Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Inception in the theater this afternoon. Another fascinating flick from Christopher Nolan. I liked it a bit less than his Batman films, but more than The Prestige or Memento. I give it a lot of credit for being such an intellectual/philosophical movie, and for being very clever and well crafted.

Amelia on DVD tonight. It was okay, but I expected better from Mira Nair. It was reasonably well done, but just lacked something. And it had a few annoying period-incorrect aspects.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"Push" with Dakota Fanning. Interesting concept and intriguing setting of Hong Kong but ultimately this was confused, self important and all over the show. Some of the cinematography was beautiful and the direction was good but in the end quite annoying. 5/10.

ron521

One of the Regulars
A group of my friends watched "Metropolis" last night. Besides the impressive special effects, the sleek gynoid, and the set design, I could not help thinking how nicely dressed Joh Fredersen, the Master of Metropolis, was dressed.
He would look good in a business meeting today.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
Inception in the theater this afternoon. Another fascinating flick from Christopher Nolan. I liked it a bit less than his Batman films, but more than The Prestige or Memento. I give it a lot of credit for being such an intellectual/philosophical movie, and for being very clever and well crafted.

This is the only film I want to see this summer. Im craving an intellectual mind bender.

LD

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
This is the only film I want to see this summer. Im craving an intellectual mind bender.

LD
After you see it, go and read all the Q&A's on IMDB. It will calrify some stuff that you might miss. I know I missed a few things!

Not a movie per se, but I'm about two-thirds of the way through the Columbia Batman serials from 1943 on dvd. Clearly made "on the cheap" with simplified plots, inconsistencies, sub-standard performances, and Batman and Robin costumes that are laughable by today's standards. I don't think anyone associated with these thought they would ever be watched back-to-back, so they're pretty repetitive once you get past the first "chapter": Villain devises evil plot, Batman and Robin discover it and try to prevent it, fist fight ensues, cliffhanger ending, repeat. But they're still fun to watch (if you can overlook the prevalent anti-Japanese sentiments, that is--these were made during World War II), and the vehicles, fashions, and locations (when they're not on a set, that is) are pure 1943 goodness!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
I'm excited about this one. What did you think?

I did enjoy this film - it was very stylishly done (some of scenes were beautifully shot and reminded me a little of the work of George Hoyningen-Huene) and Colin Firth (who I have never really rated before) gave a great performance as did Julianne Moore. However, I think (for me anyway) the movie could have been a little tighter and I felt it dragged a little towards the end but overall it was quite enjoyable.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - first movie I have enjoyed from start to finish in a while (even though some scenes were difficult to watch)....

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I devoured all three of the books and the movie was well done (in Swedish, with subtitles). They nailed the character of Lisbeth Salander perfectly.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
AmateisGal said:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I devoured all three of the books and the movie was well done (in Swedish, with subtitles). They nailed the character of Lisbeth Salander perfectly.

I believe there is a Hollywood remake on the way that will star Daniel Craig and Carey Mulligan (rumoured). Why oh why do all these great movies have to be remade by Hollywood?!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Miss Golightly said:
I did enjoy this film - it was very stylishly done (some of scenes were beautifully shot and reminded me a little of the work of George Hoyningen-Huene) and Colin Firth (who I have never really rated before) gave a great performance as did Julianne Moore. However, I think (for me anyway) the movie could have been a little tighter and I felt it dragged a little towards the end but overall it was quite enjoyable.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - first movie I have enjoyed from start to finish in a while (even though some scenes were difficult to watch)....

Thanks. I've noticed that we share opinions on many movies, so I appreciate your comments.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Miss Golightly said:
I believe there is a Hollywood remake on the way that will star Daniel Craig and Carey Mulligan (rumoured). Why oh why do all these great movies have to be remade by Hollywood?!

I heard the same thing! And as much as I love Daniel Craig (and he would be good in this role), I honestly don't see why they have to do this. The Swedish version was terrific.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Zombie_61 said:
Not a movie per se, but I'm about two-thirds of the way through the Columbia Batman serials from 1943 on dvd. Clearly made "on the cheap" with simplified plots, inconsistencies, sub-standard performances, and Batman and Robin costumes that are laughable by today's standards. I don't think anyone associated with these thought they would ever be watched back-to-back, so they're pretty repetitive once you get past the first "chapter": Villain devises evil plot, Batman and Robin discover it and try to prevent it, fist fight ensues, cliffhanger ending, repeat. But they're still fun to watch (if you can overlook the prevalent anti-Japanese sentiments, that is--these were made during World War II), and the vehicles, fashions, and locations (when they're not on a set, that is) are pure 1943 goodness!

You are correct, Zombie 61, the chapters were written and filmed with the knowledge that they would be viewed a week apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari