Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
It is one of those very good movies - with a surprising strong cast - that flies under the radar. Also, it is another example of Welles' talent as an actor. "Citizen Kane" and Welles' own outsized personality has so overwhelmed his career that his outright talent as a very good actor is almost ignored.

I also love movies like this as they are like little quiet gems tucked away that I enjoy every time I happen to see them that only regular classic movie buffs know. They don't get the attention they deserve, but that also means you can enjoy them without having too much outside commentary running through your head. I saw part of "Casablanca" the other day, and while I enjoyed it, it is so over discussed and analyzed that it's like eating a dish and noticing each ingredient individually, I can't fully appreciate the combined flavor, i.e., the movie as it was intended.

I remember the first time I watched Casablanca - it was in high school and I wasn't too impressed with it. Yet it was so hyped that I thought I'd be blown away by it. But since I've watched it several times now, I've come to appreciate it much more. I also read a book on how they made the movie - they didn't have an easy time of it!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Currently starting my weekend movie binge watching of WW2 flicks. First up on Turner Classic Movies: "Air Force" with John Garfield and Harry Carey. I've never seen it before.

I remember the first time I watched Casablanca - it was in high school and I wasn't too impressed with it. Yet it was so hyped that I thought I'd be blown away by it. But since I've watched it several times now, I've come to appreciate it much more. I also read a book on how they made the movie - they didn't have an easy time of it!

Felt the same way. Expectations were set way, way too high. But once I was disappointed, I could then, over time, come to appreciate it. That has happened to several movies for me - I couldn't stand "Gone With the Wind" at first - after all, I was told it was the, or one of the, GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME and have come to like (not love) it. The best is when you discover a classic or hidden gem with no prior hype.

Same here. I'd heard so many good things about Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon over the years that I found it difficult to really appreciate them during my first viewings because by then it was impossible for them to have lived up to "the hype". Conversely, I'd heard so many negative comments about the difficult-to-follow plot in The Big Sleep that I had no such preconceived notions, and on the first viewing it became one of my favorite movies of the era. Having seen all three a number of times now, I've come to appreciate them equally.

Currently starting my weekend movie binge watching of WW2 flicks. First up on Turner Classic Movies: "Air Force" with John Garfield and Harry Carey. I've never seen it before.
TCM aired Destination Tokyo just before Air Force, and both movies feature some of the same actors in supporting roles. I joked with my wife that they had apparently left the navy and joined the air force. lol

TCM is having a Memorial Day Marathon of military movies, and I'm looking forward to seeing a few classics I haven't seen before.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Same here. I'd heard so many good things about Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon over the years that I found it difficult to really appreciate them during my first viewings because by then it was impossible for them to have lived up to "the hype". Conversely, I'd heard so many negative comments about the difficult-to-follow plot in The Big Sleep that I had no such preconceived notions, and on the first viewing it became one of my favorite movies of the era. Having seen all three a number of times now, I've come to appreciate them equally.

"Casablanca" and "The Maltese Falcon" are great movies the first time you watch them, but multiple viewings reveal that they're simply very good examples of 1940's Warner Bros. potboilers.

Gance's "Napoleon," Griffith's "Broken Blossoms," and "Diplomaniacs," with Wheeler and Woolsey, are great movies that get greater with every viewing.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Introducing Lily to "The Princess Bride". She is loving it!

20150523_161706_zpsdbvsdutx_edit_1432423441740_zpsfuqqhcro.jpg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

TCM aired Destination Tokyo just before Air Force, and both movies feature some of the same actors in supporting roles. I joked with my wife that they had apparently left the navy and joined the air force. lol

TCM is having a Memorial Day Marathon of military movies, and I'm looking forward to seeing a few classics I haven't seen before.

Yep, I watched quite a few on TCM today; going to watch a special on Omaha Beach on PBS in a few minutes.

We went to see the new Mad Max installment.
I went in wanting to hate these studio execs jumping on the whole re-make wagon....but, I gotta say that I liked it.
All the good stuff was there. Great cars, imaginative costumes, bad bad villains, lots and lots of explosions, and....strong female roles.
It was like watching a very weird piece of art.
I can't believe that anyone would be able to direct
that many moving parts and actors.
Cost $107,000,000 to make and I can see where it went.
Not for everyone, but I'm glad I saw it on the big screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran