Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Brookyn - a lovely film. Great acting, on-target fifties look, simply gorgeous photography. A very relatable tale of going to a new world and finding your place, and all the fear and growth it entails.

I agree, rented it last winter and thought it was marvelous. Get's a lot right in the period, while in NY... can't say anything about post war Ireland. Well made film.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Indignation" is based on a Phillip Roth novel (name sounded familiar and, then, when you brought up the Jewish theme - which is in most Roth books - I thought it was him and checked). While I haven't read this one, I've read a few of his novels as they tend to get a lot of praise. He's not really my cup of tea, but can't deny the man can write and has a mind full of thoughts about a lot of things. Based on your comments, I just added the movie to my Netflix queue.

Yeah I knew it was based on a Roth novel as puddin' kept reminding me every 5 minutes or so before going in. His "Jewishness" is not central to this tale however, it's more his "seriousness" that drives the drama. And that's drama with a capital "D".

Worf

"The Choice," which for the first three-quarters is a rom-com that's pretty light on the com part and heavy on the rom, but it works okay in a formulaic, not challenging way. Then, the movie takes a dark, depressing turn that pushes the entire story further into the unbelievable.

As that second phase stretched on, it all but lost me. I'll accept a silly romance story with cute people and fake obstacles to overcome that we all know they'll overcome, but I don't need to be tugged out of that comfy world of nonsense into an overwrought one of ridiculous life-and-death morality decisions that are suppose to expose a deep well of emotion and morality in characters who barely register on the three-dimensional meter for most of the movie.

Anyway, the scenery along, what I think is, the Carolina's coast is gorgeous. But not enough to overcome the unnecessary body blow the movie delivers deep in.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Toy Story 2 -

This one was made at Pixar's awkward stage when they were unsure of where they wanted to go with movies, whether they wanted their animation to be cartoonish or photorealistic. Thus, the movie blends a sense of both making for an odd animation style where some objects are incredibly detailed and realistic and others are plain and cartoony. I suppose that may have to do with the in-production decisions made about the movie, where it was initially planned to make it only a direct-to-video sequel like "The Return of Jafar". Despite awkward animation, the movie makes a poignant statement on toy collecting. As a toy collector myself, I feel like I am included in that statement. That toys are meant to be enjoyed and loved, not left to become dusty on a shelf, or forgotten in a closet.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Sound Barrier (1952) It was called Breaking The Sound Barrier in Great Britain! British audiences actually thought it was true, never mind that little orange plane over the Mohave desert in 1947. On a funny side note, after seeing the movie Chuck Yeager said, "The Sound Barrier was entertaining, but not that realistic – and any pilot who attempted to break the sound barrier in the manner portrayed in the film would have been killed."

Finally got a chance to watch "The Dark Corner" recorded from TCM - what a gem of a film noir movie. While its two weaknesses - the male lead and a, sometimes, sloppy and predictable script - keep this one from being in the top-tier of film noir, it still does a lot of things right.

The style alone - high contrast black and white, cityscapes of street congestion, soaring buildings, elevated subways rattling away, neon flashing here, there and everywhere, street urchins playing amidst clusters of metal garbage cans, fedoras, double-breasted suits (and a linen versus seersucker suit playing a part in the plot [!]), exposed plumbing and the, occasional, view of the "other side's" wealth and opulence - is enough to make this one worth watching again and again.

But impressively - and shockingly - Lucille Ball plays the love interest and gives a performance without a hint of "Lucy," but with plenty of dame-like, world-weariness, combined with grit. Her performance had you rooting for her more than the male lead, Mark Stephens, who seemed unsure if he should play the role as a tough or sensitive guy and, thus, came off as neither.

William Bendix plays a by-the-numbers tough guy but, as he usually does, brings a tenor of subconscious confused thinking that makes you unsure of his next move. Finally, Clifton Webb plays his usual snarky and imperious self, but it felt mailed-in the time as if he had used up all his reserves in "Laura."

As noted, a kinda weak script and some uneven performances held this one back, but Lucy, being anything but "Lucy," and an incredible visual noir style make this one a surprise gem.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Finally got a chance to watch "The Dark Corner" recorded from TCM - what a gem of a film noir movie. While its two weaknesses - the male lead and a, sometimes, sloppy and predictable script - keep this one from being in the top-tier of film noir, it still does a lot of things right.

The style alone - high contrast black and white, cityscapes of street congestion, soaring buildings, elevated subways rattling away, neon flashing here, there and everywhere, street urchins playing amidst clusters of metal garbage cans, fedoras, double-breasted suits (and a linen versus seersucker suit playing a part in the plot [!]), exposed plumbing and the, occasional, view of the "other side's" wealth and opulence - is enough to make this one worth watching again and again.

But impressively - and shockingly - Lucille Ball plays the love interest and gives a performance without a hint of "Lucy," but with plenty of dame-like, world-weariness, combined with grit. Her performance had you rooting for her more than the male lead, Mark Stephens, who seemed unsure if he should play the role as a tough or sensitive guy and, thus, came off as neither.

William Bendix plays a by-the-numbers tough guy but, as he usually does, brings a tenor of subconscious confused thinking that makes you unsure of his next move. Finally, Clifton Webb plays his usual snarky and imperious self, but it felt mailed-in the time as if he had used up all his reserves in "Laura."

As noted, a kinda weak script and some uneven performances held this one back, but Lucy, being anything but "Lucy," and an incredible visual noir style make this one a surprise gem.

Great review, FF. I enjoyed The Dark Corner when I watched it the other day. I agree with you about Clifton Webb - it was almost a repeat performance of his character in Laura. But Lucy was superb! I love watching her in roles that are the opposite of her "I Love Lucy" character.

... But Lucy was superb! I love watching her in roles that are the opposite of her "I Love Lucy" character.

It shows how, as an actress, she had more than just "Lucy" in her and, who knows, had her Hollywood fate been tweaked slightly, she might have been more of a movie star, but never become "Lucy." Life is funny how what looks bad - career not taking off in Hollywood - leads, indirectly, to something groundbreaking in TV.

SurfGent

Suspended
public_enemies_movie_poster_johnny_depp_01.jpg

SurfGent

Suspended
2004-2014 I basically didn't watch any movies. Did not have the time. Now a year and 1/2 into retirement I'm discovering all the great movies I missed. I've never heard of this movie till last night. It was fantastic, from a FL members perspective

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Watched the Redford film The Natural again. Lots of great hats and leathers.

Malamud's book isn't nearly as good as the film, sartorial and baseball circa 1930s depiction, but supposedly based on a Chicago White Sox player who was shot inside a hotel
by a woman whom then leapt out a window. The man spent years away from baseball to return to the game in his thirties.

green papaya

One Too Many
"The Old Man and the SEA" starring Spencer Tracy

An old Cuban fisherman's dry spell is broken when he hooks a gigantic fish that drags him out to sea. Based on Ernest Hemingway's story.

Attachments

• 2016-08-16_161448.jpg
    2016-08-16_161448.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 2016-08-16_161600.jpg
    2016-08-16_161600.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Other Box, (1966) Not sure why I missed this one? It has Dialing For Dollars written all over it! Back in the 70s, I usually got off my construction job in time to watch, then off to night school, oh to have that kind of stamina again. Spoiler alert, I think this must have been the only time in history where the chase scene consisted of two horse drawn hearses!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The Secret Life of Pets with the family at the theater.

Saw this some time ago. It was "alright" but it didn't knock my socks off. The first "Shrek" set the bar way too high for me I suppose. It's got some cute bits but nothing earth shattering. The A.C. was good though.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner