Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Spiffy

A-List Customer
carter said:
Wanted - No heart, no soul, vestigal plot, not worth the time or the money. Read a good comic book instead.

Lol! Wanted is a comic book. My last was Godfather Part II, which was playing behind the bar (?) of a club I was at this weekend.

Edward

Bartender
Sunday night I watch a double bill of Claude Rains - The Invisible Man, which is an absolute classic, and The Pantom of the Opera, which took some serious liberties with the original story, but is still quite entertaining. Interesting that they turned it into something of a revenge story, as much as anything...

Hondo

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
The Burmese Harp, an interesting Japanese antiwar film from 1957 that was on TCM last night. I liked it.

I also watch it and and glad I wasn't the only one who saw this film.
I stayed for the others that followed, Rashomon and Kwaidan.
But I especially liked The Burmese Harp, Plot: A Japanese musician keeps up the spirits of his fellow soldiers as they flee Burma during World War II.
I wish I had seen this sooner, tragic but a great story.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
"The Cheat"

a still strangely moving "meller", featuring a good performance by the perennial Fanny Ward and a bravua turn by Sessuie Hayakawa, as the dangerously alluring Yellow Peril.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Paul and Robert together are a great team and I like it to watch them both in a movie. The Sting was the second I saw yesterday, after Butch and Sundance.
Both are funny and interesting and The Sting has all the nice atmosphere of the good old mobster time. ;)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Good choice Edward! Claude Rains is so underrated. Ever since I read that he's buried within in a car drive away from me I've wanted to go pay my respects.

Edward said:
Sunday night I watch a double bill of Claude Rains - The Invisible Man, which is an absolute classic, and The Pantom of the Opera, which took some serious liberties with the original story, but is still quite entertaining. Interesting that they turned it into something of a revenge story, as much as anything...

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Inky said:
Double Indemnity (currently on TCM On Demand).

wow, this was a great film noir classic - Barbara Stanwyck is STUNNING to watch, and this was a really unusual role for Fred MacMurray.

I like this one too. The story was very well done and Stanwyck was on top of her game in this movie.
One moment that struck me as funny was Fred MacMurray stops at a drive-in restaurant and just orders a beer. AT A DRIVE-IN RESTAURANT!
My how times have changed!

Edward

Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
Good choice Edward! Claude Rains is so underrated. Ever since I read that he's buried within in a car drive away from me I've wanted to go pay my respects.

That'd be cool to see. For something that would have been so easy to ham up as a bit of kitsch, he really gave the invisible man depth, that even at his most twisted, he was still a pitiable creature. I was also, incidently, extremely impressed with the effect of the invisibility, especially when he was half-clothed: it can't have been easy to do it so well back in the 30s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner