Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

DavidJones

One of the Regulars
Finished watching the Russian movie "9th Company" That last stand style hilltop battle at the end was terrific.

cw3pa

A-List Customer
We just finished watching "Damn Yankees" on DVD. Gwen Verdon was great as Lola. What ever Lola wants, Lola gets. Ray Walston as Mr. Applegate & Tab Hunter as Joe Hardy.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Searching for Sugar Man" - A - And I don't give out A's very often. Great film, one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. It well deserved the Oscar it received this year. As a musician I found it especially telling... Where'd all the money go?

Worf

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The Petrified Forest (CinemaScope)

Watching this great classic on YouTube.

You cannot tell by the screen shot I just took.
But watching this in person the images are "sharp" !
I'm not a fan of "colorization" but I like the sepia tone .
Like looking at old vintage photos. :eusa_clap

2mhver9.jpg

Watched the new Criterion Collection version of "The Uninvited" last night. My favorite Ghost movie of all time as the ghost is almost a Hitchcock Mcguffin, existing only to move the plot along so that we can see how interesting characters react to situations. I've seen this film at least ten times over the last twenty plus years and each time I enjoy something new about it. This time I paid attention to the clothes (Ray Milland and Alan Napier wear some incredible Golden Era suits, shirts, ties, sport coats, etc.) and the subtle performance by Gail Russell. Others times I have enjoyed the architecture, the time-travel aspect of visiting 1940s England (great village scenes, wonderful train station scene) or the incredible shots of the English coast.

That feeling of "this isn't holding my interest" can pop up from time to time even in movies that I love . It's a matter of timing, what else is on your mind, your mood, etc. - but it is almost weird as, most of the time, classic movies are an oasis from all those things.

Also, sometimes it's not until the second or third time that I see a movie, even one that is a classic, that I "get it." It was only the third time that I saw "Citizen Kane" that it captured my attention and spirt - and now I love it whenever it is on. Sometimes I think this has to do with expectations as I went into "Citizen Kane" knowing it was "the greatest movie of all time" and was disappointed, but by the third time, I had no expectations as I hadn't enjoyed it before, that I sat back, took it in anew and was blown away. Even "Casablanca" I only liked the first time, but fell absolutely in love with it after several viewing.

There might be a new thread in this: Great Movies that I only Fell in Love with after Several Viewings

What do you think?

Exactly how I felt the first two times watching The Third Man. By the third viewing, I meant to change the channel but found myself caught up and enjoying it.
:D

Exactly how I felt the first two times watching The Third Man. By the third viewing, I meant to change the channel but found myself caught up and enjoying it.
:D

Orson Well's entry in that movie is the greatest entry of a male character in any movie that I've ever scene. The blinking light bringing his archly sinister visage in and out of view is pitch perfect to where one is at in the movie at that time. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Like you, it took me a few viewings to fully appreciate it.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
A Piece of The Action with Bill Cosby and Sidney Poitier, and James Earl Jones (the year he did the voice of Darth Vader).
A few other memorable character actors as well, seen in many 70's sitcoms and dramas.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
A Piece of The Action with Bill Cosby and Sidney Poitier, and James Earl Jones (the year he did the voice of Darth Vader).
A few other memorable character actors as well, seen in many 70's sitcoms and dramas.

Wow are you in "Blaxploitation" mode or what? Not complainin' just wondering. You taking in a LOT of movies I did my best to AVOID when they came out... Hell I've never even seen "Shaft" and I MET Gordon Parks and talked to him for about a half hour while waiting for a train!

Worf

Bootney Farnesworth? I had a friend that called me that and never knew what the hell he was talking about till years later!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I actually have quite a collection.
I like them for the music, the clothing, the time period of course, and the stories (some of them).
Unlike most people, I KNOW not all Blaxploitation films are like Blackenstein with bad editing, and horrible costumes.
Many have a good story, incredible scores, and styles I remember as a kid.
Of course James has an aversion to these styles, but I assume he's ashamed of his Leisure Suit collection, in the back of the closet. :D
Yes some of them are so incredible (the stories) that they are funny, but not all of them.
Okay Willie Dynamite for example, has some bad clothing. Want an example?
His fur coats, one of which is Chinchilla with red and white, and a hat to match.
Had the colors run the other direction, it wouldn't have been so bad, but they were horizontal, making him look like a big candy
cane walking down the sidewalk. :D
Of those men in films during this time, one of the most talented, although not as famous as an actor, is Max Julien.
Producer, writer, and artist.
His movie, as an actor of course, was The Mack. Wasn't bad....
But he wrote both Cleopatra Jones movies, and one I haven't seen yet "Thomasine and Bushrod."
And being a fan of the cars from that time period, I enjoy seeing those too.
Not really an Eldorado fan, but they are the choice car for these movies, except the Mark III in Trouble Man, and the Corvette in Cleopatra Jones.

Tonight it's A Touch of Satan, the MST3K version. Yes, another 70's movie, but Mike and the "bots" are hitting on all cylinders in this movie, and it's a riot. :eusa_clap

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
So you were a man of leisure, but you didn't need a suit for it? :D
You still are a man of leisure, from what I've read.

Broderick Crawford in Down Three Dark Streets.
I've seen 2 cars already, that I drove in the L.A. Noire video game. ;)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wow are you in "Blaxploitation" mode or what? Not complainin' just wondering. You taking in a LOT of movies I did my best to AVOID when they came out... Hell I've never even seen "Shaft" and I MET Gordon Parks and talked to him for about a half hour while waiting for a train!

Worf

Bootney Farnesworth? I had a friend that called me that and never knew what the hell he was talking about till years later!

Your right, they were terrible Worf! I thought, Come Back Charleston Blue was good, then I found a trailer for it on the net. Talk about every stereo type in the book, and that was less then five minutes! Now that I think about it, just watch the very end, when the name sake drives up in his, I believe, 32 blue Lincoln. That sean has some class!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot