Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Big Lots has $3 DVDs

My local Big Lots just got a huge shipment of movies with a special four-sided display, and each DVD is only $3.

Bound for Glory starring David Carradine as Depression era folk singer Woody Guthrie

In Cold Blood, filmed in the Clutter house where the murders occured; now that's creepy

My Summer Story, the sequel to A Christmas Story with all different actors and you get to see the whole Bumpass clan (it was originally titled "It Runs in the Family" but that's since been overtaken with the Michael/Kirk Douglas film)

and just for s***s and giggles something called Bubba Ho-tep with Bruce Campbell as Elvis and Ossie Davis as JFK

Also I didn't get them but noticed they had Pride of the Yankees and Run Silent, Run Deep

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954)

Forget Top Gun. This is the Naval Aviation glamour pic. Tom Cruise comes off like a snotnosed frat boy compared to Bill Holden's mature, angsty portrayal of an F9F Panther pilot who must undertake a suicide mission thru the most heavily defended mountain pass in North Korea. Co-starring Grace Kelly, the USS Oriskany, and the iconic G-1 jacket (or was it still called the 55J14?).

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I need to hit Big Lots, Jedburgh! "Bound For Glory" is a movie I've wanted to see for a long time. I've seen "Bubba Ho Tep" and loved Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davis.

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
hmm i can't recall,but i would like to watch Beetlejuice again. I swear to jesus that is my favorite movie.

But theres been too many nights wear i have this blank,vacant stare on my face eating some cake and having some tea with my boyfriend nikky,while we do nothing but stare at the turned off tv and just listen to the silence....then out of nowhere nikky goes and pops his jaw for entertainment-i just cringe cause its gross,and like yeh gross.

maybe one of those nights when we are doing that,we'll watch beetlejuice.

sweatyspaghetti said:
hmm i can't recall,but i would like to watch Beetlejuice again. maybe one of those nights when we are doing that,we'll watch beetlejuice.
Isn't that the Banana Boat Song?

Day, me say day, me say day, me say day-ay-ay-oh!
Daylight come and me want go home.

Hey Mr.Tally man, tally me banana
Daylight come and I wanna go home"

Daylight come and me want go home.
Chop banana til the morning come.
Daylight come...

Day-o, day-o
Daylight come...
Day-o, day-o

A beautiful bunch of ripe banana,
Daylight come...
Hide the deadly black tarantula,
Daylight come...

Day-o...etc.

Come mister tally man, tally me banana,
Daylight come...
Come mister...
Daylingt come...

I pack up all me things and I go to sea,
Daylight come...
Then all these banana see the last of me.
Daylight come...

Day-o...etc.

Come mr. tallyman..."

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Back from Eternity (1956). Robert Ryan, Anita Ekberg, and Rod Steiger. A decent remake of Five Came Back.

A South American plane loaded with an assortment of characters crash lands in a remote jungle area in the middle of a storm. The passengers then discover they are in an area inhabited by vicious cannibals and must escape before they are found.

Robert Ryan is fine as the able veteran airline pilot in charge of getting his passengers and crew back to safety after they've force landed in the South American jungle.

Rod Steiger plays the criminal on the way to his execution.

The IMDB review calls it, "a good solid piece of entertainment that also asks some important questions about the quality of life collectively and the quality of how one spends his allotted time on earth."

Hondo

One Too Many
SEVEN SAMURAI

Akira Kurosawa’s SEVEN SAMURAI, set in 16th century Japan, I swear the resemblance
of some of the characters in American remake is quite funny, turning samurai's into cowboys
was a cool idea in "The Magnificent Seven, with Yul Brynner", both are
excellent character study films, mixed with fight scenes, drama and humor.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday evening we had some friends over for a screening of "Our Dancing Daughters" along with a couple of Vitaphone shorts: "Movie gets A Voice" and Jolson in "A Plantation Act".

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
"Georgie..."

The Street With No Name (1948), with Mark Stevens, Richard Widmark, and Lloyd Nolan. Widmark shines as the tight-lipped, perpetually cold, wife slapper with the huge-lapelled overcoat. Good documentary, semi-noir (in contrast to full-blown noir) from 20th Century-Fox.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
"Dead End" ca. 1937 w/Bogie and the Dead End Kids.
dead-end.jpg

Caleb Moore

Familiar Face
Found myself wanting to pay homage to Paul Newman so my lovely girfriend and I put in The Sting, made popcorn and opened a couple of beers (one of Mr. Newman's favorite meals).

The Sting is my favorite Newman movie. I also love The Color of Money, Butch and Sundance, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof...well...mnay of them apparently.

Ace Fedora

Familiar Face
Rat Pfink a Boo Boo may not just be the greatest movie ever... it may be the greatest thing ever! :)

Seriously, this movie was mindblowing. Apparently it started out as a low-grade crime flick, but 45 minutes in the producer (-slash-director-slash-writer) realized the movie was going nowhere, so he had two of the characters run into a closet and come out dressed as superheroes. And then it gets even stranger...

When the gorilla showed up I had to stop my VCR because I was laughing too hard.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Just showed "All the President's Men" to my newswriting class. It is sad that college students do not know anything about Nixon and Watergate. I could have told them it was all made-up and they would have believed me. The movie makes me wonder where has the media gone that could have exposed a crime like Watergate, and a public that believed Woodward and Bernstein.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Moontide

Last night I finally saw Moontide (1942). It was an interesting proto-noir/ love story featuring Ida Lupino. The story focuses on a happy-go-lucky dock-worker, who may have killed a man in a drunken stupor, and a suicidal waitress with a dark past. Together they find love and redemption in a run down bait-shack by the pier. How can you pass up a story like that?

The costuming really makes this movie notable. Since it focuses on the lower echelon of society, you get a chance to see very non-Hollywood outfits. Campaign hats, rope belts, and gingham dresses abound. It makes me wonder if the "fans" of the depression era should focus on these type of clothes rather than belt-back suits and fedoras ;) .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo