Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Saving Private Ryan....love the part where Sizemore and a Kraut square off and the Nazi throws his helmet at him, then Sizemore does the same and both are scrambling for their pistols and start shooting and Sizemore gets hit in the side and starts screaming "son-of-a-b****! son-of-a-b****!" and then he throws his empty 1911 and keeps yelling..lol lol oh man that gets me every time...Sizemore was fantastic in his role of Sgt. Horvath...

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
ValerieAmelia said:
Has anyone seen Mirrormask? It is one of the most original movies I have watched lately. It's all done with CGI or green screen or whatever...it's amazing, I suggest making it the next movie you rent.

MirrorMask is gorgeous--Dave McKean is a fine artist. The writer, Neil Gaiman, is my all-time favorite authors too, but in spite of both of them developing this film, it fell short of "great" for me. I can't quite put my finger on why, other than the story couldn't quite translate itself on the screen.[huh]

I watched Where Angels Fear to Tread yesterday--fantastic film. And I may see the 3-D version of Nightmare Before Christmas tomorrow, if time allows.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I watched MirrorMask some time ago and thought it was wonderful. I may need to rent it again now that you have brought it to mind.

sweetfrancaise said:
MirrorMask is gorgeous--Dave McKean is a fine artist. The writer, Neil Gaiman, is my all-time favorite authors too, but in spite of both of them developing this film, it fell short of "great" for me. I can't quite put my finger on why, other than the story couldn't quite translate itself on the screen.[huh]

I watched Where Angels Fear to Tread yesterday--fantastic film. And I may see the 3-D version of Nightmare Before Christmas tomorrow, if time allows.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ValerieAmelia said:
Has anyone seen Mirrormask? It is one of the most original movies I have watched lately. It's all done with CGI or green screen or whatever...it's amazing, I suggest making it the next movie you rent.

mirrormask.jpg

I saw it in the theater and I kept cleaning my glasses thinking I had a smear on them. It was so fuzzy and hard to watch and focus on anything. There were some amazing sets; her room with the city drawing and where she is turned into the dark princess are amazing. Its the illustrator and the behind the scenes stuff of that movie that blow my mind :)

LD

Starius

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
I saw it in the theater and I kept cleaning my glasses thinking I had a smear on them. It was so fuzzy and hard to watch and focus on anything. There were some amazing sets; her room with the city drawing and where she is turned into the dark princess are amazing. Its the illustrator and the behind the scenes stuff of that movie that blow my mind :)

LD

Where she turned to the dark princess... was that the scene where those mechanical people were singing "why do birds suddenly appear?"
I loved that scene.

That movie movie was also a stepping stone for the Jim Henson Co's next movie, which is a sequel to the Dark Crystal. That film, however, will be a mixture of puppetry and CGI.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Our latest show is "The Darjeeling Limited", a Wes Anderson opus that isn't what I expected. The trailer packages it as kind of a slapstick goofball comedy, but it's actually a lot deeper than that, with a chance for Owen Wilson to play something other than his usual Slacker/Goofball Dude thing. I'm not sure yet what I really think about it, after having only seen it once, but we're running it for the next two weeks and I guess I'll have plenty of time to think about it.

The film exchange really screwed up on this one, by the way. They first sent us the first three reels of "Darjeeling" packaged with the last three reels of some bizarre sci-fi apocalypse thing. When the heroes end up fighting radioactive zombies in some post-nuclear wasteland of destuction, it becomes a very different picture.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My, oh my! I didn't think this thread would loom near the top for as long as it has!! But I'm glad! Keep telling us what movies you've currently enjoyed/unenjoyed!

As for me, the Fedora Lounge's own "Midnight Palace" copied me some Leila Hyams movies a few months ago and I'm just now getting a chance to watch them!

Last night I decided to watch The Poor Rich (1934). I loved it! Very low production values (which I love) and a great cast of some of my very favourites: Edward Everett Horton, Edna Mae Oliver, Thelma Todd, and, as already mentioned, Leila Hyams! It was the perfect movie to watch in the dark at midnight! Thank you again, MP if you read this!!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I saw Eastern Promises last week at the cinema. I didn't like David Cronenberg's last film, A History of Violence, but I like Vincent Cassel so thought this wouldn't be too bad. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't amazing either, I kind of left with a dissatisfied feeling just like with A History of Violence. Naomi Watts was a bit annoying too. I also saw The Seven Year Itch yesterday on tv.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
Spiderman 3

All I can say is if Spidey had is spider-sense turned on, he would of gotten into a whole lot less trouble. lol

LD

I just watched Spiderman 3 last night. Good movie, I guess, with some great action. I didn't like it as well as the first two, though.

Kevin Noel Olso

New in Town
My wife bought me Tod Browning's Freaks on DVD. As always, a great movie! The extras were great as well, including the three alternative endings. What a classic film! :eusa_clap

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ada Veen said:
Last night I watched Pan's Labyrinth. Has anyone seen it?

We had a *very* successful two week run of Pan's Labyrinth last November -- we could have held it over a third week and done healthy business. I thought it was an incredible piece of filmmaking, even though some of the violence made me flinch. And it *really* touched a chord with the local kids, few of whom usually come to our shows. We've been looking for something else like it ever since!

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Ada Veen said:
Last night I watched Pan's Labyrinth. Has anyone seen it?
Yes! I liked it, it was dark and beautifully done. I should watch it again, the first time around I wasn't too impressed with the depth of the story. What did you think of it?

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Rambo III and Tora! Tora! Tora!...hot dog, those were good...loved the Warhawks in the latter...
P-40.jpg

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat....gave those Zeros hell thats for sure...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
We had a *very* successful two week run of Pan's Labyrinth last November -- we could have held it over a third week and done healthy business. I thought it was an incredible piece of filmmaking, even though some of the violence made me flinch. And it *really* touched a chord with the local kids, few of whom usually come to our shows. We've been looking for something else like it ever since!

Try the Devil's Backbone. Same director, great lead character (a young boy) and better story than Pan's. :)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart