Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On the big screen: I saw Dark City with no sound at the goth club, and some episodes of The Phantom Creeps. I love that tiki-faced robot.
At home: before that I watched In a Lonely Place. I'd seen it once, remembered only two scenes but also that I liked it, and since then I've read the excellent book by Dorothy B. Hughes. Superb movie. I like Bogart, which is why I like Bugs Bunny.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Great Debaters

It was alright. Frankly, a movie about debating should have, well, more debating in it. With a modern audience what does not know much about this type of 'sport', I would have been lush just to hear their conversations and preparations on the art of debating.

It had too many stories going on, and focused way too much on the personal lives of theses characters. With all that said, is STILL felt superficial.

The most powerful scene to me was when the family hit a pig with their car (stupid kids), and this scholared professor, was made to feel like less than a man in front of his wife and children by these two rural hicks. THAT was profound.

It had its cliches; the silly love triangle of the only woman ever to be on the debate team, and altho she wants to be taken seriously as a formidable equal, she gets romantically involved with one on her team. Snore.....

The clothing was cool, and the women's day dresses were great, but I LOVED the set dressings. It was understated, but not "Hey this is a movie! We got everything from the mid 1930s we could find to put in it!" Sparse, efficient and deliberate, very nicely done.

There was a severe shortage of hats, and product placement in the movie. That was kind of disappointing. A lot of it reminded me of my Granny's house and a lot of the clothes were a few years behind the times, which would have been the case. Also seeing the young boys in suits a bit too big for them (because they would grow into them) was a great touch.

What killed the film was the editing. It was terrible, absolutely atrocious. Distracting, convoluted and made it hard to watch. The direction was nothing special, but the editing did nothing for it.

LD

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Touchez pas au grisbi

I just adore this movie and have seen it a dozen times at least, but I can't stop watching it. Lovely clothes, to die for apartments, great cars, and wonderful looking, pre-plastic men and women. I love these French actors who are given the space to act with their faces as much as they do with the dialogue. I think I gain 2-4 lbs each time I see it because they make drinking wine and eating biscuits slathered with cheese look so good and practical. Audience participation.

The Man With the Golden Arm
I've borrowed this many times but never got around to watching it. I just bought a bunch of the new Sinatra stamps so I thought I'd give it another try. I think I was put off at first by the play-like pacing and sets, but it won me over in the end.

...I'm starting to wonder how many films I love just for the apartments...

Bugsy

One Too Many
From 1950

I just finished watching The Key to the City with Clark Gable and Loretta Young. Fun film in the vein of the madcap romances of the 30's. Ladies, you'll fall in love with Young's wardrobe--very vintage and very elegant. Be sure you slow down the video during the fight scenes and take a look at Gable's stunt double who looks nothing like him.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lars and the Real Girl

My new favorite movie.

I now have a new girl crush

larsandtherealgirlpremiere2.jpg

:rolleyes:

LD

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
Lars and the Real Girl

My new favorite movie.

I now have a new girl crush

larsandtherealgirlpremiere2.jpg

:rolleyes:

LD

You've got to rent Married Life LD, she's wonderful in it (as usual) and she has a great wardrobe to boot--there's a pair of pants she wears in one scene that I utterly covet. You'll know them when you see them.

A.R. McVintage

imoldfashioned said:
You've got to rent Married Life LD, she's wonderful in it (as usual) and she has a great wardrobe to boot--there's a pair of pants she wears in one scene that I utterly covet. You'll know them when you see them.

She should also see Good Night, and Good Luck and Far From Heaven both of which feature Patricia Clarkson.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Last night I watched The Lady is Willing with Marlene Dietrich. Amazing clothes for almost every single character. The mens coats were so fitted in the waist and had gigantic shoulder pads, they looked almost feminine compared to todays coats.

limetree

New in Town
A serious day with The Pianist followed by The Omega Man... although I'll confess that I found Omega Man slightly ridiculous (I'm only 21, CGI has ruined me) I'm going to persevere and get Soylent Green out next.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Orphanage.

An interesting but horribly paced 'gothic thriller'. There are some plot points that I just didnt get, but there are some chilling scenes in it. The one where Laura begins to play a sort of freeze tag with the ghosts *shutter*

LD

K

kpreed

Lady Day said:
The Great Debaters

It was alright. Frankly, a movie about debating should have, well, more debating in it. With a modern audience what does not know much about this type of 'sport', I would have been lush just to hear their conversations and preparations on the art of debating.

It had too many stories going on, and focused way too much on the personal lives of theses characters. With all that said, is STILL felt superficial.

The most powerful scene to me was when the family hit a pig with their car (stupid kids), and this scholared professor, was made to feel like less than a man in front of his wife and children by these two rural hicks. THAT was profound.

It had its cliches; the silly love triangle of the only woman ever to be on the debate team, and altho she wants to be taken seriously as a formidable equal, she gets romantically involved with one on her team. Snore.....

The clothing was cool, and the women's day dresses were great, but I LOVED the set dressings. It was understated, but not "Hey this is a movie! We got everything from the mid 1930s we could find to put in it!" Sparse, efficient and deliberate, very nicely done.

There was a severe shortage of hats, and product placement in the movie. That was kind of disappointing. A lot of it reminded me of my Granny's house and a lot of the clothes were a few years behind the times, which would have been the case. Also seeing the young boys in suits a bit too big for them (because they would grow into them) was a great touch.

What killed the film was the editing. It was terrible, absolutely atrocious. Distracting, convoluted and made it hard to watch. The direction was nothing special, but the editing did nothing for it.

LD
I agree with all of this.

zaika

One Too Many
the italian job (the newer one). very entertaining.

the interpreter. i remember reading bad reviews about this one...but i found it interesting, if not a little over the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran