunch of surprises at the end and this noir entertains the whole way through. (Touch of Evil - did you watch this one?)

Next up on TCM was "Adam's Rib," but I had some work to do, so I watched it mainly with the sound off. The restoration is gorgeous with crisp images and incredible details very visible. Also, there are wonderful Fedora Lounge NYC scenes. While, yesterday, I only listened to, maybe, ten-percent, I can say from memory that it is one of the better Tracey-Hepburn pairings with some pretty good rat-a-tat-tat dialogue. Also, a very, very young Judy Holiday and her enervating voice have a pretty big role.

Finally, I was done with my work (the world was easier when you had to go to work, to work) and about twenty minutes after it started, I was able to watch "A Catered Affair." I hadn't seen it in years, but remember having a so-so opinion of it - boy was I wrong. This is a way-better-than-average view of a struggling, mid-'50s, Brooklyn, working-class, immigrant family.

Once you forgive Bette Davis' and Ernest Borgnine's horrible and inconsistent attempts at maintaining Irish accents and ignore the impossibility of squeaky clean Debbie Reynolds ever popping out of any combination in the Davis-and-Borgnine gene pool, you are left with the viscerally real story of a financially struggling family fighting over whether or not to throw a catered wedding for their daughter. Daughter Reynolds doesn't want it; father Borgnine can't afford it, but force-of-nature mother Davis - sincerely wanting to give her neglected daughter something and, also, not wanting to be embarrassed in front of her friends and new in-laws - pushes everyone into planing an unaffordable wedding.

Spilling out of that effort, instead of the usual '50s movie hi jinx, comes a ripping open of every old family wound and buried emotion. Borgnine's and Davis' arranged and nearly loveless marriage is shaken to its core; Borgnine's dream to buy into a cab is threatened; anger over Davis' uncle living with (and off of them) is exposed while Reynolds is pulled every which way trying to keep peace in their claustrophobic apartment with tensions building as additional wedding bills pour in.

Add in some incredible '50s NYC street scenes, a nuanced performance from Rod Taylor as Reynold's up-against-it fiancee and a window into the wedding racket (which hasn't changed much other than that it's gotten even more rackety) and the movie speeds forward with so much rich dialogue and smart asides that another viewing soon is a must.

After that, I flipped over to watch the Giants all but give a victory away to the Chicago Bears in the fourth quarter. In the end, after doing everything they could to lose a game they had locked up, the Giants showed some grit by pulling out a victory in overtime, but their pathetic inability to wrap this game up in regular play reminded me of why I've been watching so little Giants football this year. From there, it was on to the Tom Brady incredible-career show and another Patriots victory.

All in all, a heck of a TV day powered mainly by the invaluable TCM.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" - Ah the Coen Brothers. They prove they still got it. This 6 episode piece kept us riveted over 2 nights. Running from the ridiculous, to the dramatic and from the dramatic to the downright chilling I could not help but admit I enjoyed all but 1 of the vignettes. Well worth it if you've time and Netflix.

"Journey's End" - I'd seen this film advertised over the summer and Doc Strange hipped me to it's being on Amazon. I caught it last night. Excellent performances however the film suffers from being an oft told tale filmed on lunch money. The Western Front was a massive affair and the trenches stretched from the Belgian forests to the sea. I know the film focuses on one Company in the line but they seem short on bodies and their trenchworks aren't quite right. From what I've read and seen in documentaries trenches had elaborate workings where soldiers could wait out the inevitable artillery barrage then take their posts afterwards when the enemy is rushing their position. In this film the soldiers just sit in the trenches with NO COVER and get shelled into next Tuesday.. that's just not how it was done. Only watch if WWI is your meat.

Worf

My Lizzie question for today: Lizzie, I'm sure you've seen "The Catered Affair," what did you think of it? As I was watching it, I was thinking "Lizzie would like this movie for its honest (overall - hey, it's still a movie) portrayal of working-class Brooklyn in the '50s."

Also, forgot to mention it in my comments above, but a Horn and Hardart type of place pops up (looked, but didn't see any H&H signage, but also didn't stop the movie) when the engaged couple meet for lunch.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I haven't -- but your description yesterday makes me want to. I'll be watching for it the next time it comes out.

As for me, I watched bits and pieces of the various Philo Vance pictures TCM ran last night. Warren William is the very essence of the stuck-up, nose-in-the-air Vance of the books, and Eugene Pallette is perfect as his rough and tough sidekick Sergeant Heath. Paul Lukas, however, is no more Philo Vance than I am, and whoever thought casting him was a good idea should have sought out a new line of work, preferably on the WPA.

I haven't -- but your description yesterday makes me want to. I'll be watching for it the next time it comes out.

As for me, I watched bits and pieces of the various Philo Vance pictures TCM ran last night. Warren William is the very essence of the stuck-up, nose-in-the-air Vance of the books, and Eugene Pallette is perfect as his rough and tough sidekick Sergeant Heath. Paul Lukas, however, is no more Philo Vance than I am, and whoever thought casting him was a good idea should have sought out a new line of work, preferably on the WPA.

They run "The Catered Affair" regularly, but, I just checked, it's not on TCM's upcoming schedule yet. Hopefully, it will pop up soon as I'd love to get your take.

That is absolutely William's sweet spot - but he can, surprisingly, play a nice guy as he does in "Three on a Match." When I was watching that movie recently, I kept expecting "mean" Williams to come out, but he convincingly remained nice throughout.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I watched The Penguin Pool Murder last night. It’s a comedy with a natural 1930’s flair. The story line is pretty good but as always the cinematography and the actors really pull it together for and enjoyable movie night. Edna Mae Oliver and James Gleason are a middle age couple that fall in love while solving a murder. One of the lines that made me laugh was Inspector Piper talking to himself after dinner about Schoolteacher Hildegarde Withers “boy, she can cook”. Such innocence compared to today’s films.

5BF2D902-D66E-4C11-81E6-D567573175C0.jpeg

Steven

There was a whole series of those Hildegarde Withers movies -- Oliver and Gleason are one of the unsung comedy teams of the thirties. Great stuff with a couple of great character actors.

Gleason is one of my favorite character actors form the GE who - once you get to know - you realizes pops up in an incredible number of movies in substantial roles.

We tried it this evening. My wife wasn't impressed, nor was I in the beginning and we shut it off. On your recommendation I will try it again when she is gone some evening.
My wife and I watched it last night. It was in our opinion typical Coen bros weird and creepy but we both found it strangely compelling. Even my wife who is blood adverse watched it all the way through. Some vignettes better than the others, the opening one was one of least compelling of the bunch. If you give it another go post your take on it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I watched it last night. It was in our opinion typical Coen bros weird and creepy but we both found it strangely compelling. Even my wife who is blood adverse watched it all the way through. Some vignettes better than the others, the opening one was one of least compelling of the bunch. If you give it another go post your take on it.
My sentiments exactly. The first vignette is the only silly one in the bunch. I think if you give it another go you'll be entertained.

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I think I already mentioned that I was not impressed with The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. The Coens are incapable of making anything that doesn't look great, and is uniquely their own. But this struck me as a nice chance for them to play in the sandbox of discredited western tropes... but with no unifying theme/message/POV, or any real commentary about the western film or experience. It's a minor-league Coen project, one that doesn't project any of the truthful observation found in their better films.

That said, I have been unable to really shake off some of the images/events of the film... so I may end up re-evaluating it later. (I was disappointed in Inside Llewyn Davis on first viewing, but on subsequent visits have come to feel it's their most recent four-star film, a brilliant portrait of how a tremendously talented artist can be utterly self-defeating and self-sabotaging in a quest for "integrity".)

MissMittens

One Too Many
Since there was so much buzz, watched Ballad of Buster.....and to me, it was a bust. The story left a lot to be desired, and the screenplay felt really weak, like they weren't even trying in places. Visually it's great, but visuals alone just don't do it for me. Disappointed

Yikes man... didn't know you were such a state. Of course I'll join with FF in the East Coast choir of sending you best wishes for a speedy recovery. I won't ask how it happened... That'll teach to kick walls... they don't move! Seriously get well... keep em flyin'!

Worf (doing his half nekid healing dance)

Thank you for the greatly appreciated “best wishes.” Clumsy me, I fell off of the garage roof just as I was finishing cleaning the gutters: finished sooner than expected. I landed heel first on cement and shattered my heel. Dummy me. No walking on/with this foot for 10 to 12 weeks. Christmas vacation started early for me although this is no vacation.
Fortunately, I have the Fabulous Lady ToE to take care of me.
:D

Crime Wave (1954) on TCM. Nice and crisp black and white cinematography. A lot of neat shots of city and real life from the time. Even though it receives only a two-star rating, it is worth a watch.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21