Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Harold and Maude - loved it! i can't believe I have never seen it before.

I also introduced my 12 year old son to The Rocky Horror Show. His verdict 'Good, but very weird!' I tried telling him that in a few years he will be off to see it wearing ladies underwear clutching a bag of kit kats. He didn't believe me!

Juliet

A-List Customer
I tried telling him that in a few years he will be off to see it wearing ladies underwear clutching a bag of kit kats. He didn't believe me!

I think that's the most amusing summary I've heard this far! :D

Since I'm on a mission (get my mother as addicted to old films as I am) - Laura and That darn cat.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I watched O Brother Where Art Thou with a friend last night, probably my thirtieth time seeing it. "Well ain't this place just a geographical oddity - two weeks' from everywhere!".

I laugh every. single. time when he wakes up and goes, "My hair!"

"You stole from my kin!"
"Who was fixin' to betray us!"
"That don't make no sense!"

Classic.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I laugh every. single. time when he wakes up and goes, "My hair!"

"You stole from my kin!"
"Who was fixin' to betray us!"
"That don't make no sense!"

Classic.

"Uh, Wash, I suppose it would be the acme of foolishness to ask if you happen to have any hairnets?"
"There's some over there in yon' bureau. Mrs. Hogwollop's, I guess. I won't be needin' 'em!"

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Saw a British "post war second wave" film last night that I'd never seen before (thank you Lord above for TCM) a little gem called "The L Shaped Room". What beautiful Black and White photography and that sense of post war, post empire ennui just permeates everything. Great film making with NO Hollywood ending. I enjoyed it thoroughly...

Worf

DNO

One Too Many
"Uh, Wash, I suppose it would be the acme of foolishness to ask if you happen to have any hairnets?"
"There's some over there in yon' bureau. Mrs. Hogwollop's, I guess. I won't be needin' 'em!"

The train scene always kills me: "Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?"

or "Oh George...not the livestock"

Great film.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Saw a British "post war second wave" film last night that I'd never seen before (thank you Lord above for TCM) a little gem called "The L Shaped Room". What beautiful Black and White photography and that sense of post war, post empire ennui just permeates everything. Great film making with NO Hollywood ending. I enjoyed it thoroughly...

Worf

And I watched the previous film on TCM, A Kind of Loving. Another example of the early sixties "kitchen sink drama" (a term that used to be used far more often than "British New Wave" to characterize these films) like The L-Shaped Room. It was excellent, and would make a really good double feature with a more recent film set in that time, An Education - the female lead even looked a bit like Carey Mulligan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_sink_realism

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Last night I rented the latest iteration of the Three Musketeers (I think there was a thread on it prior to its release last year). It disappeared at the box office, and while I can now understand perhaps why that was the case, it was an entertaining, visually stunning film. Fun in a suspend your disbelief and just go with it sort of way! D'Artagnan was cast age appropriately, which oddly enough was my major complaint!

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
And I watched the previous film on TCM, A Kind of Loving. Another example of the early sixties "kitchen sink drama" (a term that used to be used far more often than "British New Wave" to characterize these films) like The L-Shaped Room. It was excellent, and would make a really good double feature with a more recent film set in that time, An Education - the female lead even looked a bit like Carey Mulligan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_sink_realism
I agree with your premise. "An Education" was an excellent film that really knocked my socks off when I rented it last years. Kinda funny isn't. England the land of pretense and stiff upper lip... begins to turn out some of the most stark, honest and human drama of the era!

Worf

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The train scene always kills me: "Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?"

or "Oh George...not the livestock"

Great film.

When John Goodman squishes the frog and Delmar screams because he thinks the frog is Pete...oh MAN. TOO funny! lol lol lol

"Damn! We're in a tight spot!"

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Sorry - had to correct my quote of earlier.

Pete: You miserable little snake! You stole from my kin!
Ulysses Everett McGill: Who was fixin' to betray us.
Pete: You didn't know that at the time.
Ulysses Everett McGill: So I borrowed it until I did know.
Pete: That don't make no sense!
Ulysses Everett McGill: Pete, it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Watching The Big Heat with Glenn Ford and Lee Marvin tonight. Borrowed from my local library.

Excellent film. The famous hot-coffee-in-the-face scene was actually pre-dated by a scene in Raw Deal (1948), where Raymond Burr throws (towards the camera) what appears to be a flaming flambeau pot at a woman who accidentally spills a drink on his shoulder. Says Burr: "Take her away...She should have been more careful."

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Excellent film. The famous hot-coffee-in-the-face scene was actually pre-dated by a scene in Raw Deal (1948), where Raymond Burr throws (towards the camera) what appears to be a flaming flambeau pot at a woman who accidentally spills a drink on his shoulder. Says Burr: "Take her away...She should have been more careful."
I like that movie. My fave scene in it is when Ford's brother in law and some vets come over to protect his child from abduction by the mob after they'd mistakenly killed his wife. They don't recognise Ford at first and he practically gets killed by them before he realizes they're their to protect his little girl. I personally would've been proud to see those mobsters try and tackle battle hardened combat vets protecting a child. As one vet said.... "I've stormed places those punks wouldn't go without a tank!"

Amen.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24