Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Watched "Three Comrades," a 1938 movie set in Germany post WWI where three former pilots (Robert Young, Robert Taylor, and Franchot Tone) try to rebuild their lives after the war - they own a garage and do repairs and taxi service. Taylor meets and falls in love with Maragaret Sullavan - a destitute former aristrocrat - only to find out after marrying her that she has Tuberculosis. All three men are supportive and try to raise money for her necessary trip to the sanitarium.

This all rolls out slowly while political and social events of Germany in the '20s come in and out of the story, but never fully take over as it remains, basically, a love story. The movie works if you are in the mood for an, overall, slow, nicely filmed, love story that does adumbrate the coming political violence that German eventually experienced. I like all the actors, was in the mood for a not challenging film and enjoyed it, but recognize its limitations. A much better movie that covers some of the same material and is set about a decade later in a Germany like state is "Mortal Storm,' one of my favorite not-famous movies.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
A Foreign Affair (1948) Marlene Dietrich, Jean Arthur and John Lund. Directed by Billy Wilder.

I absolutely enjoyed it! It's a romantic comedy, so I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I really did.

It's been said here, before, but Jean Arthur really aged slowly. She is 48 in this film and looks, at least, 10 years younger. She looked great! Of course, Marlene Dietrich is great and sexy in this, as well (as you would expect).

- Ian

A Foreign Affair (1948) Marlene Dietrich, Jean Arthur and John Lund. Directed by Billy Wilder.

I absolutely enjoyed it! It's a romantic comedy, so I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I really did.

It's been said here, before, but Jean Arthur really aged slowly. She is 48 in this film and looks, at least, 10 years younger. She looked great! Of course, Marlene Dietrich is great and sexy in this, as well (as you would expect).

- Ian

And Dietrich is 47 in the movie and aging quite well also, especially considering (based on her movies and her voice) the 1000+ cigarettes she smoked a day.

While both are engaging actresses and attractive women, you couldn't find two more opposite women. Jean Arthur seems like she would be a hoot to spend time with - funny, smart, upbeat / Dietrich, I would bet, would be a tough cookie, dark, moody, but also intellectually engaging - "a hoot" is not a description I bet ever applied to her though.

I like the actresses more than the movie if memory serves as, while it was fun, it was a bit uneven and slapstick in parts (which almost never works for me). And the male lead - John Lund - was out acted by his female leads - he didn't have the presence to hold his own with them.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
And Dietrich is 47 in the movie and aging quite well also, especially considering (based on her movies and her voice) the 1000+ cigarettes she smoked a day.

While both are engaging actresses and attractive women, you couldn't find two more opposite women. Jean Arthur seems like she would be a hoot to spend time with - funny, smart, upbeat / Dietrich, I would bet, would be a tough cookie, dark, moody, but also intellectually engaging - "a hoot" is not a description I bet ever applied to her though.

I like the actresses more than the movie if memory serves as, while it was fun, it was a bit uneven and slapstick in parts (which almost never works for me). And the male lead - John Lund - was out acted by his female leads - he didn't have the presence to hold his own with them.

Yes, John Lund isn't quite the leading actor who one would expect to the cast with these two powerhouses. However, I thought that he did, at least, a serviceable job. Apparently, he's most known for that role.

It's a good movie, to be sure, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Typically, it isn't mine. However, I was pleasantly surprised, as I mentioned, previously. Maybe, it was just Jean Arthur charming me through the screen that has skewed my point of view.

- Ian

cm289

One of the Regulars
I enjoyed it a lot. I need to find The Two Jakes now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently watching Thunderball. I'm revisiting the Bond classics in preparation for the SPECTRE premiere in London next month!

That's the transition Bond movie - you can still feel some of the simpler, more Bond-of-the-books in the movie, but you can also feel the Bond-as-action-adventure movie taking hold.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
That's the transition Bond movie - you can still feel some of the simpler, more Bond-of-the-books in the movie, but you can also feel the Bond-as-action-adventure movie taking hold.

Yep, I agree.

In other James Bond news, Tom Hardy is supposedly being floated around as the next Bond. I could live with that. He's terrific.

Yep, I agree.

In other James Bond news, Tom Hardy is supposedly being floated around as the next Bond. I could live with that. He's terrific.

Just looked him up on IMDB and I've manage to miss just about every movie / TV show he's done. But he seems about the right age and is handsome but not a pretty boy (one Roger Moore Bond is enough). How close are they to choosing / whom else are they considering?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I have no idea how close they are to choosing a new one, but I do know that Daniel Craig said he's done playing Bond (at least according to one interview I read).

Tom Hardy has the necessary grit to play the role. I saw him in "Warrior" (an excellent, underrated movie, IMO), and quite a few other movies. Hugh Jackman? No, no, no! I like him, but he's Wolverine and not Bond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24