Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
"Just Go With It," the new Jennifer Aniston/Nicole Kidman movie. (I think somebody named Adam Sandler is in it too.) It's a remake, a loose one I expect, of "Cactus Flower" from 1969, with Walter Matthau, Ingrid Bergman, and Goldie Hawn.

It's a farce in the good old style. Just when you are positive the characters can't keep up the charade they're in, along comes a complication that motivates them to keep it up. It's actually quite funny.

Plus, any film with Jennifer and Nicole doing a hula dance competition is worth seeing at least once!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I love a bad movie just like the next guy, but I started to watch The Driller Killer (1979) and had to turn it off after 20 minutes because it annoyed me. I might pick up where I left off, though, just to say i saw it.

Instead, I watched Rock, Rock, Rock! (1956) with Tuesday Weld and a plethora of early rock n roll stars. It had a cute sugary-sweet plot about a gal who needs a dress for a school rock n roll dance and is forced to learn the hard way about saving and spending money. The acting was bad, but good bad! The movie was so cute I didn't even notice it most of the time.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Blues in the Night (1941)
Priscilla Lane, Richard Whorf, Betty Field, Lloyd Nolan, Jack Carson, Elia Kazan, Wallace Ford and Billy Halop
in a swinging little picture with a dash of noir.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Gus Van Sandt's thinly-veiled Kurt Cobain exploitation flick, Last Days. I've seen the first half hour several times, but never made it to the end (always on late, always fallen asleep). Managed it all last night, and can confirm that right to the end it is as tedious as the first half hour. Utterly lacking in narrative structure, little approaching dialogue, nil character development. It's mostly two hours of a man who looks a bit like Kurt Cobain mumbling. A traditional biopic would have been considerably more interesting. I'm glad I did not pay to watch this in the cinema!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I finally saw Inglorius Basterds on a library DVD.

I didn't hate it as much as I have all previous Tarantino films, but I'm not convinced that its comic-book recasting of WWII as deconstructed movie cliches serves much of a purpose. It did have a fascinating villain and a typically interesting Brad Pitt performance, though the whole Jewish-heroine-getting-revenge-for-her-family thing didn't work for me: Paul Verhoven's Black Book (another film I didn't much like) did that trope far better.

Not bad as a silly fantasy on WWII themes, but I'm sorry: I obviously still don't get Tarantino's alleged brilliance.

Derek WC

Banned
Watched Grace Card, before it's even out in theaters, by winning tickets at the Fish, for a special promotion of The Lord.

Wonderful film! I hope you all see it, perfectly safe for the kiddos, except for some reference to drugs and a cop shooting somebody.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Saw a Chinatown and L.A. Confidential double feature at the Castro Theater yesterday. I'd seen both these films many times, but never on the big screen. You really can't beat the movie palace experience, it was well worth braving the wet city streets.

Last edited:

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
I saw "On the Beach" (1959) on TCM last weekend.

An interesting film even it's not the greatest I've ever seen. There are a few things in it that just don't quite make sense but both Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner played good roles.

I imagine at the time it had a much bigger impact than it has today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner