Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Feraud

Bartender
I agree, he is underappreciated. I looked for The Set-up today to purchase on TCM but was unable to find it. Bad Day at Black Rock is a movie I appreciate and watch every couple of years. At first it was moresofor Spencer Tracy's performance but not anymore, the whole cast is great.
:D
The Set-Up is available in one of the film noir packages. It is definitely worth adding to your film library.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Star Trek - Heart of Darkness" - Solid B - Boy they really fooled me on this one. I'd not read anything on the movie so I had no spoilers to ruin the twist! They completely had me flummoxed with this one. This new "alternative timeline" is interesting and amazing and I must say... I'm diggin' it. If Mr. Abrams does half as good a job with other franchises he'll be working for decades... Finally someone who can tell a story! Great acting... beautiful ensigns with ahem... assets and slam-bang action to boot. I was totally impressed.

Worf

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Finished watching Christopher Lee and Patrick McNee as Holmes and Watson in long and somewhat disappointing film called Sherlock Holmes & the Leading Lady. Actually it's not bad, but it could have been much more than it was. Ironically, the best parts where when the two lead actors were not on screen together (as their characters go on separate investigations for a 20 minute period). There was a second movie, called Incident at Victoria Falls which I'm halfway through right now. It's better, although mostly because the yummy Jenny Seagrover is in the first half.
Last night I finished the Incident at Victoria Falls and it's much better than the first movie and is generally satisfying. I recommend it to Holmes fans only, however, and then only if you don't have to pay to see it.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Touchofevil said:
Feraud said:
This is a great film! I'm thrilled TCM is doing a day of Robert Ryan. Ryan is an under appreciated actor who deserves to be remembered as much as guys like Bogey, Cagney, etc.
I agree, he is underappreciated.
Agreed about Ryan, and you can throw in Burt Lancaster too.

A few days ago I watched "Patterns" (recorded from TCM): A Rod Serling-written movie about a senior leadership power struggle and dictatorial leader at a large NYC-based conglomerate. The movie echoes "Executive Suite" in many ways - (1) a new executive is recruited in from outside the firm who can see the disfunction and insularity at the firm that the lifers don't fully see anymore and (2) a singularly focused, hard-driving and dictatorial leader creates success but paranoia in his management team - but with a Twilight Zone bent and harder edge (the newbie's wife is a climber in "Patterns" and a nurturer in "Executive Suite").

I've always considered "Executive Suite" underrated as it takes a balanced look at business - yes, there can be ugly politics, but there can also be impressive, honest businessmen driven to achieve something - excellence and value - beyond their own remuneration - in an engaging way and with top-notch stars. I'll have to see "Patterns" again before forming a more permanent opinion. I enjoyed it; appreciate what it is trying to do; but despite some powerful moments, it felt flat in many ways that "Executive Suite" does not - maybe a second watching will help.

Last point - I was surprised I had never seen or even heard of this movie before - is it well known? Beside Rod Serling writing it, it has Van Heflin as its star, i.e., it wasn't a B movie at the time.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It was actually a theatrical remake of a live TV drama that had aired a year earlier. Rod Serling was already becoming famous for his teleplays at the time (at least to knowledgeable fans of TV drama and the critics), but he was not yet the household name that he'd become after Twilight Zone aired for a while.

Is it well known? Well, to Serling fans it's pretty well known. (Personally, having grown up watching TZ - starting with my parents during its last two seasons of original airing - and having read two biographies of Serling, I've known about it forever.) But I doubt that the "general public" even knows about the much-better-known "Executive Suite" nowadays - the fifties is seriously ancient history to today's "mainstream audience" (if such a thing even exists anymore!)

Saw The Book Thief tonight. Just a fantastic movie. Beautifully shot and the acting and story were spot-on. A truly great film and a unique story from the WWII era.
Recommended for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot