Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Creature from the Black Lagoon
The Mask of Fu Manchu
Shutter Island

Ok so I didn't read the book...I was about to and was even given the book. Problem is, I always feel like the movie is ruined when I read the book first.

I was about to hit the Changling... But I've been dealing with nutcases all night and need a laugh. So I might go with Leatherheads instead???

Tomorrow might be Hope and Crosby...work has been tough

Edward

Bartender
Last weekend I watched the film version of one of my favourite kids' TV shows, The Magic Roundabout. The CGI animation loses much of the charm of the puppets in the original, however, the characterisation is very good (much truer to the originals than, say, the Garfield films), and the story sustains itself over the feature length duration (bearing in mind the original episodes were all sub five minutes) much, much better than I had anticipated. Very, very funny, too.

If I can find the pennies, I might take myself to the cinema this weekend - I want to see Inception and The A Team. I hear Toy Story 3[i/] is also worth a perusal.

A couple of nights ago, I chanced across The Mummy on television. I'm sure I have seen it on TV since first viewing it in the Camden Town Odeon in 1999, but it was fun to revisit. Far superior to the sequels (which I nevertheless enjoyed, the third one moreso than the second, given absence of Annoying Precocious Child), a great romp. I stand by my original assessment that had they been making Indiana Jones films in the 90s, they would have been much like The Mummy. Tonight, I may well slip in the Roger Rabbit DVD I picked up for buttons in Sainsbury's last week.... not seen that one for years.

Lady Day said:
No, not really. Its not very good, but I really appreciate Romero for how he uses his characters. He always has a strong woman lead and a person of color in an authoritative position in his films.

One of the things I found most interesting was comparing Romero's original Night of the Living Dead with the Romero-produced, 1990 remake directed by Tom Savini. Same basic story, but subtle little differences that comment on different aspects of society - for example, it's no longer the black guy that is the lone survivor at the end, but the Strong Woman.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I watched Monster's Inc with my son, aged ten, the night before he went away to stay with my parents in France a week ago, that's our favourite family film for the two of us to watch together. Totally genius. (Right i'm going to go and sniff his pillow again now, missing him dreadfully)!

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I watched Michael Clayton last night. Definitely an above-average legal thriller, at least in part because the legal angles are not too unbelievable (as they are in most legal movies and TV series). The directorial style is reminiscent of Alan J. Pakula at his paranoid best (All the President's Men, The Parallax View, Klute).

Edward

Bartender
Today I watched three films on television. First was the old Chevy Chase Memoirs of an Invisible Man. I love the scene in which he first appears with his head bandaged; his entire outfit is a recreation of one sported by Claude Raines in The Invisible Man. Later I saw, for the first time, the Hollywood take on the siege of Troy, Troy. A fun romp, though somewhat disappointed at their handling of the Achillies Heel. Lastly was Zeppelin, starring a young Michael Yorke. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068014/

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I watched The Usual Suspects tonight, the first time since seeing it in the theatre on its release. 15 years provides just enough memory loss to make it a fresh viewing, with memories enough to recall why I enjoyed it so much the first time.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Tonight was the second annual It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World get together. About eleven grown ups and some kids. Started off with IAMMMMW trivia, then the first half. At intermission, we all made Old Fashioneds, then watched the second half.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I finally saw the whole of the Peter Jackson "King Kong". I'd seen bits of it, but switched channels because I wanted to see it from the beginning. Finally did yesterday. Whew! I was glad I was home and could get up to stretch my legs durinig the commercials.
Interesting how he expanded and changed the basic story. I thought he could have easily eliminated about 45 minutes worth of monster attacks.
Jack Black's reading of the classic "Beauty killed the beast" line was pretty lame compared to the original. but other than that I thought he was very good.
I also found it very hard to believe that two people would just stand there and embrace at the top of the Empire State Building when it was all over. I'd be scrambling down that ladder like a scared monkey!

Panache

A-List Customer
Ridley Scot's The Duellists

A really in interesting movie about Hussars in Napoleon's Army

It was based on a Joseph Conrad short story and Conrad based the it on a real tale of two officers who fought multiple duels with each other over the years

Well worth checking out if you haven't seen it

Cheers

Jamie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran