Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Mulholland Falls

Mulholland Falls was the inspiration for me to buy my first hat. (Very Butch Movie.) When it came out on VHS I think. Watched it and went to "The Hats Mart" on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena. Got a Stetson Souvreign Grey with black ribbon.
This one:
Project35.png

Kermez

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
Mulholland Falls was the inspiration for me to buy my first hat. (Very Butch Movie.) When it came out on VHS I think. Watched it and went to "The Hats Mart" on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena. Got a Stetson Souvreign Grey with black ribbon.

I'd never seen or even heard of it before. I check out what's coming on for the week and set the DVR accordingly. It looked interesting, and I finally got around to watching it last night (it was on HBO - or Encore, or Starz - sometime in the last week or so, I think).

Good period movie. Lots of hats and even a few white shoes with black wingtips. Well worth watching. (Especially uncut, as Jen C. is smokin' hot - expect for those eyebrows...)

Feraud

Bartender
Jewel Robbery with Kay Francis and W. Powell.
A depression era escapist piece of work. Powell plays the suave jewel thief and Francis the rich, bored housewife who prefers the dashing thief to her 9-5 working husband.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Jewel Robbery with Kay Francis and W. Powell.
A depression era escapist piece of work. Powell plays the suave jewel thief and Francis the rich, bored housewife who prefers the dashing thief to her 9-5 working husband.

Great movie! I just saw this one for the first time a couple of weeks ago. William Powell and Kay Francis make a great team. My only complaint was I wish it were a bit longer.

Bluebird

New in Town
"Top Hat" was on twice this week (don't know why, but who am I to complain?) Hubby wasn't too impressed with my singing along and bouncing on the couch (ya know...dancing...sort of...). This is one of my fave of Fred and Gingers. Was humming "puttin' on my top hat, tying up my white tie, brushing off my tails..." for DAYS. Gingers feather dress always has me dreaming (and laughing at how little tendrils were sticking to Fred)!

Classic!! :eusa_clap

^_^ bluebird

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
I've been off for two days, and that, coupled with my current state of broke, has led to much movie-watching.
Miss Pettigrew Lives fro a Day- adorable, sweet, and fun. It's nice to watch a movie that has no deep meaning to it.
Oldboy- none of the above. It was a great film, but not for the faint of heart.
Yojimbo- I got my son to watch it, and he loved it. Toshiro Mifune is fantastic.
Deadwood- A friend lent me season one, and it's addictive. Some of the worst people ever put on the small screen.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Took some time to revisit "Hollywood Hotel," one of my favorite late-30s musicals. It's not the Busby Berkeleyest film that Busby Berkeley ever did, but it's got some great music -- including Benny Goodman and his Orchestra at their peak -- and some fun performances by the Warner musical stock company, supplemented by a stooge-free Ted Healy and the glass-cutter voice of Mabel Todd. Highlight is an extended musical number shot at Carpenter's Drive In, one of the landmarks of early fast-food. And of course, some genuinely bizarre headgear on top of Louella Parsons!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I have "Jackie Brown" playing tonight. Its a good flick with some great folks that haven't been around in awhile. (Robert Forrester, Pam Grier).
The "extra features" on the DVD has the "Girls with guns" montage from Samuel L. Jackson's part in the movie and its very entertaining.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I spent much of the evening a couple days ago rehooking up some of my audio and video gear. The first flick I threw on the newly reconnected DVD player was Jacques Tati's "Mon Oncle". A very dear little movie.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Godfather, then Godfather Part II, one after the other, with a big group of people and several bottles of wine. There was singing, and abuse of Italian accents.
Happy late Columbus Day!
(This is a tradition in my family)

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
I just watched The Assassination Of Jessie James by the coward Robert Ford starring Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck. This movie is a great character study movie and both stars do a great job. It is a slow moving movie but I was completely engrossed in these two characters relationship. It is a great period piece with accurate sets and costuming from the period. The big Buffalo coats worn in the movie reminded me of my granddad's back on the farm. I remember sleeping in it when I was a little boy. Hats and suits and old saddles, guns and holsters and boots all period accurate as far as I could tell. The houses used as sets were spot on. City shots were filmed in my city Winnipeg in and area that is called "Old Market Square". It is a two block area that looks mostly as it did in the late 1800's. It was fun looking for familiar city spots.

This film presents the story of these characters congruently. However, I do not know how accurate the story is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24