Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

sola fide

One of the Regulars
The Greatest Show On Earth via netflix. Many fedoras and Charleston Heston sporting a nice leather. I must admit that I am discovering the value of the older movies 50s and earlier are soooo much better than 99% of what is being called entertainment(which is another topic). I only recently watched Charlie Chaplin in The Kid and Modern Times and was blown away. I watched Buster Keaton in the General, awesome flick. I never thought I could enjoy silent movies until I saw The Artist and realized how good a movie can be without special effects. I have always been a fan of the Bowery Boys.
Mike A

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Cass Timberlane (1947) with Spencer Tracy, Lana Turner, and Zachary Scott. Scott seems to play the same oily, weaselly, hollow at the center weakling in most of his films. Tracy is Tracy and Turner gets to actually show a character's progression.

Cass Timberlane (1947) with Spencer Tracy, Lana Turner, and Zachary Scott. Scott seems to play the same oily, weaselly, hollow at the center weakling in most of his films. Tracy is Tracy and Turner gets to actually show a character's progression.

Agreed on Scott (not sure if I think his looks just naturally fit that role, or because he played that type of character so often, those are the looks I came to associate with that type of person). And I thought "Cass Timberlane" just never got going - very good actors, but they movie never kicked into gear.

Last edited:
"Lady Killer" with James Cagney. A decent pre-code half gangster / half comedy movie (it has echoes of Edward G. Robinson's "The Little Giant"). The only real two reason to watch it are for all the time-travel fun (many cars, city scenes, clothes and houses of the period) and Cagney - not yet fully himself, but the talent is there.

cigar joe

New in Town
I've been on a film noir/neo noir kick for the last coupe of years I've recently watched:

The Dark Corner (1946) Noir, New York Noir and PI Noir

I’ve reassessed The Dark Corner over the last couple of weeks. Most reviewers recognize this as just a good Film Noir and then go on to dismiss two of the leads, Mark Stevens and Lucille Ball, as being lightweights in their respective roles, I think their judgment is being jaded by the hard boiled performances of the likes of Bogart, Powell, Mitchum, Montgomery, and Meeker as tough PI’s and on the flip side by all the slinky sultry Femme Fatales that proved to be their banes. The critics are being way too harsh.

Directed masterfully by Henry Hathaway, written by New York City born screenwriters Jay Dratler and Bernard C. Shoenfield and based on a story by Leo Rosten. The film stars Lucille Ball, Clifton Webb, William Bendix, Mark Stevens, Cathy Downs and Kurt Kreguer.

This is Noir, New York Noir and PI Noir distilled to its essence. Under the artistry of director of photography Joe MacDonald (Street With No Name, Call Northside 777, Pickup on South Street) visually this film is stunning, we see contrasts of deep blacks with sharp highlights that evoke the chiaroscuro of crime scene photography and graphic novels, diagonals stabbing into the frame, single source lighting throwing shadows that advance the story, tendrils of omnipresent cigarette smoke clouding atmosphere.

If this 20th Century Fox film had starred say Dana Andrews, or Tyrone Power as Gault, and Gene Tierney or Linda Darnell as Kathleen it would be up there unquestionably with all better known the top shelf films noir.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Kiss the Bride Goodbye (1944)

Not very good however, it includes a 15 year old Jean Simmons in one of her earliest screen roles. Her lines are all comic and she handles them very well.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Pierrot le Fou.
Classic Jean Paul Belmondo, Anna Karina French New Wave. A confusing film? Of course, it's French New Wave!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner