Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Don't know how I missed this one before, but I'm currently watching "Love's Labours Lost", the 2000 version, set in academia Britain early 40s (I'm guessing); Shakespeare verbatim, interspersed with musical numbers by the likes of Porter and Gershwin.....

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
The D.I. (1957). My dad made me watch it when I joined the Corps at 17 years old...of course, after I signed the contract. Not too much had changed on Parris Island, since I went only 34 years after the movie.

Last edited:

BigFitz

Practically Family
Watched Mulholland Dr. again this morning. Woke up around 3:30 for a bit (or so I thought) and found it on amovie channel. Love this movie although it has a less than happy ending. Of course that's one of the reasons I like it.

Edward

Bartender
Haven't seen Darkman in ages, I just remember it being HORRIBLE!! :rolleyes:

It was the film Sam Raimi made when he couldn't get the rights to do The Shadow. I like it. It would have been better, I think, I had it been set as a period piece than "now" (as then was), but that's to personal taste. It's a great story and nicely executed. Great villain. Only the look is a little bit dated, but that's the Eighties for you (ues, I know it was technically released in 1990, but almost all Hollywood films south of 1995 look desperately 1980s).

Watched Mulholland Dr. again this morning. Woke up around 3:30 for a bit (or so I thought) and found it on amovie channel. Love this movie although it has a less than happy ending. Of course that's one of the reasons I like it.

There's little in contemporary cinema I hate more than Hollywood Happy Endings. I mean, I watch films to escape, same as everybody else, so I don't demand total realism in everything, but some things just defy suspension of disbelief...

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Public Enemy (1931) again....Fantastic eye candy. I want all the suits AND the workwear, sweaters, chambray shirts...It's funny: Some of the scenes played as early as 1908 but were very 30s too. If a movie today has inaccurate costumes all the Fedora Loungers get angry abou it but in 1931 it only adds to the charme.

publicenemy_01.jpg
071204_the-public-enemy.jpg

public-enemy.jpg
Public-Enemy_l.jpg

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PS. It bugs me that so many 1930s movies are not easily avaivable in europe (Region code 2) I couldn't find the Cagney classics: G-men, Taxi, Ladykiller, Footlight Parade (!!!) on DVD. I want to see them in good quality and not some youtube stream :-/

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
It was the film Sam Raimi made when he couldn't get the rights to do The Shadow. I like it. It would have been better, I think, I had it been set as a period piece than "now" (as then was), but that's to personal taste. It's a great story and nicely executed. Great villain. Only the look is a little bit dated, but that's the Eighties for you (ues, I know it was technically released in 1990, but almost all Hollywood films south of 1995 look desperately 1980s).

Maybe if I saw it again I'd like it more. It was some time ago.

Saw All About Steve last night...Such a cheese ball, but it had funny moments. Though I don't think I would have watched it had it not starred Sandra Bullock.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The D.I. (1957). My dad made me watch it when I joined the Corps at 17 years old...of course, after I signed the contract. Not too much had changed on Parris Island, since I went only 34 years after the movie.
Made a point to DVR this one myself. I hadn't seen the entire film EVER. I see where Ermy copped a lot of his mannerism for his portrayal in Full Metal Jacket. I was in the Army (Comat Engineer) but believe me a Drill Instructor is the same wherever and whenever you join. I actually had nightmares after viewing that one. Ahhh Boot Camp!

Worf

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Today was "Captains of the Clouds" with James Cagney, Alan Hale (Sr.)...etc. First color movie for Cagney. TCM.
Tonight "Treasure of the Sierra Nevada" with Bogart, Holt, Huston, McLean.....Alfonso Bedoya "Badges...we ain't got no stinkin' badges".
TCM tonight at 7 PM PST

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
Airport. 1970. Burt Lancaster and Dean Martin. Sequels I plan to watch this weekend are Airport 75 with Charlton Heston and Linda Blair (no head-spinning), and Airport 77 with Jack Lemmon and Jimmy Stewart. Of course, take these three 70s classics, and you get Airplane!.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt