Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Kick @ss

I hit the 10:30am showing of "Kick @ss" as to save a few $ with $6 entry. Interesting film, but there are a few rather disturbing elements. Still it was some what thoughtful. Not for little kids that's for sure.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"The Motorcycle Diaries". Saw it when it came out and my wife and I bought the DVD and just watched it again. Great movie, well done, and bloody well acted.

JennyLou

Practically Family
I re-watched Shadow of the Thin Man. I have seen in many times. Love those films. I have not watched a classic movie in a long time. I miss them.

MCPRE

Familiar Face
Smithy said:
"The Motorcycle Diaries". Saw it when it came out and my wife and I bought the DVD and just watched it again. Great movie, well done, and bloody well acted.
I have that one too, somewhere down the road Che lost his way, at the end when he gives the speech at the Leprosy colony there is a hint of that.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Scott Wood said:
I haven't seen "The M. Diaries" since it was first released and really would like to see it again.
Last night was "Live and Let Die", "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and "Rio Bravo"
I have got to say that "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is one of my favorite westerns. Arguably my favorite John Ford movie (there are so many great John Ford movies it's impossible to choose), because of the cast and the wild humor in the middle of the movie juxtaposed with the drama and melancholy at the beginning and end. I watch it two or three times a year.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I must agree - it's (probably) my favorite western and my favorite Ford film!

PRINT THE LEGEND!

(I say "probably" because after over forty years of serious film-buffdom I find that I've really moved beyond making best-of lists and declaring absolute faves. There are just too many wonderful films to decide amongst - I found it a lot easier to make those kinds of lists when I'd seen half as many movies!)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Armored

Far from perfect, and the first half hour could have been cut to 15 min, but once the hero says, "No one will get hurt, right?" it became the most fun Ive had watching an action movie in a long time.

I guess what I liked was that most of the effects seemed...what is it? Oh! Based in physics. There was this realness ratio of weight to physical human ability that seemed deliberate, but still very cool!

The director also did Vacancy and I sincerely hope he does tons more action movies. There were some downright great sequences (action and suspense) that were staged so well that made me rewind them two and three times, and I never do that!

It was also interesting seeing Lawrence Fishborne do a henchman part. The hero was incredibly likable and the actors appeared to be having fun. What more could you ask for!?

LD

Maguire

Practically Family
I just saw the Field. Great movie, really has parts of Ireland to a T, even now. The American managed to stand out completely with his fancy coats and hats for all you fedora loungers, and of course, everything else was set in Ireland at some point between the 1920s and 1950s i'd say, but since we are talking about Ireland its hard to tell. The storyline was great, i really liked how the people act in the dancehall when the american walks in, i see that in alot of local type places, where they immediately grow silent and try to size up "the yank", even today. While Richard Harris' character is complex, he is sympathetic enough to give us an idea of what it was like to know the land and actually have a stake in it, rather than see it as a commodity to be bought and sold. Old and new clash here, and thats probably the biggest theme.

you may catch a young brendan gleeson for a flash early in the film also.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
I absolutely love "The Field" and it always will remind me of the first time my ex took me home to Erin, to Blarney :)eusa_doh: yup!) to meet the family. It was pointed out to me at sometime during the trip that her father, rest his soul, had moved to Blarney from "The City":rolleyes: , Cork fifty-odd years earlier in his twenties and was still considered a "blow in" lol
One of the things I have to say I do lament due to the ending of my marriage is that I had lived overseas for years before I met her and then we frequently did Europe because of her family and now I haven't been since the divorce because I have had no cause to do so. :(

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Mysterious Island (1929) with Lionel Barrymore in the lead. It's actually a silent film with a handful of sound segments. There is a mixture of silent film acting, with pop-eyed expressions and expansive gesturing, but in one or two moments when Barrymore is heard speaking, his delivery is very unstage like, almost conversational. It's jarring when viewed with the rest of the cast acting by semaphore.

Some very remarkable sets and a huge crowd of the undersea "people."

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Last movie I watched was the remade 3:10 to Yuma, with Christian Bale, and it was quite good. Crowe made a good villian.

Second to last movie I watched, though, was Sky Captain And the World of Tomorrow and oh my goodness it was so terrible.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Sky Captain is another one of those movies that you watch as if you were a ten year old kid. You have to look at it like an old comic book. Otherwise it just falls flat. If you're looking for a movie with a deep plot and lots of symbolism, it just ain't that kind of flick. Pure action entertainment. But there's nothing wrong with the fact that you didn't like it. Inside, I'm nothing more than a 10 year old kid. :p

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I like plenty of shiny silly action movies, Sky Captain just didn't do it for me. Maybe if Angelina were the star...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR