Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Edward

Bartender
Lady Day said:
Quiz Show. Didnt fall asleep this time, and dug the late 50s clothes :)

I just couldn't get why it was such a big scandal. Unfair, sure, but scandal?

LD

Wasn't that the one where they told the reigning champ he had to lose at the next episode, and he refused to or something? I vaguely recall it, I liked it a lot. In today's climate, I think it would be huge..... I think back in the day, it was a sense of fair play that people had, nowadays it'd maybe be more self-focussed - "they lied to us!" The last few months have seen a huge scandal in the UK over premium-rate phone-in competitions being rigged, or in several cases folks continuing to phone in at 70p a go (almost a dollar and a half) to enter a competition the winner of which had already been selected. There the controversy is not so much the dishonesty per se but the unjust enrichment, and probably a fair degree of "it might have been me won if they hadn't cheated - I was robbed!" as well.

Edward

Bartender
deadpandiva said:
I rented The Wind That Shakes the Barley and So Proudly We Hail. I watched so Proudly We Hail but accedently returned The Wind That Shakes The Barley instead. :eusa_doh:

Is So Proudly We Hail similar subject matter? I really enjoyed The Wind... myself. I studied that period of Irish history extensively at school, and it remains something I'm interested in all these years later. I really enjoyed how it concentrated on the impact of the successive conflicts upon day to day Irish folks rather than the more common concentration on Mick, deV, and the rest. Especially poignant when it came to the family-splitting bitterness of the Civil War. I did find it maybe a touch heavy handed on the Black and Tans. Yes, they were a bunch of b'stards in so many things they did, but I think we have to be fair and recognise that much of the blame must lie with those who decided to send them in there in the first place. Really, they were guys who having served in the Great War weren't capable of resettlement into civilian life. I've long suspected that many of them were brutal simply as a result of being brutalised by the trenches - in all probability, many of them nowadays would have been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. Putting that in a civilian context is only asking for trouble! not that I'd downplay the nastier things they did (same goes for the Ra of those days), but I think it ill behoves us if we don't at least attempt to understand where they were coming from and question whether there might not have been some factors mitigating full responsibility. Nevertheless, a superb film with a fantastic sense of period and costume (at least to my eye, not having been around in those days. lol ).

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
Lady Day said:
Transformers :eusa_doh:

Too long, too loud and hard to watch. Did every tiny little minute thing have to move all the time, along with the camera?

LD

That's just Michael Bay for you...I did enjoy Transformers :)

I watched "Perfume: Story of a murderer" on Tuesday night...I heard it was a better book so I'm buying it tonight. I enjoyed the movie up until near the end, I am hoping it will make more sense in the book.

I watched "Zwartboek" or "Black book" last night and I really did like it. Hoping to go see "Darjeeling limited" this weekend.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Starius said:
How do you feel about those book chapter page scenes interjected into the movie in the directors cut? I felt they kinda screwed up the pacing of the movie.

Yeah I did too. I thought keeping Sparrow's book just as sort of a guideline, but not a dogma of the movie story was a better idea. [huh]

LD

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Lasr night I watched Halloween. It would be much better if they'd gotten rid of all the "teenage" actors except JLC. Those other girls could not act. They couldn't even play sexy. 70s films, and some from the 60s, are so boring with the way they carry on about sex. Like it was just so incredibly shocking. Like no one had ever done "naughty" things before. :rolleyes:

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last movie was Maltese Falcon, 1931 (first) version. I'd loaned the 3 disk set that came out last year to a friend who said she'd only have them a week or so...and two months later...Anyway, she returned the set Monday and there wasn't anything worth watching IMHO last night so I popped that in.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Lone Wolf in London (1947), a tepid "B" about a reformed jewel thief whose butler is Eric Blore. You remember Blore. He was everybody's butler. Even he couldn't save this turkey.
15026.jpg

Moodle

New in Town
carter said:
The Killers, B&W, 1946, Edmund O'Brien, Ava Gardner, and Burt lancaster. :D

Oh, I just saw that last week! Isn't it great?--plus, with Ava Gardner and Burt Lancaster on one screen, my eyes didn't know where to look...

I just watched "Memories of a Murder," a South Korean movie from a couple of years ago. It was...odd. Interesting, and the cinematography was really well-done, but the story was a bit slow. Plus, from all TWO Korean movies I've seen (so clearly I'm an expert :D ), the sense of humor seems to be pitched differently than I'm used to (much more slapstick in what was otherwise a serious drama/thriller), and it was jarring. I did still enjoy it, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot