Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I just watched Rush Hour 3. Two hours of my life I'll never get back. I wanted to watch The Bourne Ultimatum, but it was already rented out.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Last night I watched Jean-Luc Godard's 'Breathless' (1960). Very cool. I once worked for the daily newspaper in Marshalltown, Iowa, where Jean Seberg was born and raised. Digging through the darkroom files I discovered some long-forgotten negatives of her after she had come back from her European success and had become quite a celebrity. I made a few very nice poster-size prints of her with that sexy, short hairstyle.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
last two movies

Cool story. When I saw Breathless on the big screen I borrowed Jacques Dessange's book on cutting your own hair so I could re-create that hairstyle. It was sexy.
Mr. Wong the pug who likes to watch animals on TV was feeling poorly so I looked in my collection of free videos and popped in Eddie Murphy's Dr. Dolittle, cheered the puggy right up. Other than that it was one of my favorites, A Child's Christmas in Wales with Denholm Elliott.

Socrets

Familiar Face
Last two movies? Several modern Christmas classics: A Muppet Christmas Carol and Tim Burton's the Nightmare Before Christmas. I don't suppose anyone has seen Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd?

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
An early Christmas present

Since I'll be back at work, FINALLY....... My wife gave me an early Christmas present of the Young Indy War Years set. So I'm on disk two learning about Matta Harri.

I don't really even remember the series being out and think I was in full swing of my Commercial photo career. So wasn't around to watch much television anyway...

I have to say... not bad!!! Plus I can watch it with the little minions around without corrupting their little hearts and minds!!!

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Just watched The Bishop's Wife with the family, I think I actually like this movie more every time I see it (which must be a dozen times or so). Cary Grant goes hatless the entire movie and my wife asked me out of the blue why, it's funny that she is even looking for things like that now too. ;)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Badluck Brody said:
Since I'll be back at work, FINALLY....... My wife gave me an early Christmas present of the Young Indy War Years set. So I'm on disk two learning about Matta Harri.

I don't really even remember the series being out and think I was in full swing of my Commercial photo career. So wasn't around to watch much television anyway...

I have to say... not bad!!! Plus I can watch it with the little minions around without corrupting their little hearts and minds!!!

I absolutely loved this series - I think I taped as many as possible on VHS, but haven't watched them in years. I have to admit, though, I like the ones where Indy is a young man as opposed to when he's a boy.

Feraud

Bartender
Just watched Klute with Sutherland and Fonda. Good film. There is a short documentary of the film on the Netflix disc. It is funny to hear the comments from the actors about how filthy and unsettling NYC was.
Today most of the city is a different place by 180 degrees.

Tonight I will either watch A Tale of Two Cities with Ronald Coleman or a few episodes of Futurama.

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
Watched the 1944 version of GASLIGHT with the always-scrumptious Ingrid Bergman.

I'm leaning toward an Astaire-Rogers movies from the second DVD set for this Saturday.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Socrets said:
Last two movies? Several modern Christmas classics: A Muppet Christmas Carol and Tim Burton's the Nightmare Before Christmas. I don't suppose anyone has seen Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd?

Nice choices, Socrets! Two of my favorites. I did see Sweeney, and it's fantastic--there's a thread I started on it here.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
The Plague Dogs. It was bleak and depressing. It was well made and compelling but I can't recommend it unless you like to be depressed. The Animation was very interesting. There was amazing detail in the landscaps but the people and animals were flat. It made for quite a contrast and I wondered if there was a symbolic reason for doing it that way.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
AmateisGal said:
I absolutely loved this series - I think I taped as many as possible on VHS, but haven't watched them in years. I have to admit, though, I like the ones where Indy is a young man as opposed to when he's a boy.

It is great to have the whole Young Indiana Jones Chronicles series coming out on DVD, and loaded with extras at that. It impresses me that even after the series had completed its initial run, George Lucas had several additional segments filmed to fill in the gaps in the narrative. The whole run is one of the most ambitious endeavors of its kind ever -- it has been under-recognized, and is very likely Lucas's finest accomplishment in any medium. It was certainly, for so notably "commercial" a director and producer, a real labor of love.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Just watched Klute with Sutherland and Fonda. Good film. There is a short documentary of the film on the Netflix disc. It is funny to hear the comments from the actors about how filthy and unsettling NYC was.
Today most of the city is a different place by 180 degrees.

I was a young man in the New York area at that time, and those actors are so right. It was a frightening experience to go to even such heavily trafficked areas as Times Square, or down into the subway system (where you felt you were putting your life at risk). The extremely scary Taxi Driver, filmed partly in and around that neighborhood (and in other of the city's seedier locales) has an absolutely documentary flavor for me when I re-watch it now.

Klute is a brilliantly atmospheric film, richly moving, astonishingly well-acted. One of the best of its era.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I've watched a few movie DVDs over the past week:

The Texas Rangers -- Above average 1936 Western with Fred MacMurray, directed by King Vidor, about bad guys gone good.
Jaws -- I've seen this film any number of times, because it is so astonishingly good at what it sets out to do. I can almost forgive it the "summer blockbuster" mentality that it almost single-handedly created in the movie industry. Seen a seventh or eighth time, it seems very much a black comedy, in addition to the other things it undeniably is.
Used Cars -- I know this scathingly funny comedy by heart and watched it this time for the purpose of hearing the very funny DVD commentary by director/co-writer Bob Zemeckis, co-writer Bob Gale, and star Kurt Russell.
Mr. Brooks -- More on this one below.

I also continued my watching of the first season of the brilliant late Fifties television series The Untouchables.

Now Mr. Brooks -- that's an interesting case. On the one hand, when you put this high gloss serial killer thriller up against the contemporary competition, it's not bad at all -- reasonably tense, very well acted. Kevin Costner fans (of whom I am one) will need to see it just for him, and he's quite good. (Also well dressed, but that's another post.)

But when you consider Mr. Brooks within the context of better films, even better neo-noirs -- it just falls apart. It's not fundamentally serious, although it tries to trick you into pretending it is by having Costner's compulsive killer wrestle with his inner demon (played by William Hurt). But on that theme, any random scene of Peter Lorre in M (1931) blows this entire movie out of the water. Even placing the movie in a more pop context, it suffers by comparison with The Silence of the Lambs -- which has its flaws, but also in my experience has a creepiness that sticks with you (in part because of the extraordinary duets between Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster).

Mr. Brooks is one of those movies where you can feel the ghost-presence of the pages of the screenplay; the contrivances don't evaporate. One question that came to mind is, just how many serial killers, wannabe serial killers, and potential serial killers can one movie feature?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
All we did yesterday afternoon (Christmas Day) was watch movies. We normally head out west to see our relatives, but since it's a five hour drive and we had to work today, we decided to stay home.

So. We watched:

1) Jingle All the Way
2) Home Alone
3) Die Hard
4) Die Hard With a Vengeance (I got hubby the Die Hard trilogy for Christmas!)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Every so often I just have to see a Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy movie, so I watched Maytime (1937) last night. I don't think Jeanette ever looked prettier than in this one, and the clothes are to die for--Adrian outdid himself. John Barrymore always makes me sad though, he's so "gone" in this film--hard to believe it's only 3 years after 20th Century when he was so vibrant.

I can never decide if I like Rose Marie (1936) or Maytime better but they're so different I guess I could call a tie.

mde.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff