Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Panache

A-List Customer
Horror Express on Halloween night!

I watched this on Halloween night. It's a weird movie, a strange movie, a movie where Telly Savalas gnaws on the scenery with gusto, and Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are both good guys (!), but a fun movie.

Cheers

Jamie

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I re-watched a documentary on DVD someone gave me ,"The Search for Robert Johnson". Its very interesting and there are interviews included with musicians that new and played with him. I've always thought he had a true "one of a kind" sound both with his guitar playing and his voice. He led a short and interesting (mysterious even) life. If you can rent this and like the delta blues, check it out.

Feraud

Bartender
KY Gentleman said:
I re-watched a documentary on DVD someone gave me ,"The Search for Robert Johnson". Its very interesting and there are interviews included with musicians that new and played with him. I've always thought he had a true "one of a kind" sound both with his guitar playing and his voice. He led a short and interesting (mysterious even) life. If you can rent this and like the delta blues, check it out.
That is a good documentary.
If you enjoy Johnson's music and want to explore his influences I highly suggest this cd.
Back To The Crossroads, The Roots of Robert Johnson
Yazoo Records
Artists like Kokomo Arnold, Peetie Wheatstraw and Skip James are amazing artists that unfortunately mostly forgotten today.

I recorded a few Karloff movies from TCM.
Just watched
The Ghoul and Before I Hang.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
puretxnxt said:
I watched "Suspiria" last night. It doesn't matter that I've watched it 20 times already it always makes me jumpy afterwards.
How is this? I just added it to my NetFilx on recommendation of some scariest films of all time count down I watched.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Couldn't get to sleep last night so I pulled out, at random, "It's In The Bag," a truly bizarre 1945 comedy feature starring radio legend Fred Allen. Probably the most Dadaist Holloywood comedy of the forties, it parodies and deconstructs itself at practically every turn, thanks to the peculiar script by Jay Dratler and Alma Reville, from a treatment by Allen himself. Alma Reville was the wife of Alfred Hitchcock, and the sheer oddness of the screenplay supports a strong suspicion that the master himself might have had an anonymous hand in the proceedings. Allen makes snide voice-over comments thruout the film, ridiculing the characters and commenting on the cheesiness of movie conventions, which gives it all a decidedly post-modern feel.

The bonus appearance by Jack Benny is worth the price of admission alone -- perhaps the apotheosis of the "Benny-Allen Feud."

I'd love to show this picture on the big screen someday, but I doubt there's fifty people left in the world who'd understand all the gags. And I suspect most of those fifty are members of the Lounge.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I watched that recently -- it's all you say.

Last night, I watched THE HOUSE IN THE SQUARE (1951), aka as I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU. Tyrone Power is an atomic scientist fascinated by time travel who is transported back to London in 1784, where he falls in love with Ann Blythe (or, rather, a character played by her).

It's quite an entertaining picture -- a movie of ideas, really, not just romance and escape. I recommend it.

Cricket

Practically Family
Feraud said:
That is a good documentary.
If you enjoy Johnson's music and want to explore his influences I highly suggest this cd.
Back To The Crossroads, The Roots of Robert Johnson
Yazoo Records
Artists like Kokomo Arnold, Peetie Wheatstraw and Skip James are amazing artists that unfortunately mostly forgotten today.

I recorded a few Karloff movies from TCM.
Just watched
The Ghoul and Before I Hang.

I live near Bentonia, where Skip James was born. There is this old juke joint called the Blue Front Cafe where Duck Holmes plays. He is the only man alive who can still play the Bentonia Blues. Great place to pop open a cold one and listen to some good music.

As far as movies go, we are watching the three disc John Adams series. We are on the fifth hour and are loving it. I will have to continue it tonight after I have voted. Perfect movie for a perfect event..exercising the right to vote. Great watch!

it's great. Well, I think it's great. It was the first horror movie I saw so it has a special place in my heart. I also remember reading somewhere that it was one of the last major movies filmed in technicolor.
Hemingway Jones said:
How is this? I just added it to my NetFilx on recommendation of some scariest films of all time count down I watched.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"Archangel" with Daniel Craig. Very good. My wife had read the book not terribly long ago and said it was a good adaptation as well. Worth seeing.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
puretxnxt said:
Watched "everything about my mother" by almodovar last night. such a good ,sad movie.

All About My Mother is one of Almodovar's best movies - anyone I know who has watched it has loved it.

I went out a few weeks ago and bought a few more of his movies - I've watched most of them at this stage - Live Flesh, Talk to Her, Volver and Bad Education - still a few more to go!

I have really enjoyed them all - I love the fact that his movies give women decent roles - roles that remind me of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford - the likes of which you don't really see anymore these days.

JohnnyL

New in Town
Watched Changeling for our movie club on Friday night. Didn't seem like 2 hours. good movie. Nice period piece. Some details altered but pretty much true to the actual events. Other than the lips, which were made more prominent by her bright red lipstick, I forgot I was looking and Angelina Jolie.

Also saw Vickie, Christina, Barcelona last month. Liked this one as well but reminded me somewhat of Almodovar.

I saw an interview with him a while back and he actually said that he writes characters with a Bette Davis type spirit.
Oh,Women on the verge of a nervous break is another great one.
Miss Golightly said:
All About My Mother is one of Almodovar's best movies - anyone I know who has watched it has loved it.

I went out a few weeks ago and bought a few more of his movies - I've watched most of them at this stage - Live Flesh, Talk to Her, Volver and Bad Education - still a few more to go!

I have really enjoyed them all - I love the fact that his movies give women decent roles - roles that remind me of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford - the likes of which you don't really see anymore these days.

Haversack

One Too Many
Last night we watched a couple of Warner Bros. cartoons, _Have You Got Any Castles_ and Hollywood Steps Out_, a newsreel on King George VI, and in honour of the evening, Preston Sturges's debut as a writer/director, _The Great McGinty_.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran