Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"Back to the Future 3." Great Scott!

The first “Back to the Future” started my quest for my Schwinn Phantom that I own as a kid.

By the time “Back to the Future II” was in theaters...I found one & still enjoy the ride whenever the weather permits it !

ngan91.png

Have a Nice & Safe 4th ! :cool:

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I recently watched three Japanese war films made during WW2 around 1943/44. JUBILATION STREET, THE LIVING MAGOROKU and ARMY from the recently released KINOSH.ITA WORLD WAR II DVD set. All excellent films and quite a revelation. ARMY would have be one of the most interesting war themed films I have seen for a long time. Heavy on honour and tradition, and light on jingoism and propaganda. Two more in the set to watch.

AdeeC, have you checked out comments earlier in the thread by BigJ regarding WW2 Japanese films? He brings quite a bit of insight to that era.

edit: Wow, I just re-read the thread; I missed quite a bit, so never mind this post...

Last edited:

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Wife vs. Secretary (1936) with Gable, Harlow, and Loy. Real fun stuff: opulent people goof up their lives with misunderstandings about love and relationships. Snappy dialogue, amazing sets, and Hollywood at the peak of its game cranking out the dream product.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Underworld - Evolution" I never saw this thing fully through... I rented it once and fell asleep during it. I watched it tonight on Netflix and must say... I enjoyed it more'n I thought I would. I actually found myself wanting another installment. It was a hoot and a howl! Vampire's, werewolves etc... just needed a mad scientist and Frankenstein and we'd a had a full house!

Worf

Big J

Call Me a Cab
"Underworld - Evolution" I never saw this thing fully through... I rented it once and fell asleep during it. I watched it tonight on Netflix and must say... I enjoyed it more'n I thought I would. I actually found myself wanting another installment. It was a hoot and a howl! Vampire's, werewolves etc... just needed a mad scientist and Frankenstein and we'd a had a full house!

Worf

My wife loves those movies- its all the black rubber and leather.

basbol13

A-List Customer
Welcome..... If you haven't seen The Dogs of War (1980) starring Christopher Walken (I'm a big fan of his) and Tom Berenger. In the film mercenary James Shannon (C W), on a reconnaissance job to the African nation of Zangaro, is tortured and deported. He returns to lead a coup. It's a decent movie to catch a little dated but still very entertaining. If you're into weapons, they show a Manville 25mm Projectile Launcher which is sort of the grand daddy to the modern "street sweeper" the AA12.

basbol13

A-List Customer
My wife loves those movies- its all the black rubber and leather.

If you like them scary and funny watch The Fearless Vampire Killers ( 1967). It's a Roman Polanski flick starring RP and Sharon Tate. What's interesting and haunting about this film is Roman Polanski fell in love and married co-star Sharon Tate not long after filming in 1968. Sharon got pregnant when she was 8 and 1/2 months along was murdered by the Charles Manson Family on August 9, 1969. That date is considered "The Day the Hip-e Movement died". Still, even with the sadness of these post production events it's still enjoyable to watch. (I had to use hip-e instead of hi**ie because for some reason the site kept censoring the word)

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Welcome..... If you haven't seen The Dogs of War (1980) starring Christopher Walken (I'm a big fan of his) and Tom Berenger. In the film mercenary James Shannon (C W), on a reconnaissance job to the African nation of Zangaro, is tortured and deported. He returns to lead a coup. It's a decent movie to catch a little dated but still very entertaining. If you're into weapons, they show a Manville 25mm Projectile Launcher which is sort of the grand daddy to the modern "street sweeper" the AA12.

Dogs of War is a great movie, and shows exactly why Africa was a mess for so long ( or maybe 'how', not 'why'). Like The Wild Geese (which is terribly over-sentimental) it shows how the UK (and others) were destabilizing former colonies for access to resources. Again, I'd reccomend the Curtis documentary The Mayfair Set for the unbelievable true story of what was going on.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
If you like them scary and funny watch The Fearless Vampire Killers ( 1967). It's a Roman Polanski flick starring RP and Sharon Tate. What's interesting and haunting about this film is Roman Polanski fell in love and married co-star Sharon Tate not long after filming in 1968. Sharon got pregnant when she was 8 and 1/2 months along was murdered by the Charles Manson Family on August 9, 1969. That date is considered "The Day the Hip Movement died". Still, even with the sadness of these post production events it's still enjoyable to watch.

lol
I love that film! The old guy is so funny! We watch that film every Christmas Eve, late at night after the kids have gone to bed. It makes me laugh so much.
But the story around the film is so sad. Whatever you may think of Polanski, having your pregnant wife murdered by the Manson family psychos is a hell of a thing to come to terms with. How can anyone have misinterpreted Helter Skelter so badly and NOT be instantly recognizable as a nutter is beyond me (@_@)
Polanski made a really good psychological thriller/horror about a woman living in an apartment, but I can't remember the name.

"The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" (1958)

I'm thankful they have access to this sort of stuff, but I feel kinda bad that my kids have to see it on the DVD instead of at the drive-in. This is (was) classic $5 a carload midnight special material.

Wife vs. Secretary (1936) with Gable, Harlow, and Loy. Real fun stuff: opulent people goof up their lives with misunderstandings about love and relationships. Snappy dialogue, amazing sets, and Hollywood at the peak of its game cranking out the dream product.

"Wife vs. Secretary" is a fun movie that works more because of the stars than the story. I watched "Success at Any Price" yesterday, a 1934 pre-code about a young poor couple that gets torn apart as the man starts to rapidly climb the corporate ladder and his values change.

While not a great movie, it is a wonderful window into the world before the code was enforce. Pre-marital sex, marital affairs, dirty business deals, marriage for money - all things we know are part of the human condition - occur in this 1934 movie and the people involved aren't always "punished" as they would be once the code was enforced. It is the adult way these things are discussed and accepted as part of life that make these movies so fresh and mature versus the movies that came right after the code was enforced.

And while all these things were in the movies, they weren't thrown in your face gratuitously the way they are now. Yes, you'll get an occasional underwear shot, but most of the sex is implied or discuss, but not shown. The balance is much better than today - which is all visual and aggressive - or when the code was enforced - which was unnatural and too saccharine.

I can enjoy a movie like "Wife vs. Secretary" very much, but when I catch a pre-code, I always feel bad for awhile about the movies that came right after the code was enforced because I always think about how much better those movies would have been if we hadn't boxed ourselves in with the code.

And I'll make a plug for what I consider one of the best made-during-the-code-but-is-really-a-pre-code movie (somehow a few seemed to sneak by the censors) - "In Name Only." Cary Grant and Carol Lombard carry on an affair while Grant's wife, Kay Francis, is revealed to be conniving. There's more going on - and the acting is wonderful - but what most amazes me is how "pre-code" this movie feels despite being made in the period when the code was being enforced.

Neph

New in Town
Clown, a silly movie where a man dons a clown suit that ends up being the skin of an old demon.

It's not bad per se and the director is smart enough not to take the concept that seriously but it still feels like it finished with a whimper, first 2/3ds of the movie are definitely the better.

basbol13

A-List Customer
Dogs of War is a great movie, and shows exactly why Africa was a mess for so long ( or maybe 'how', not 'why'). Like The Wild Geese (which is terribly over-sentimental) it shows how the UK (and others) were destabilizing former colonies for access to resources. Again, I'd reccomend the Curtis documentary The Mayfair Set for the unbelievable true story of what was going on.

You got that right, due to European intervention, a good percentage of Africa's problems still persist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR