Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

"Generation War" episode 1. I believe Worf recommended this months ago (and I dropped it in my Netflix queue where it got lost until yesterday). This is a German TV mini-series (I think) about five young German childhood friends whose lives are ripped apart by WWII. So far the story has been engaging with a very complex view of the war from the German perspective - not whitewashed, but showing many different sides. The characters are three-dimensional with human emotions that you quickly relate to. And away from that, the set pieces are gorgeous. I have two episodes to go, but based on the first, I'm a fan and thank Worf (or whoever it was) for a very enjoyable recommendation.

photogravity

One of the Regulars
Finished the last episode of series 1 of Forsyte Saga. Overall it's okay. Were it not for Gina McKee being in the show, I'd probably have moved onto something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Worf. The fires are south, east, and west of us by quite a bit so fortunately everything is okay around here. But it is very dry around here and constantly breezy so one must stay vigilant.
:D

South east and West of you.... Sheeya! Make sure they don't cut you off to the north or you'll be surrounded. I know Cali's a big State but I wasn't sure how far up "north" you were. Glad you're out of the danger zone... Never a dull moment out there. All we have to worry about here is mosquitos so large they have registration numbers... and a little flash flooding. Oh for a national water management system! Shame Roosevelt didn't think of doing THAT with the WPA when he had the chance...

Worf

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Hubby and I started re-watching "Deadwood" last night. It's been 5 years since we watched it, and I'd forgotten how much I grew to love some of the characters. As soon as I saw Jane.... sigh. Yes.

Hubby and I started re-watching "Deadwood" last night. It's been 5 years since we watched it, and I'd forgotten how much I grew to love some of the characters. As soon as I saw Jane.... sigh. Yes.

I watched it when it was on (10 years ago?) and haven't seen it since. I remember thinking Trixie was a cool character - tough life, tough background, but had both grit and a moral compass (with the needle usually, but not always, pointed in the right direction). I'm alway impressed with anyone who's had a brutally unfair life but somehow out of that has a decent value system as you could understand if they were a just-look-out-for-myself person after all that happened to them.

But again, long time since I've seen it, but she made an impression on me. I also found the laudanum-addict Alma nuanced and enjoyable to watch act. They were both good complex characters that added a richness to the usual cast of male characters - good guys, bad guys, gunslinger, etc. - that populate westerns.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I'd say your analysis is spot-on. The characters are so complex and nuanced. It is great writing, great acting, and highly entertaining. (And I get snuggle-date time with Hubby. Score!)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's an outstanding series. I watched it about three years ago and will definitely watch it again at some point. Not only is its overarching theme fascinating - how civilization is created out of chaos, not necessarily by "civilizers", but by criminals and fringe types - but it is downright Shakespearean in its enormous range of relatable human characters and rich use of language.

And... it was just announced that Ian McShane has been cast in next season's Game of Thrones. Watch out, you Westeros hoopleheads!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy