Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
King Creole with Elvis Presley and Walter Matthau. I was very surprised at Presley's acting performance. Quite well done.

Yes, he was actually good in that. I know he was frustrated, he did not want to sing, he wanted to do hard hitting parts! He should have fired the carnival barker, Colonel Tom Parker, then we could have seen a much better Elvis!

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Cage of Evil (1960) with a lot of people I have never heard of. Sort of a police procedural, complete with voice over narration, mixed with elements of noir. The look reminded me of a tv show. I am certain Ted Knight has a microscopic part near the end as a detective.

King Creole with Elvis Presley and Walter Matthau. I was very surprised at Presley's acting performance. Quite well done.

In "Love me Tender," "Jailhouse Rock" and in scenes here and there in his formula movies, you can see that with some work and development he could have been a decent actor. It's a shame that he didn't go that route, but his career / his life was a series of bad decisions with raw powerful talent making up for a lot of those, but not all of them.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
In "Love me Tender," "Jailhouse Rock" and in scenes here and there in his formula movies, you can see that with some work and development he could have been a decent actor. It's a shame that he didn't go that route, but his career / his life was a series of bad decisions with raw powerful talent making up for a lot of those, but not all of them.

His life sort of mirrored the movie in that way, didn't it? :) It's a shame. So talented. I love the songs he sang in King Creole. His voice, coupled with the hair and the way he swung those hips...well, let's just say I can understand why the female population went ballistic.

His life sort of mirrored the movie in that way, didn't it? :) It's a shame. So talented. I love the songs he sang in King Creole. His voice, coupled with the hair and the way he swung those hips...well, let's just say I can understand why the female population went ballistic.

As we say today, "intelligently managed," he could have been so much more. That said, like Michael Jackson, Brian Jones and others, maybe nobody could manage their inner demons. I often think that people like that might have actually been cursed to have been that successful as being released from the demands of a daily schedule, regular job, day-to-day pressures might have allowed the "crazy" to take over. Perhaps, if they didn't have the freedom their wealth allowed (and the adulations, etc.), they would have, perforce, kept their "crazy" in check.

As to the fun part - "Viva Las Vegas" is my favorite Elvis formula movie as he is in top form, the music is good (not great) and Ann Margaret holds her own throughout and for more raw, real Elvis music, his "1968 Comeback Special" is fantastic - he sounds great, does some incredible numbers and still looks awesome - none of the silliness that was to come is there yet.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
VLV is my favorite Elvis movie, but there are some parts that are so hokey (him singing on the houseboat) that I'll fast forward each time I see it. I will rewind the scenes of him singing with Ann Margaret in the yellow dress, and her in her dance practice outfit.

VLV is my favorite Elvis movie, but there are some parts that are so hokey (him singing on the houseboat) that I'll fast forward each time I see it. I will rewind the scenes of him singing with Ann Margaret in the yellow dress, and her in her dance practice outfit.

Those are the money numbers - no question. Definitely above the basic Elvis movie numbers.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I guess what I really liked about King Creole was it was such a departure from the typical "hokiness" (sp?) I usually associate with Elvis movies. It was dark and raw and gritty. I didn't expect it at all. Plus, I always like seeing Walter Matthau as the bad guy. :D I like him as the bad guy in Charade, too, though I do prefer seeing him as the funny guy.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
As we say today, "intelligently managed," he could have been so much more. That said, like Michael Jackson, Brian Jones and others, maybe nobody could manage their inner demons. I often think that people like that might have actually been cursed to have been that successful as being released from the demands of a daily schedule, regular job, day-to-day pressures might have allowed the "crazy" to take over. Perhaps, if they didn't have the freedom their wealth allowed (and the adulations, etc.), they would have, perforce, kept their "crazy" in check.

There is something to be said for this. I am by no means a creative genius, but I have always been a creative person - writing, art, music, etc. - and past experience has proven that without a schedule of some kind, I quickly fall into bad habits, depression, and worse. That's why I know that even if I didn't have to work a full-time job to pay the bills, I'd still work some kind of part-time job or volunteer, otherwise I'd go nuts.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
An eight-hour-long safety training presentation for the local carageenan factory which rented us out from 7 am to 5pm. And that's just the first half -- the second eight hours is Thursday. It's like an industrial film by Erich von Stroheim.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I can see the steam plume from the factory from my front porch. Seaweed Is Our Most Important Product!

In all seriousness, though, there was a very dramatic moment when they got to the part about a worker who lost both his hands when he grabbed an electrically-charged line without his rubber safety gloves. Said worker then appeared in person to display his hooks, and the house fell dead silent. A lot of safety kits will be inspected very carefully tomorrow morning.

I can see the steam plume from the factory from my front porch. Seaweed Is Our Most Important Product!

In all seriousness, though, there was a very dramatic moment when they got to the part about a worker who lost both his hands when he grabbed an electrically-charged line without his rubber safety gloves. Said worker then appeared in person to display his hooks, and the house fell dead silent. A lot of safety kits will be inspected very carefully tomorrow morning.

That first part sounds like one of the opening lines of the presentation. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn