Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Persona (1966)

Outstanding and mind-blowing film! Before this the only Bergman I'd seen was The Seventh Seal, but Persona was so good. I had its impressive imagery and performances running through my mind all night after seeing it. It's the kind of movie that makes me want to see nothing but monochrome the rest of my days...and that includes in so-called reality.

In fact, I'd even go as far as stating that seeing Persona has been one of the greatest film-watching experiences of my entire (wretched) life.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We hosted a special show of the sing-a-long version of "Grease" this afternoon -- about 200 people, evenly divided between middle-aged nostalgics and rowdy pre-teens, all singing at the top of their lungs. Our acoustics may never recover.

I can't stand the essential message of the movie (be a tramp to get your fella), but two of my favorite '30s actresses have roles -- Eve Arden and Joan Blondell -- and it's always good to see them. Pity they couldn't have found a role for Patsy Kelly.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
We hosted a special show of the sing-a-long version of "Grease" this afternoon -- about 200 people, evenly divided between middle-aged nostalgics and rowdy pre-teens, all singing at the top of their lungs. Our acoustics may never recover.

I can't stand the essential message of the movie (be a tramp to get your fella), but two of my favorite '30s actresses have roles -- Eve Arden and Joan Blondell -- and it's always good to see them. Pity they couldn't have found a role for Patsy Kelly.

She would have been great as Rizzo's Grandma, or maiden Aunt

Last edited:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The moving was addicting, yet so depressing... agree Viggo mastered the role. Reminded me of Book of Eli for some reason.

The Road is WAY better than Book of Eli, which was so pretentious. Though it was good to see Washington and Beales in a film together again (Devil in a Blue Dress).

LD

TCMfan25

Practically Family
The moving was addicting, yet so depressing... agree Viggo mastered the role. Reminded me of Book of Eli for some reason.

Book of Eli came to mind, but it really reminded me of the Fallout games. I have to agree about the addictiveness, I've seen it 3 or 4 times since last year!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The Man Who Knew Too Much 1934, The Maltese Falcon 1941, Peter Lorre double feature! There is something about him that creeps me out...

Watch him in Quicksand; he's the best thing in the movie (apart from the Santa Monica pier shots), which features Mickey Rooney and Jeanne Cagney.

Recently saw Undercurrent (1946, MGM) with Robert Taylor, Katherine Hepburn, and Robert Mitchum. I had read reviews of how Taylor and Hepburn were mis-matched, but I didn't think so; any lack of "chemistry" between them likely came from the script and/or Minnelli's direction. Taylor was calculating as the heavy, and for once Hepburn wasn't simply playing Hepburn. Mitchum underplayed a bit too much.

A couple of nights ago on Antenna TV, I saw John Hurt in 1984, and found it somewhat lacking. Although I could feel some sympathy for Winston and Julia, it seemed that their characters were simply thrust upon the viewer. In addition, some more background information, as regards how the world got into the state it was in (as well as more detail on the workings of the Oceania government), would have been helpful. What was interesting was how the world of 1984 was presented, in sort of a steampunk scenario of not-too-futuristic-looking rotary phones, black and white TV screens, and safety razors. It was good to see Richard Burton in the duplicitous role of O'Brien, though. Bottom line is that I prefer the version with Edmund O'Brien (and the book).

The Man Who Knew Too Much 1934, The Maltese Falcon 1941, Peter Lorre double feature! There is something about him that creeps me out...

In this scene from Fritz Lang's 1931 classic M Peter Lorre is at his best. In the film Peter Lorre is a serial killer who preys on children. The massive police manhunt has only succeeded in disrupting the activities of the underworld who, as a result, have launched their own manhunt for Lorre. Eventually he is captured by the underworld who have put him on trial. On an interesting note: Many of the extras in this scene were actual criminals hired by Lang for versimilitude.

[video=youtube;1g-sfrQnwwg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g-sfrQnwwg&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Les Parapluies de Cherbourg (The Umbrellas of Cherbourg) - I made my husband watch this last night - I had a feeling that once he got used to them singing throughout he would like it - and he did!

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I *love* Rumpole of the Bailey. Which episodes? I've seen them all. Leo McKern is wonderful.
It was the first disc of the series. The ones I watched were about the MP on trial, the hippies who wanted to make a statement, the couple seeking a divorce, and I can't recollect the rest.

I first watched Rumpole with my folks when it ran on PBS here in the States, and got hooked. McKern is great in the role.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Did I mention here last week that I saw The Return of the King? It was that Phantom Events special in selected theaters. Close to four hours. Liked it a whole lot~

And, watched The Red Shoes (1948) for the first time. It was amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm