Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

I saw the first series of that. Had no idea Rachael was Diana's daughter. Huh!!

Nor did I 'till GHT said it, and yes, "huh!!"

Rigg's Miss Emma Peel got fun personality wrapped around fun sexuality better than almost anyone else - nothing gratuitous or forced. It's great to see her daughter is an actor as well.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks to Netflix the wife and I have discovered many wonderful programs and actors.

Yes, it's a superb tool. Between that and the various free-to-air boradcasters' catch-up services, I don't remember the last time we watched anything on regular broadcast. I think it might have been Christmas.

I watched the first two episodes of Peaky Blinders last night. Not bad, but I'll need to watch a few more before I decide whether or not to watch the entire series.

A few more and you'll have seen an entire series. One of those little cultural differences between the US and the UK! ;)

Yes, it's a superb tool. Between that and the various free-to-air boradcasters' catch-up services, I don't remember the last time we watched anything on regular broadcast. I think it might have been Christmas....

Even for shows that start on the networks / regular broadcast - like, "The Blacklist -" we now wait until they hit Netflix so that we can fully control how we watch them (usually in mini spurts of 3 or 4 episodes in a row, what day and time and without commercials). Yes, we wait months after the show has been broadcast for it to get to Netflix, but we don't care - nothing is that timely about most shows and the convenience is so much better.

We pay Netflix about $10 a month for an incredible amount of content and they pay whomever owns, for example again, "The Blacklist" something for the right to broadcast it. I just wonder if the loss of our eyeballs for ad dollars when shown on the network is made up for by whatever tiny fraction of our $10 goes back to "The Blacklist" from Netflix?

My business gut tells me it doesn't and that in the near future a huge shakeup is coming as I think too many shows are getting made for the amount of ad money and streaming fees. But heck, I have no real insight into the industry's economics - so I'm probably completely wrong - but it just feels like a lot of content is out there and, I bet, commercials with a lot of eyeballs generate more money than streaming fees. Just my guess.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The French version of "The Returned". A far better effort than "Resurrection" which has already been cancelled. Don't know how it stacks up against A&E's version of the same French offering but it too has been cancelled and after just one season. This show about the dead coming back to life, at the same age in which they were buried is far scarier and creepier than the American efforts thus far.

Worf

Got around to watching the final two episodes of Hell on Wheels last night. The second to last was the best episode of the last half of this season. The final episode had a few nice moments. It was a decent wrap up to the series.
:D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Got around to watching the final two episodes of Hell on Wheels last night. The second to last was the best episode of the last half of this season. The final episode had a few nice moments. It was a decent wrap up to the series.
:D

We have Netflix now, and we just saw the first episode of this last season (the first from last year). Great episode, and we're looking forward to catching up!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I saw the first series of that. Had no idea Rachael was Diana's daughter. Huh!!
There was a biblical movie called: "In The Beginning," it might have been a made for TV film, I can't remember. I saw it on TV about 15 years ago. Rachael played the part of young Rebeccah, whilst Diana played Rebeccah in her older years. It was when the credits rolled and I saw Rachael's name that I realised her relationship with Diana. Her father is Archie Stirling, he and Diana were married for about eight years or so.

...A few more and you'll have seen an entire series. One of those little cultural differences between the US and the UK! ;)
"Two countries separated by a common language." :D

Quite possibly the best show I've ever watched. PLEASE give it a chance!
I wasn't turned away by the first two episodes, so that's a good sign. I think it helps that it's set in the early 20th century; if it were set in modern day I don't think I would have made it through the first episode.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
As part of Heroes & Icons' continuing All Star Trek routine, the first episode of Star Trek filmed in regular production, "The Corbomite Maneuver." Not only is it neatly done and very exciting still, it's fun to recall that it was the very first outing for DeForest Kelley as Dr. McCoy (Kirk calls him "McCoy" or "Doctor" throughout, not "Bones" yet), Nichelle Nichols as Lt. Uhura (clad in a gold uniform instead of her classic red), and Grace Lee Whitney as Yeoman Rand. None of the three was in the first or second pilot.

Grand dialogue:
Navigator Bailey: "Just because I raised my voice back there doesn't mean I was scared. I happen to have a human thing called an adrenaline gland."
Spock: "It does sound most inconvenient, however. Have you considered having it removed?"
Sulu (to Bailey with a grin, as Spock moves away): "Try to cross brains with Spock, he'll cut you to pieces every time."

McCoy (alone in the sickbay): "If I jumped every time a light came on around here, I'd end up talkin' to myself."

Scotty: "Beats me what makes [the rotating cube that is blocking the Enterprise] go."
Kirk: "I'll buy speculation."
Scotty: "I'd sell it if I had any."

Spock: "I regret not having learned more about this Balok [the commander of the alien ship]. In some ways he was reminiscent of my father."
Scotty: "Then may heaven have helped your mother."

Kirk (mounting his bluff to the First Federation ship that says it will destroy them): "It may interest you to know that since the initial use of corbomite more than two of our centuries ago, no attacking vessel has survived the attempt. Death has little meaning to us. If it has none to you . . . then attack us now. We grow annoyed at your foolishness."

(There are a few more I feel are quotable, but that one is the topper. It's the kind of speech an actor dreams about getting to deliver.)

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
I see a lot of love here for Peaky Blinders. I watched the first season and could barely stand the trite and predictable love triangle between Shelby, Inspector Campbell, and Grace. From what I remember Grace left at the end of season 1. My sigh of relief didn't last long after hearing she was back for s2! Does season 2 get any better or does that hackneyed storyline continue??

Edward

Bartender
My business gut tells me it doesn't and that in the near future a huge shakeup is coming as I think too many shows are getting made for the amount of ad money and streaming fees. But heck, I have no real insight into the industry's economics - so I'm probably completely wrong - but it just feels like a lot of content is out there and, I bet, commercials with a lot of eyeballs generate more money than streaming fees. Just my guess.

It's gonig to be interesting. Here in the UK, broadcast channel Film Four (movie channel, both arthouse and mainstream; also has its own production company, you hmay have seen some bits from it if you've seen some big UK films in the last 20 years or so. Trainspotting was one of their big hits) was a subscription channel, then they realised they could make more money going free to air and selling advertising instead. It's the way our print press is fast going too. I suppose we'll see in time. Netlfix and such have the advantage that they operate on a global scale, then show their content on a global scale, so it's a much bigger market than a single geographical area. I hope it continues, ads annoy me too. Moreso on our Channel 4's online catch-up, as they're four minute long ad breaks, every break has the same ads in a show (often for the entire series), and it's not as if - it being on demand, where you can pause at will - you need the ad breaks for the toilet.... ;)

The French version of "The Returned". A far better effort than "Resurrection" which has already been cancelled. Don't know how it stacks up against A&E's version of the same French offering but it too has been cancelled and after just one season. This show about the dead coming back to life, at the same age in which they were buried is far scarier and creepier than the American efforts thus far.

Worf

Did the French make more than one series? I adore zombie films, but this was such a fresh take on the genre, it was outstanding. There was also a film (on which the TV series was based), but I've yet to see that.

Actually, they are street legal. In some jurisdictions you do have to add fenders!

Yeah, that's the deal here in the UK. As long as it has three or more wheels here (roughly - if memory serves, a trike *does* need to be more car than bike based), you don't have to have a helmet. Quadbikes - no helmet. (helmets for motorcycles became compulsory in the UK as late as 1973, by which time they were being worn by 88% of people anyhow). There are even lobbies currently fighting hard against moves to oblige qudbikes to be built with rollbars.

Mudguards - Fenders - are, of course, obligatory on any roadgonig vehicle with an engine.

I see a lot of love here for Peaky Blinders. I watched the first season and could barely stand the trite and predictable love triangle between Shelby, Inspector Campbell, and Grace. From what I remember Grace left at the end of season 1. My sigh of relief didn't last long after hearing she was back for s2! Does season 2 get any better or does that hackneyed storyline continue??

I didn't mind it as much as that - so much else to like - though yes, it was hackneyed. She does turn up later, but there's a lot else gonig on and she gradually becomes less of a central thing, especially in the third series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran